1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by SusieQQQ, Oct 13, 2014.

  1. Sam2015

    Sam2015 Member

    Hi there,
    Is it needs to report the USCIS if you moved to another city or changed the location or home address?
  2. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    Yes, within 10 days of moving, until you become a citizen.
    Details https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange
  3. Sam2015

    Sam2015 Member

  4. C.S

    C.S New Member

    Any 2018 DV winners move to US recently still waiting on their GC in the mail?
    It's been 2 months and my card status hasn't changed.
    I know USCIS say 120 days - but I know that most new immigrants receive theirs in the mail much sooner than this.

    Wondering if anyone else who immigrated around the same time as me have received theirs or still waiting.
  5. lottic

    lottic Member


    First time filing US taxes. Activated in september 2017 but have not moved yet. Is it correct that i’ll need to file as a non-resident for January - date in September before i activated and as a US resident from date i activated in september - 31 December 2017? So a “dual resident” return?

  6. EURO2014

    EURO2014 Well-Known Member

    You may choose to file a US Resident return for all of 2017. The decision really depends on your personal financial circumstances .
  7. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    That’s how it’s normally done. As euro says, you may choose to file as a resident for the full year, though that’s usually not the most tax efficient way, you’d need to look at your individual circumstances to decide.
  8. Wingpin

    Wingpin Active Member

    Are there any benefits to filing as resident for the entire tax year? I am in the exact same situation as @lottic and have been advised I can file either way.
  9. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    Depends on your particular situation. I’m no expert at all but from what I can make out, it usually suits most people to file for part of the year as they can usually (unless very high earners and/or resident for almost all of the year) get any foreign income earned to fall under the exemption and thus easily have no US tax owing. If you have any issues like capital gains tax, specific large deductions, concerns about double tax treaties etc you should probably get a professional to do it.
  10. Rainman246

    Rainman246 New Member

    I understand this isn't a tax forum but I have hunted everywhere for an answer to what I feel is a fairly generic question for new LPR's so please assist. I feel this information will be very beneficial to successful DV winners. So far the entire DV process has been a breeze for me, except for taxes.

    The simple example of moving to the USA part way through a tax year. This is assuming there are no other complications such as owning a house, earning money in either country once not physically present, or holding any other financial product in a country once not physically present.

    • Work for a local company in home country for start of calendar year 2017
    • Move to USA and activate LPR status midway through 2017
    • Work in a USA based company in the USA for end of calendar year 2017
    Questions I have are:

    1) Do we need to declare the income we earned in our home country before entering/activating our LPR status? If so, what form to fill in?
    2) If our home country has a tax treaty with the USA - how is this reflected in the tax return process?

    I started to fill in a 1040 form and was going to attach form 8833 to declare treaty based disclosure however the legal jargon made me second guess that it could result in the termination of US Residency.

  11. SusieQQQ

    SusieQQQ Well-Known Member

    This has been discussed elsewhere a few times on this forum, including quite recently, but it ends up in different tgteads at different times is I guess not always easy to find. It’s also on the IRS website. Basically you file dually in your first year, as a non-resident before you get your green card and as a resident after. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxation-of-dual-status-aliens Quite frankly, I’d pay a tax consultant to do it to ensure you get all the deductions, including any foreign income deduction and tax treaty benefits, although tbh that may not be necessary in your simple “one job before and one job after moving with no other assets” scenario. Even with that though you want to ensure you get all the deductions you are allowed.
  12. Rainman246

    Rainman246 New Member

    Thanks Susie - great information. What I had been doing was wrong. Think I will take your advice and get a tax consultant this first time around.

Share This Page