• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Hi everyone,
I would greatly appreciate some tips and guidance from those who have sold their house in their home country and transferred the funds to America to purchase a house. I would be grateful to know how best to transfer the funds securely and minimize the taxation.

Thank you

Hi everyone,
I would greatly appreciate some tips and guidance from those who have sold their house in their home country and transferred the funds to America to purchase a house. I would be grateful to know how best to transfer the funds securely and minimize the taxation.

Thank you
Well that‘s totally dependent on your home country - what tax system it has and what financial infrastructure is like.

Are there any implications regarding taxation in America regarding my above query?
If you sell your house after becoming a green card holder then maybe, depending on what your home country capital gains tax rate is and whether there is a double tax treaty between the countries. That’s the case regardless whether you bring the money into the US.

Hi folks, did anyone apply for SSN after receiving a GC recently?
How long does it take these times (considering covid) to receive it?

A majority of us in this thread processed CP so our SSNs were sent when we first arrived. Given that you are already in the US and processed AOS my suggestion would be to contact your closest office and check with them, I have heard other say that their offices are closed to the public but you can mail in your forms.

I'm interested in this as well.
I do have SSN - but the one that says Valid for work with DHS authorization only.
I know I'm supposed to change that card with the new one that will have that condition removed. But with offices closed, I'm not sure if I will be able to do so?
My work authorization has been cleared with e-verify, even though I still haven't received physical green card. However, I'm afraid that prospective employers may have an issue with ssn card with that condition inscribed in it.
Does anyone have similar experiences?

I do have SSN - but the one that says Valid for work with DHS authorization only.
I know I'm supposed to change that card with the new one that will have that condition removed. But with offices closed, I'm not sure if I will be able to do so?
My work authorization has been cleared with e-verify, even though I still haven't received physical green card. However, I'm afraid that prospective employers may have an issue with ssn card with that condition inscribed in it.
I'd suggest giving your local office a call and confirming your options, as I said before while the offices may be closed to the public they are still processing mailed in forms

i got the same issue and whn i called the SSA i was told its better to wait if its not so urgent since they need physical green card to mail to them to have the condition removed from the restricted ssn with the form and also they dont provide tracking number so its up in the air with few weeks to month of wait so I am just waiting for the offices to open in person service.
Hope this help!

i got the same issue and whn i called the SSA i was told its better to wait if its not so urgent since they need physical green card to mail to them to have the condition removed from the restricted ssn with the form and also they dont provide tracking number so its up in the air with few weeks to month of wait so I am just waiting for the offices to open in person service.
Hope this help!
They wouldn't accomodate you with in-person service?
Honestly, it is kind of ridiculous that they are still keeping their offices closed. I get that the work that they provide is probably putting them in higher risk group than other state and federal agencies, but not providing at least some kind of work (even if it's at limitted capacity) just doesn't make any sense to me.

I just hope that any prospective employer will be fine with just Green Card and old version of SSN card+results from e-Verify.
Thanks for the update @AOS2020

They wouldn't accomodate you with in-person service?
Honestly, it is kind of ridiculous that they are still keeping their offices closed. I get that the work that they provide is probably putting them in higher risk group than other state and federal agencies, but not providing at least some kind of work (even if it's at limitted capacity) just doesn't make any sense to me.

I just hope that any prospective employer will be fine with just Green Card and old version of SSN card+results from e-Verify.
Thanks for the update @AOS2020
They are providing work at limited capacity. Have you ever been inside a SSA office? From my personal experience having visited, and having visited a supposedly “quieter” office ... it’s obvious why they are closed, they would be super spreaders beyond a doubt. And it’s not just the people who work there, it is the fact that a lot of the people who use their services fall into highly vulnerable risk categories. To me it is not at all ridiculous why their offices are closed for walk-ins.
Now, back to the fact that they are not in total shutdown. First, they are open for appointment only “critical” services, so you can call and see if this counts. Second, if your office will accommodate people by accepting by mail what they usually only accept in person (I know some are, not sure if all are) and you're happy to send your green card through regular mail you have that option...( I wouldn’t personally). You have your work authorization in the form of a green card anyway.

They are providing work at limited capacity. Have you ever been inside a SSA office? From my personal experience having visited, and having visited a supposedly “quieter” office ... it’s obvious why they are closed, they would be super spreaders beyond a doubt. And it’s not just the people who work there, it is the fact that a lot of the people who use their services fall into highly vulnerable risk categories. To me it is not at all ridiculous why their offices are closed for walk-ins.
Now, back to the fact that they are not in total shutdown. First, they are open for appointment only “critical” services, so you can call and see if this counts. Second, if your office will accommodate people by accepting by mail what they usually only accept in person (I know some are, not sure if all are) and you're happy to send your green card through regular mail you have that option...( I wouldn’t personally). You have your work authorization in the form of a green card anyway.
I understand why they are closed for walk-ins and I totally approve of that. As I mentioned above, I totally get that they would be in high risk if they opened so. I got my SSN at Manhattan office, so I've seen how crazy it can get there :)
I just commented that based on the post above, that they would not allow even making appointment for replacement of SSN. Honestly, I would not feel confident sending my Green Card through mail. So I guess, if I won't have a problem with employer, I will wait until the sitation stabilizies before I request updated card.

I understand why they are closed for walk-ins and I totally approve of that. As I mentioned above, I totally get that they would be in high risk if they opened so. I got my SSN at Manhattan office, so I've seen how crazy it can get there :)
I just commented that based on the post above, that they would not allow even making appointment for replacement of SSN. Honestly, I would not feel confident sending my Green Card through mail. So I guess, if I won't have a problem with employer, I will wait until the sitation stabilizies before I request updated card.

Why are you getting worked up over this? It’s not like you currently don’t have a SSN, right? You do, it simply has DHS restrictions written on it. Getting a replacement card is not a “critical” service, so it makes sense for the SSA to not be willing to schedule an appointment for such a service. Any employer will accept what you currently have with your GC. It has never been an issue. As a matter of fact, the GC alone is enough as listed under List A of the I-9 which is the form a new employee fills out.

You can keep the same card for the next 10, 20 years if you want, it is not a problem. The only reason it is recommended to get a replacement non DHS restricted card is for situations where one might have lost their GC, (for example), or a USC who has an expired US passport (or no passport) and they’re trying to start a new job. Basically this person has no applicable document from the List A of an I-9, and this person has to use Lists B and C, if all the person has in that case is a DHS restricted SSN card, they will definitely run into trouble.

And then you keep harping on presenting some e-verify result even after being corrected on the DV2020 AOS thread on how the process works.

Why are you getting worked up over this? It’s not like you currently don’t have a SSN, right? You do, it simply has DHS restrictions written on it. Getting a replacement card is not a “critical” service, so it makes sense for the SSA to not be willing to schedule an appointment for such a service. Any employer will accept what you currently have with your GC. It has never been an issue. As a matter of fact, the GC alone is enough as listed under List A of the I-9 which is the form a new employee fills out.

You can keep the same card for the next 10, 20 years if you want, it is not a problem. The only reason it is recommended to get a replacement non DHS restricted card is for situations where one might have lost their GC, (for example), or a USC who has an expired US passport (or no passport) and they’re trying to start a new job. Basically this person has no applicable document from the List A of an I-9, and this person has to use Lists B and C, if all the person has in that case is a DHS restricted SSN card, they will definitely run into trouble.

And then you keep harping on presenting some e-verify result even after being corrected on the DV2020 AOS thread on how the process works.

That's great info. Myself and my wife both goth new jobs after we got approved, with the old social security cards that had the conditions written on them.

Thought maybe we were being a bit naughty by not having gotten new ones. I'll take any excuse not to go back to a social security office ever again haha.

Hey guys,

So I activated my GC in Nov 2019 an left the US on 13Nov2019. I started applying to jobs in the US from abroad etc. and then Covid happened, and I haven't been back to the US since.

I am not ready to make the move now, specially with the current situation, I don't want to quit and go there without a job... For the moment, I think i will stay in my home-country (Belgium). But I am also not ready to give up on the GC... that's why I am planning to do a trip next month so I don't stay outside of the US for more than a year and abandon my PR status.

1- Do you think I will have issues at the borders ?

2- Any airports to avoid where the officers are more annoying than others ? or airports known to be more chill ? (I remember on my activation trip, I went through LAX and there it's all automated, I saw GC holders scanning their cards in the machines and go through and no one talked to them).

Thank you for any tips!
Kassem

LAX is chill, don’t go through Dulles (annoying CBP). [
Hey guys,

So I activated my GC in Nov 2019 an left the US on 13Nov2019. I started applying to jobs in the US from abroad etc. and then Covid happened, and I haven't been back to the US since.

I am not ready to make the move now, specially with the current situation, I don't want to quit and go there without a job... For the moment, I think i will stay in my home-country (Belgium). But I am also not ready to give up on the GC... that's why I am planning to do a trip next month so I don't stay outside of the US for more than a year and abandon my PR status.

2- Any airports to avoid where the officers are more annoying than others ? or airports known to be more chill ? (I remember on my activation trip, I went through LAX and there it's all automated, I saw GC holders scanning their cards in the machines and go through and no one talked to them).

Thank you for any tips!
Kassem
QUOTE="Kassem, post: 2535887, member: 417821"]Hey guys,

Thank you for any tips!
Kassem[/QUOTE]

Hey guys,

Thank you for any tips!
Kassem

1. Expect to be questioned. If you are truthful in your responses (as you should be) and you basically tell them what you’ve told us above, expect that they will ask if you understand the Residence requirements... and there will then be a note on your record (and possibly but not necessarily) in your passport that you were advised residence requirements. They can’t take your green card away (and I doubt you’d be pressured to sign a i407 just yet) , but it will make it much harder the next time you enter if that time is also not intended to be permanent.
2. No, it doesn’t work to try game POEs. Some of those automated machines put a big X on the paper printout which means you need to talk to a human. (at least the last time I did non global entry, a few years ago).

More generally, it’s only a very small percentage of people (other than those who come on work visas or employment based GCs obviously) who manage to find jobs from abroad - have you considered trying to use your “keep my green card” trip to set up some interviews? For most of us, you need to take that leap of faith and just move (obviously having done some research as to best areas for your type of work, etc). I realize right now is a particularly difficult time to do that of course, but at some point you probably need to be prepared to do that.

1. Expect to be questioned. If you are truthful in your responses (as you should be) and you basically tell them what you’ve told us above, expect that they will ask if you understand the Residence requirements... and there will then be a note on your record (and possibly but not necessarily) in your passport that you were advised residence requirements. They can’t take your green card away (and I doubt you’d be pressured to sign a i407 just yet) , but it will make it much harder the next time you enter if that time is also not intended to be permanent.
2. No, it doesn’t work to try game POEs. Some of those automated machines put a big X on the paper printout which means you need to talk to a human. (at least the last time I did non global entry, a few years ago).

More generally, it’s only a very small percentage of people (other than those who come on work visas or employment based GCs obviously) who manage to find jobs from abroad - have you considered trying to use your “keep my green card” trip to set up some interviews? For most of us, you need to take that leap of faith and just move (obviously having done some research as to best areas for your type of work, etc). I realize right now is a particularly difficult time to do that of course, but at some point you probably need to be prepared to do that.

@SusieQQQ Thank you, That’s a clear and honest response.

So, I was in the late stages of 3 interviewing processes and close to landing a job (I have a kind of a high profile/niche role the pharma industry) but then because of Covid, the roles were put on hold ... And yes as you said, it’s high risk to quit and leave everything in the current economic context. So the idea is just to give myself another year in the hope that this Covid nightmare will be over. It’s so hard to give up on a green card ...

But yeah i realise, this might be my last chance.

Thank you Susie

Hey guys, I have a question regarding SSN. So I recently received my GC in the mail and now the next step is to apply for a SSN card. As it was recently discussed, the Social Security Offices are closed due to Covid and the only way for applying is by sending in my documents via mail. I'm not sure if I will take the risk of sending my GC in the mail, or maybe wait. But the actual question, am I allowed to work as self-employed (freelancer) without having a SSN right now. I will have it by the tax filling deadline for this year, and I know that I don't need a work authorization document as a LPR to work right now, but can it happen without currently having a SSN issued to me?

Thank you for your time