• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

1. What do you mean by ”process”? It’s pretty simple for most people: fill in form, go to biometrics, wait for interview, then wait for oath ceremony. The times between these steps vary by FO and the full process can take anything from a few months to over a year,
2. See above
3. Yes
4. The form only asks for the last 5 years (3 years if married to usc) which should be maximum date of issue of GC
5. If you submit it on online (recommended), your myuscis account will have a copy of the form and all documents submitted.

Thank you Susie for you reply, and yes i understand the general process until the Oath ceremony, I was wondering is the applicaton will be submitted to USCIS in Arizona or TX center and then they send the file to the field office or the onlin form will be direct to the field office?
For us, we are DV lottery so it is 5 years. we will be 90 days or as you advised before 88 days to apply before the 5 years anniversary.
We did 2 international visits since we beame GC holders around 92 days total which should be OK and still can apply.. One online account for each one of us to submitt our applications as parents or we need to creat two accounts? We apprecite any comments or correction.

Thank you Susie for you reply, and yes i understand the general process until the Oath ceremony, I was wondering is the applicaton will be submitted to USCIS in Arizona or TX center and then they send the file to the field office or the onlin form will be direct to the field office?
For us, we are DV lottery so it is 5 years. we will be 90 days or as you advised before 88 days to apply before the 5 years anniversary.
We did 2 international visits since we beame GC holders around 92 days total which should be OK and still can apply.. One online account for each one of us to submitt our applications as parents or we need to creat two accounts? We apprecite any comments or correction.
My understanding is that it goes direct to your field office when filed online, I may be wrong.
You will need an online account for each person, the system does not accept the same account for more than one A number. (You also cannot reuse the same email or phone number for different people.)

Hi again all! I didn’t get the job, for those of you who read my post about declaring money earned from New Zealand. But luckily I’ve managed to convince five of my maths students to carry on with me via Skype, and we have savings. So there’s that...
More questions though. We’ve decided to make the big move on June 18th. Not the greatest timing I know, but I’d rather move while this Executive Order is current than wait for the next one, and we can’t go in and out because... New Zealand. Did you all have any problems with signing up for things when you first arrived? (Eg electric, internet, mobiles, banks...) We were going to stay with friends or Air BnB for the first month but because of Covid we’re going to move straight into a rental apartment. But worried there will be things it’s difficult to get before our SS numbers come through.
Cheers and hope you’re all keeping safe!

My understanding is that it goes direct to your field office when filed online, I may be wrong.
You will need an online account for each person, the system does not accept the same account for more than one A number. (You also cannot reuse the same email or phone number for different people.)

Is passport photographs needed to be send with the n-4-00 application paper?
Also confirming support documents, GC, marriage and birth certificate for each applicant.
Children’s birth certificates only or their GC too? We are DV winner/ GC holder.
Can you guys let me know anything else I have to send?
Thanks

Also confirming support documents, GC, marriage and birth certificate for each applicant.
Children’s birth certificates only or their GC too? We are DV winner/ GC holder.
Thanks

You need to go through the N-400 Instructions itself for your own good. This forum is dedicated to DV lottery, you know.

Thanks
File online, it tells you what to submit. But no photos, they’ll do the photos at the biometric appointmen.

Hi all, idk if this is the right thread to post questions past the AOS approval but I have quick questions on what are my options past GC approval? Like

1. do I get to travel right away or I will have to wait a few months to make a trip? I plan to go back home asap the airports are back to normal operations back home (which I presume might take few months)
2. what happens to my sevis (F1 status)? and do I need to update my info anywhere else beside letting my DSO/school know about my change of status
3. what are the consequences of dropping school for a year so that I don't have to pay hight tutions? I plan to cont my study but may b take a break for a year so that my fees are reduced to the in-state or LPR charge category?
4. Besides applying for nonrestricted SSN what else do you all advise me to do so that my records are clear and good to excel in my career choices?
5. lastly since I am or prob by now was on F1 I am not paying SNN taxes yet, should I let my employer to chop SSN taxes from my paycheck after I have my nonrestricted SSN or they should start doing it asap I get my GC on hand?

thank you for your inputs to my questions.

Hi all, idk if this is the right thread to post questions past the AOS approval but I have quick questions on what are my options past GC approval? Like

1. do I get to travel right away or I will have to wait a few months to make a trip? I plan to go back home asap the airports are back to normal operations back home (which I presume might take few months)
2. what happens to my sevis (F1 status)? and do I need to update my info anywhere else beside letting my DSO/school know about my change of status
3. what are the consequences of dropping school for a year so that I don't have to pay hight tutions? I plan to cont my study but may b take a break for a year so that my fees are reduced to the in-state or LPR charge category?
4. Besides applying for nonrestricted SSN what else do you all advise me to do so that my records are clear and good to excel in my career choices?
5. lastly since I am or prob by now was on F1 I am not paying SNN taxes yet, should I let my employer to chop SSN taxes from my paycheck after I have my nonrestricted SSN or they should start doing it asap I get my GC on hand?

thank you for your inputs to my questions.

1. You can travel as soon as you want, but if you leave before your physical green card arrives you’ll need an i551 stamp in your passport, which requires an infopass, which sounds hard to get these days. So technically immediately but in practice wait for your green card.
2. You are a LPR so no longer an F1 student. Inform your DSO of your change of status. Again, you may want to wait for your physical green card for this (they may need a copy).
3. Speak to your college’s bursar department, depending on how long you have been there and college tuition rules, you may qualify for instate tuition. If not, just becoming an LPR is unlikely to change that afaik (but there may be local rules that do). There is no USC or LPR “charge category” - if it’s a public you are either instate or out of state for tuition purposes, regardless anything else. Privates charge the same for everyone. However, becoming an LPR changes your student status from international to domestic and may open up more funding sources to you, both from the college and federal sources (fill in FAFSA for your next school year).
5. In my understanding that can start immediately. You keep the same SSN. You want to start contributing as early as you can to maximize your benefit later in life.

1. You can travel as soon as you want, but if you leave before your physical green card arrives you’ll need an i551 stamp in your passport, which requires an infopass, which sounds hard to get these days. So technically immediately but in practice wait for your green card.
2. You are a LPR so no longer an F1 student. Inform your DSO of your change of status. Again, you may want to wait for your physical green card for this (they may need a copy).
3. Speak to your college’s bursar department, depending on how long you have been there and college tuition rules, you may qualify for instate tuition. If not, just becoming an LPR is unlikely to change that afaik (but there may be local rules that do). There is no USC or LPR “charge category” - if it’s a public you are either instate or out of state for tuition purposes, regardless anything else. Privates charge the same for everyone. However, becoming an LPR changes your student status from international to domestic and may open up more funding sources to you, both from the college and federal sources (fill in FAFSA for your next school year).
5. In my understanding that can start immediately. You keep the same SSN. You want to start contributing as early as you can to maximize your benefit later in life.

Thank you @SusieQQQ all this information is coming to a big help. I will wait for the physical card to arrive before making any moves. thank you,

Hi all!! Just wondering if anyone else did the crazy thing and moved during the pandemic, like we did?
If so, how long did it take for your green cards and social security cards to arrive? We’ve been over here six weeks and I’ve just had an awesome job offer (yes incredibly lucky!).
Can I start work before my SSN is created? I just tried to apply manually and was told I can’t until the SS office reopens

Hi all!! Just wondering if anyone else did the crazy thing and moved during the pandemic, like we did?
If so, how long did it take for your green cards and social security cards to arrive? We’ve been over here six weeks and I’ve just had an awesome job offer (yes incredibly lucky!).
Can I start work before my SSN is created? I just tried to apply manually and was told I can’t until the SS office reopens

You should be able to ask for an emergency appointment because you will need it for the job offer. The employer is supposed to verify your provided SSN within a few days of starting work.

You should be able to ask for an emergency appointment because you will need it for the job offer. The employer is supposed to verify your provided SSN within a few days of starting work.
I can’t work out how to do that. The 1800 number guy and the bloke I spoke to at the field office were both extremely unhelpful. The first sent us forms to fill in, but they’re supposed to be handed in in person. So frustrating! I’ll phone again and hope to get someone else :(

I can’t work out how to do that. The 1800 number guy and the bloke I spoke to at the field office were both extremely unhelpful. The first sent us forms to fill in, but they’re supposed to be handed in in person. So frustrating! I’ll phone again and hope to get someone else :(
Hi,
You need to contact your local SSA office (https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp) and contact them. They will schedule an appointment if you have a job offer letter with a starting date. They will ask you to fax/email your job offer letter and other supporting documents.

Hi,
You need to contact your local SSA office (https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp) and contact them. They will schedule an appointment if you have a job offer letter with a starting date. They will ask you to fax/email your job offer letter and other supporting documents.
Oh really?? That’s bloody good news! The guy I spoke to at my office said no appointments full stop. I don’t have a job offer letter yet though. Will phone back when (fingers crossed!) I do!

Oh really?? That’s bloody good news! The guy I spoke to at my office said no appointments full stop. I don’t have a job offer letter yet though. Will phone back when (fingers crossed!) I do!

The SSA can't do anything for you over the phone. Paperwork is needed.

Being recently though this myself I can say you can start work as soon as you get you Permanent Resident Card. Once you get on the FTE you have 90 days to provide/update your SSN with your employer.

Regarding the appointments, USCIS might not send your paperwork to the SSA and you'll have to fill out an SS-5 form and mail it via snail mail to your local SSA office. You can find the form online.
Be sure to put down a phone number (if you don't have one, which is a possibility without an SSN, you can get a virtual phone number on Skype - you just need wifi for that to work). The SSA will call you and say they don't schedule any appointments unless you really, like REALLY, need that number. Just say that you must have it to continue your employment and they'll request your employer to fax them (yeah, fax them...) a letter stating just that. Your HR department should whip it up in 5 minutes.

Then they'll call you back again with an interview date. Just go to the local office and you're done. I got my card on the 6th day after.