• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Hey All,

I arrived to Austin, TX and I'm waiting for my SSN and GC. Do you know if I have to do something now ? Or just wait ?

One of my friend, a GC winner, told me that I need to go to SS Administration to see I my case is OK.

Thank you all

Hey All,

I arrived to Austin, TX and I'm waiting for my SSN and GC. Do you know if I have to do something now ? Or just wait ?

One of my friend, a GC winner, told me that I need to go to SS Administration to see I my case is OK.

Thank you all

When did you arrive? In our experience it normally takes about 2 weeks for the SSN card to arrive. If it takes longer than that then I’d go check at SSA.
Presuming you paid your green card fee, all you do is wait.

Please let me know how you find Austin as that is one of the cities I'm looking at (along with a few in North Carolina and Oregon)

Please let me know how you find Austin as that is one of the cities I'm looking at (along with a few in North Carolina and Oregon)
I'm new here so I don't really know if I can provide you accurate information. But feel free to ask me all the questions you want !

hi everyone,

I received my GC (It took 2 weeks) but not my SSN is it normal ? How should I contact to know if everything is ok?

Hello fellow immigrants,
First time poster here although have been occasionally using this forum for info, so thank you everybody for your contributions.

Wondering if anybody can help with a question about nominating an address for GC delivery if you don’t have a US address?

I know this has been asked many times but can’t seem to find any posts from somebody who has actually been through that experience.

I plan to supply the address of a serviced apartment I will be staying at initially, but can only stay in the USA 1 month as I need to go back to tie up loose ends. Therefore unlikely I will be in the US long enough to receive my GC.

I’ve read some posts about having mail held by USPS is problematic so not sure if that is a good option?

Any tips from somebody who has been through the same situation would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hello fellow immigrants,
First time poster here although have been occasionally using this forum for info, so thank you everybody for your contributions.

Wondering if anybody can help with a question about nominating an address for GC delivery if you don’t have a US address?

I know this has been asked many times but can’t seem to find any posts from somebody who has actually been through that experience.

I plan to supply the address of a serviced apartment I will be staying at initially, but can only stay in the USA 1 month as I need to go back to tie up loose ends. Therefore unlikely I will be in the US long enough to receive my GC.

I’ve read some posts about having mail held by USPS is problematic so not sure if that is a good option?

Any tips from somebody who has been through the same situation would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Do you have anyone that you can trust in the USA that you can get it sent to?

I
Hey All,

Thank you all

I dont live in Austin, TX but i have visited there several times and its a great place to be, in my opinion. Housing prices are going up but they are some good job opportunities down there, depending on your professional field.

Try searching the internet as well for additional info.

Hi All, we've been in the US for three months (arrived in January to activate my GC and have stayed since) checking things out but we're really struggling to get work (South California). I'm a finance professional with lots of qualifications and many years experience but for whatever reason I can't seem to get a break. I'm thinking of heading back to Europe to work and save some money before trying again. My question is, if I return home to Europe in April, how long can I return for - one year from January (activated visa), one year from April (when I return) or will it be six months since I've stayed here for over three months from when I first arrived (probably longer than average activation trip)

This might be a dumb question, but doesn’t it make more sense to move somewhere in the US where more jobs in your field are, seeing as you are talking about moving?

This might be a dumb question, but doesn’t it make more sense to move somewhere in the US where more jobs in your field are, seeing as you are talking about moving?
To be honest we only moved here because we wanted to live in So Cal. It's not the US per se I want to live in, but specifically California. I would rather live in Paris or London than another part of the US. I appreciate I'm in a privileged position and moved for lifestyle factors rather than economic necessity.

Sure... but then why would you want to try again after a year? Jobs are plentiful now and if you can’t get now, which is most likely due to being in the wrong area for the type of finance you do, then tbh I doubt it’s going to get better in a year, especially if that year is experience outside rather than inside the US.

Sure... but then why would you want to try again after a year? Jobs are plentiful now and if you can’t get now, which is most likely due to being in the wrong area for the type of finance you do, then tbh I doubt it’s going to get better in a year, especially if that year is experience outside rather than inside the US.
Thanks, I have other business interests in Europe which I can potentially liquidate and then perhaps set up a business in the US. However I need sufficient time to do this which brings me back to my question about how long I can return for?

Thanks, I have other business interests in Europe which I can potentially liquidate and then perhaps set up a business in the US. However I need sufficient time to do this which brings me back to my question about how long I can return for?

Max a year, unless you get a re-entry permit first, then 2 years

Is it absolutely necessary to get a credit card in US? I have worked hard to get rid of massive credit debt and currently fine just with a visa debit card so Im really hoping I’m not forced to get another credit card!