• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Hi there,
Is it needs to report the USCIS if you moved to another city or changed the location or home address?
Thanks

Any 2018 DV winners move to US recently still waiting on their GC in the mail?
It's been 2 months and my card status hasn't changed.
I know USCIS say 120 days - but I know that most new immigrants receive theirs in the mail much sooner than this.

Wondering if anyone else who immigrated around the same time as me have received theirs or still waiting.

Hi,

First time filing US taxes. Activated in september 2017 but have not moved yet. Is it correct that i’ll need to file as a non-resident for January - date in September before i activated and as a US resident from date i activated in september - 31 December 2017? So a “dual resident” return?

Thanks

Hi,

First time filing US taxes. Activated in september 2017 but have not moved yet. Is it correct that i’ll need to file as a non-resident for January - date in September before i activated and as a US resident from date i activated in september - 31 December 2017? So a “dual resident” return?

Thanks
You may choose to file a US Resident return for all of 2017. The decision really depends on your personal financial circumstances .

Hi,

Thanks
That’s how it’s normally done. As euro says, you may choose to file as a resident for the full year, though that’s usually not the most tax efficient way, you’d need to look at your individual circumstances to decide.

Are there any benefits to filing as resident for the entire tax year? I am in the exact same situation as @lottic and have been advised I can file either way.

Are there any benefits to filing as resident for the entire tax year? I am in the exact same situation as @lottic and have been advised I can file either way.

Depends on your particular situation. I’m no expert at all but from what I can make out, it usually suits most people to file for part of the year as they can usually (unless very high earners and/or resident for almost all of the year) get any foreign income earned to fall under the exemption and thus easily have no US tax owing. If you have any issues like capital gains tax, specific large deductions, concerns about double tax treaties etc you should probably get a professional to do it.

I understand this isn't a tax forum but I have hunted everywhere for an answer to what I feel is a fairly generic question for new LPR's so please assist. I feel this information will be very beneficial to successful DV winners. So far the entire DV process has been a breeze for me, except for taxes.

The simple example of moving to the USA part way through a tax year. This is assuming there are no other complications such as owning a house, earning money in either country once not physically present, or holding any other financial product in a country once not physically present.

Example:
  • Work for a local company in home country for start of calendar year 2017
  • Move to USA and activate LPR status midway through 2017
  • Work in a USA based company in the USA for end of calendar year 2017
Questions I have are:

1) Do we need to declare the income we earned in our home country before entering/activating our LPR status? If so, what form to fill in?
2) If our home country has a tax treaty with the USA - how is this reflected in the tax return process?

I started to fill in a 1040 form and was going to attach form 8833 to declare treaty based disclosure however the legal jargon made me second guess that it could result in the termination of US Residency.

Thanks,
Peter

I understand this isn't a tax forum but I have hunted everywhere for an answer to what I feel is a fairly generic question for new LPR's so please assist. I feel this information will be very beneficial to successful DV winners. So far the entire DV process has been a breeze for me, except for taxes.

The simple example of moving to the USA part way through a tax year. This is assuming there are no other complications such as owning a house, earning money in either country once not physically present, or holding any other financial product in a country once not physically present.

Example:
  • Work for a local company in home country for start of calendar year 2017
  • Move to USA and activate LPR status midway through 2017
  • Work in a USA based company in the USA for end of calendar year 2017
Questions I have are:

1) Do we need to declare the income we earned in our home country before entering/activating our LPR status? If so, what form to fill in?
2) If our home country has a tax treaty with the USA - how is this reflected in the tax return process?

I started to fill in a 1040 form and was going to attach form 8833 to declare treaty based disclosure however the legal jargon made me second guess that it could result in the termination of US Residency.

Thanks,
Peter
This has been discussed elsewhere a few times on this forum, including quite recently, but it ends up in different tgteads at different times is I guess not always easy to find. It’s also on the IRS website. Basically you file dually in your first year, as a non-resident before you get your green card and as a resident after. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxation-of-dual-status-aliens Quite frankly, I’d pay a tax consultant to do it to ensure you get all the deductions, including any foreign income deduction and tax treaty benefits, although tbh that may not be necessary in your simple “one job before and one job after moving with no other assets” scenario. Even with that though you want to ensure you get all the deductions you are allowed.

Thanks Susie - great information. What I had been doing was wrong. Think I will take your advice and get a tax consultant this first time around.

I would like to hear from someone who is/was going through the same situation!

I got my GC in the middle of January this year through AOS and applied for SSN right away. At the office they couldn't verify my immigration info so I was told to wait. They said if my info wouldn't be verified automatically in 15 days, they would send it manually to be verified. Today I found out that they send the info last week and they have no idea how long it takes to hear from immigration.

Anyone who went through the same thing? How long did it take for you?

Soon,,, who is planning to file for naturalization in 2019 from the DV 2014 cohort? Time flies ...

Soon,,, who is planning to file for naturalization in 2019 from the DV 2014 cohort? Time flies ...

I’m 2013 but from right at the end of the (calendar) year (26 Dec!) so I’m there with you guys....
It’s exciting! But I’m also worried about the delays in the process, mainly because I have a child turning 18 in April 2019.
I can’t wait to get my US passport, my home country needs visas to so many places! And to vote in the next presidential election!

I’m 2013 but from right at the end of the (calendar) year (26 Dec!) so I’m there with you guys....
It’s exciting! But I’m also worried about the delays in the process, mainly because I have a child turning 18 in April 2019.
I can’t wait to get my US passport, my home country needs visas to so many places! And to vote in the next presidential election!

Yeah,,, there are quite a backlog... I read the thread regarding Miami Field Office on visa Journey... over 1 year wait time for interviews... and then thats not really the end of it. Some also noted that online applications appear to get processed a bit faster... not sure if that is true but it would make sense in a backlog situation to try to cull the the most manageable applications... Maybe it will ease up later on but I dont expect that... right now they are scheduling interviews for November 2016 filers.

Yeah,,, there are quite a backlog... I read the thread regarding Miami Field Office on visa Journey... over 1 year wait time for interviews... and then thats not really the end of it. Some also noted that online applications appear to get processed a bit faster... not sure if that is true but it would make sense in a backlog situation to try to cull the the most manageable applications... Maybe it will ease up later on but I dont expect that... right now they are scheduling interviews for November 2016 filers.

I’ve also heard online gets processed a bit faster, but the main issue seems to be the FO backlog. Someone on my home forum reported an approx 6 month from filing to oath recently ..I can’t remember where it was, North Carolina maybe. Mine is San Francisco and it seems round about a year.

I’ve also heard online gets processed a bit faster, but the main issue seems to be the FO backlog. Someone on my home forum reported an approx 6 month from filing to oath recently ..I can’t remember where it was, North Carolina maybe. Mine is San Francisco and it seems round about a year.

Yep, it currently takes 12 - 13 months in San Francisco, 13 - 14 in San Jose, CA. FO workload plays a major part in the process. Filers from places like Yakima, WA; Seattle, WA; Cincinnati, OH; Phoenix, AZ; Dallas, TX; and San Bernardino, CA are experiencing turnover period of approximately 3 months from filing to oath ceremony.