• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Hey guys, I have a question regarding SSN. So I recently received my GC in the mail and now the next step is to apply for a SSN card. As it was recently discussed, the Social Security Offices are closed due to Covid and the only way for applying is by sending in my documents via mail. I'm not sure if I will take the risk of sending my GC in the mail, or maybe wait. But the actual question, am I allowed to work as self-employed (freelancer) without having a SSN right now. I will have it by the tax filling deadline for this year, and I know that I don't need a work authorization document as a LPR to work right now, but can it happen without currently having a SSN issued to me?

Thank you for your time
I can’t help you with a lot of those questions but sending your green card to them in the mail is definitely not a good idea

Hi everyone,
I would greatly appreciate some tips and guidance from those who have sold their house in their home country and transferred the funds to America to purchase a house. I would be grateful to know how best to transfer the funds securely and minimize the taxation.

Thank you

Too late to help you I guess, but for others I used Transferwise and had zero problems with taxes and hidden fees. (this was in June 2019 when I moved here, but I don't think anything has changed)

Too late to help you I guess, but for others I used Transferwise and had zero problems with taxes and hidden fees. (this was in June 2019 when I moved here, but I don't think anything has changed)

Thanks for this tip. I have a question for you, Is this (transfer wise) same with western union and Xoom? why did you choose transfer wise over them?

I don't know much about Xoom, but I have used Western Union and Transferwise a lot and prefer Transferwise. Transferwise is online only so they don't have physical stores to pick up hard cash if that's what you need, but honestly, I don't see why anyone would need that in a modern country.

What I did was setup an account for USD in Transerwise and transfer my NZ funds to it. Then when I got to the US and got a US account, I was able to transfer my money directly to it from my Transferwise account. Fees a very transparent, they tell you exactly what they are on the page as you make the transactions.

https://transumo.com/westernunion-vs-transferwise/

But honestly you probably won't go wrong with either.

Hi,

I have a couple of questions related to my tax return (2019) as a new LPR. I became an LPR in November 2019. This year I submitted my tax return via a consultant here in Belgium (country of citizenship). He submitted the 1040 tax returns for US resident and citizens + FBAR for me.

1- I read that there is something called dual-status tax return, which applies for example to LPRs at their first year of arrival, as they have a non-resident status for a part of the year and then the resident status for the rest of the year (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxation-of-dual-status-aliens). Did any of you use this ? (apparently we have to write on top of the tax return Dual-status return).

I guess this is relevant if we have US income during the first part of year, which i did not), but just checking to be sure.

2- In the form 1116 (Foreign tax credit) to attach to the 1040 tax return, there is a question about the country of residence. There, my accountant wrote that I was a resident of Belgium, my country of citizenship for that fiscal year. Is this an issue ? I don't want to this to look like i abandoned my LPR status:
- Is it because during most of 2019 I was indeed a resident of Belgium, so he had to write that ?
- Is this not relevant because I am filing the 1040 US resident tax form anyway, so it shows that I am a US resident with my address in the US clearly shown?

Many thanks for any input,
kasem

Hello,

After you already received your green card, how long can you travel out of the US without losing your green card? I did some research online and it looks like the limit is 6 months, but is this 6 months on a single trip or overall? For example, lets say i travel abroad for a period of 3 months, come back, travel again a few months later for a period of 5 months, so that's a total of 8 months outside of the US, although not continuously, will i still lose the green card? or can i travel as much as i want as long as a single trip doesn't exceed 6 months?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello,

After you already received your green card, how long can you travel out of the US without losing your green card? I did some research online and it looks like the limit is 6 months, but is this 6 months on a single trip or overall? For example, lets say i travel abroad for a period of 3 months, come back, travel again a few months later for a period of 5 months, so that's a total of 8 months outside of the US, although not continuously, will i still lose the green card? or can i travel as much as i want as long as a single trip doesn't exceed 6 months?

Thanks in advance.

it is one year, not 6 months, of continuous absence before you are presumed to have abandoned your green card, but be careful of spending too much time outside of the US. You should be inside the US enough to show you are resident here. (And obviously file tax.) if you want to be out for longer than a year, you can file a re-entry permit.
Be aware that while a year is the maximum to keep your green card, if you are out for longer than 6 months it breaks the continuous residence requirement for naturalization, and pushes out the date at which you can apply to become a citizen.
I have some links below for you to reference, all official links.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af.../international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident ( read all the sections!)
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/B5en.pdf
https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/l...ical-presence-requirements-for-naturalization

I have not logged in here for quite a while. I am a GC holder after getting the DV and starting its process about 6 years ago. My family and i had already been in the US for about 4 years before that on work visa. I thought about this forum after I found out we are able to apply for US citizenship next month. All the memories of the help I received here came flooding back.
I am happy to answer any questions about life living here in my situation. I am Australian and have live in Utah most of that time. I understand it would be very stressful going through the DV process right now, in the currently climate. A lot of your friends and family will not understand why you would want to move here, but I still believe in the US and its people!! Good luck to everyone!!

So, a DV visa holder here, issued in September, waiting anxiously for the PP to be removed one way or the other and planning to take a short activation trip. My qustion is - I will have to take a COVID test in the US in order to fly back home, and I'm struggling to find a way to do it where you get the result quickly enough. Most places gurantee 3-5 days which is obviously not in the 72h timeframe... The small list of airports that have testing facilities only provide a rapid molecular test for quick results which is unaccepatable for travel. Their PCR tests, again, take days. Does anyone know where one can find a proper "travel testing" in the US, preferably in NYC/DC area?

So, a DV visa holder here, issued in September, waiting anxiously for the PP to be removed one way or the other and planning to take a short activation trip. My qustion is - I will have to take a COVID test in the US in order to fly back home, and I'm struggling to find a way to do it where you get the result quickly enough. Most places gurantee 3-5 days which is obviously not in the 72h timeframe... The small list of airports that have testing facilities only provide a rapid molecular test for quick results which is unaccepatable for travel. Their PCR tests, again, take days. Does anyone know where one can find a proper "travel testing" in the US, preferably in NYC/DC area?
Are you saying that the rapid tests are not acceptable for where you are traveling? I’m not familiar with exactly which test does what - I know a few places in NYC you can get a rapid test but not sure if that is acceptable for you.

Are you saying that the rapid tests are not acceptable for where you are traveling? I’m not familiar with exactly which test does what - I know a few places in NYC you can get a rapid test but not sure if that is acceptable for you.
Thanks Susie, a "rapid" test is usually a molecular antigen test and not a PCR test. Most destination require a PCR test which is far more accurate.

Thanks Susie, a "rapid" test is usually a molecular antigen test and not a PCR test. Most destination require a PCR test which is far more accurate.
Ok, with the heavy demand for testing you’re probably not likely to see that wait time fall unfortunately. In our CA county PCR tests take 1-2 days to come back (but you have to be a county resident and anyway it’s too far for you), and I know from talking to east coast friends it just does take much longer there. Maaaaaybe vaccine rollout will lead to less pressure on testing and shorter wait tI’m es by the time you activate, but that’s more hope than strategy.

Ok, with the heavy demand for testing you’re probably not likely to see that wait time fall unfortunately. In our CA county PCR tests take 1-2 days to come back (but you have to be a county resident and anyway it’s too far for you), and I know from talking to east coast friends it just does take much longer there. Maaaaaybe vaccine rollout will lead to less pressure on testing and shorter wait tI’m es by the time you activate, but that’s more hope than strategy.
Unfortunately that's what I hear too... I'm leaning towards a mail-in test, these companies gurantee 1-2 day results but I will have to plan it very carefully so I fall inside the required timeline...

Unfortunately that's what I hear too... I'm leaning towards a mail-in test, these companies gurantee 1-2 day results but I will have to plan it very carefully so I fall inside the required timeline...
Is there not a drop off location perhaps? Just thinking that my daughter is at college in NY and they have drop off boxes for their mandated weekly tests. You obviously couldn’t use the college ones but possibly the company they outsource it to/others who do mail in tests would have the same options elsewhere in the city.

I will look into it, but from what I've seen most mail-in companies provide free overnight delivery to the lab via FedEx or UPS, so assuming I send the package 3 days prior to my departure then I should be fine. I think.

I will look into it, but from what I've seen most mail-in companies provide free overnight delivery to the lab via FedEx or UPS, so assuming I send the package 3 days prior to my departure then I should be fine. I think.
Quite a few countries are requiring a negative test to enter - I'd suggest checking with your airline as they seem to be the ones needing to see the negative test before you board, they may be able to provide further info

I already got my shots since I'm an "essential worker" now just trying to survive the ice over in Austin. Currently -7c and expected to get down to -13c. In Austin!

Hey guys, which bank was easiest to open an account with? I just have the passport visa and driving license and need to transfer money asap. Chase wanted plastic residence card and BoA wanted the proof of address which I don't have as I'm staying at my friends. thanks

Have you not got a rental agreement with someone yet? The contract for that should be sufficient for proof of address.