• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

I am doing POE and will stay for 10 days, and then leave for a few months. Should I alert USCIS of that address change even though it's a rental, and what happens after I leave and am no longer in the U.S.?

I would just leave the address at the default (which is the address on your forms where your green card will get sent to) and then change it when you move back permanently.

Hi! I just have a little question here and wish an answer from you, please. I had my interview 10 days ago and my visa was approved…but still I haven’t received my passport yet. Noting that all people who had their interviews with me got their passports. For the records,the status of my case indicates “issued”. Thank you very much!

Hi! I just have a little question here and wish an answer from you, please. I had my interview 10 days ago and my visa was approved…but still I haven’t received my passport yet. Noting that all people who had their interviews with me got their passports. For the records,the status of my case indicates “issued”. Thank you very much!

Contact the embassy - I'm sure there is no problem...

Hi Everyone,

I have a question. I have entered the US on 15th of Sep -- and paid the green card based on the instructions that embassy provided me on the letter 3-4 days before leaving for US.

The thing is that my POE was JFK, and i travelled fro Alaska after few days. I had entered the shipping address my current one in Alaska, but havent received neither the SSN and neither the Green Card. I was at the immigration office and they told me that there is a problem or a backlog that might prolong the process up to 8 months.

Any one has a similar experience?

Also, I have not received the receipt number yet, so i cant track the Green Card at the USCIC website...

Appreciate your help.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question. I have entered the US on 15th of Sep -- and paid the green card based on the instructions that embassy provided me on the letter 3-4 days before leaving for US.

The thing is that my POE was JFK, and i travelled fro Alaska after few days. I had entered the shipping address my current one in Alaska, but havent received neither the SSN and neither the Green Card. I was at the immigration office and they told me that there is a problem or a backlog that might prolong the process up to 8 months.

Also, I have not received the receipt number yet, so i cant track the Green Card at the USCIC website...

Appreciate your help.

You need to visit the nearest SSA office to put in an application for your SSN, it's obvious from the long wait there's no application in the system yet for you.

You need to visit the nearest SSA office to put in an application for your SSN, it's obvious from the long wait there's no application in the system yet for you.
Thanks Mom. Already did so.

And what about the green card -- has anyone had such issue of not receiving the receipt number? or taking up to 8 months to receive the green card?

Thanks a lot

I have a questions for the moderators.
When I filled the form DS260, on the question regarding applying for the SSN numer for me, I ticked 'Yes'. 2 dàys ago I entered US. My POE was Tampa. Today, I went to the SSA office and asked them if someone else has applied for me for SSN (KCC). The guy at the SSA office said that no one has applied for me. I asked him if I can apply there and then, but he said no because if I apply for the number and KCC applies also for the number, then there will be 2 numbers under my name. I thought that if one applies for the number, the other one will see in the system that the application is made once and won't apply again for me. He also said that there will be at least 3 weeks before the application is in the system. What if they don't apply for me at all?
What will happen if I apply for the number now myself? Can the apply for me after that? What will happen if there are 2 SSN under my name?
I can't really wait for a long time for the SSN, considering that without the number I can't rent a place or apply for a job.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have a questions for the moderators.
When I filled the form DS260, on the question regarding applying for the SSN numer for me, I ticked 'Yes'. 2 dàys ago I entered US. My POE was Tampa. Today, I went to the SSA office and asked them if someone else has applied for me for SSN (KCC). The guy at the SSA office said that no one has applied for me. I asked him if I can apply there and then, but he said no because if I apply for the number and KCC applies also for the number, then there will be 2 numbers under my name. I thought that if one applies for the number, the other one will see in the system that the application is made once and won't apply again for me. He also said that there will be at least 3 weeks before the application is in the system. What if they don't apply for me at all?
What will happen if I apply for the number now myself? Can the apply for me after that? What will happen if there are 2 SSN under my name?
I can't really wait for a long time for the SSN, considering that without the number I can't rent a place or apply for a job.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.

You could just wait and see if the system works. Generally you should get the SSN within 2 weeks.

Alternatively, wait a few days and visit another SSA office. Don't mention that there may be an application for you already, and apply from scratch. Stand back and see what happens.

You could just wait and see if the system works. Generally you should get the SSN within 2 weeks.

Alternatively, wait a few days and visit another SSA office. Don't mention that there may be an application for you already, and apply from scratch. Stand back and see what happens.
Thanks Simon for your reply.
If I apply from scratch, then can someone else apply for me again (based on DS-260 form)? If yes, having 2 SSN-s, isn't that an offence?

Thanks Simon for your reply.
If I apply from scratch, then can someone else apply for me again (based on DS-260 form)? If yes, having 2 SSN-s, isn't that an offence?

Stop overthinking the process. The SSA will never issue 2 SSNs to one person, due diligence is taken before the SSN is issued regardless of who submitted the application, or how many applications are in the system for one person.

Hi, anybody know where can I find lawyer about job contracts and taxes? I have questions about 1099 contract, DBA, sole proprietorship, taxes and other things. Is there good forums or portal for it? Or maybe you know someone?
What you recommend where to find?
I looked in General topics but there is very little activity
Thanks a lot

Hi, anybody know where can I find lawyer about job contracts and taxes? I have questions about 1099 contract, DBA, sole proprietorship, taxes and other things. Is there good forums or portal for it? Or maybe you know someone?
What you recommend where to find?
I looked in General topics but there is very little activity
Thanks a lot
Your question is habit too general
If you want to know about job contracts in USA, its a very free labour market and that is down to employer and recruiting agency air employee but subject to specific state regulations such as mimium wage etc.
if yuoare seeking to start a business, sole propreitorship for instance, you will need to identify the state, county and local government... its all online to a very big extent.

If you are on taxation, the federal tax agency, state and then local government all are involved.
Bottom line: decide where you. want to settle, go the state website and start from there. Proffesional advice will come at a much latest stage.
my two cents worth of opinion

Your question is habit too general
If you want to know about job contracts in USA, its a very free labour market and that is down to employer and recruiting agency air employee but subject to specific state regulations such as mimium wage etc.
if yuoare seeking to start a business, sole propreitorship for instance, you will need to identify the state, county and local government... its all online to a very big extent.

If you are on taxation, the federal tax agency, state and then local government all are involved.
Bottom line: decide where you. want to settle, go the state website and start from there. Proffesional advice will come at a much latest stage.
my two cents worth of opinion
Thank you for respond. Firs of all I am interested if I need to create sole proprietorship (DBA) to start work on 1099 contract as independent contractor? Because employer wants that I register sole proprietorship. Is that mandatory? Can I work on 1099 without registering anything? What is benefits and downsides of it? There is many articles about this topics but I could not find exact answers.
Also I'm interested how can I pay taxes, social security and other fees as self employee, choosing right health insurance, work from abroad and so on.

Thank you for respond. Firs of all I am interested if I need to create sole proprietorship (DBA) to start work on 1099 contract as independent contractor? Because employer wants that I register sole proprietorship. Is that mandatory? Can I work on 1099 without registering anything? What is benefits and downsides of it? There is many articles about this topics but I could not find exact answers.
Also I'm interested how can I pay taxes, social security and other fees as self employee, choosing right health insurance, work from abroad and so on.

This forum is mainly focused on providing DV lottery guidance/assistance. Once you've passed that stage, you have to start searching for and looking at other forums for further guidance as necessary, or pay a professional in the field you need information on to guide you through as needed. This forum cannot provide that guidance.

This forum is mainly focused on providing DV lottery guidance/assistance. Once you've passed that stage, you have to start searching for and looking at other forums for further guidance as necessary, or pay a professional in the field you need information on to guide you through as needed. This forum cannot provide that guidance.
Exactly...:):) few days to go for late applicants #dv2017

Hi Everyone,

Appreciate your help.
Hi there, my daughters green card took 10 months to arrive, mine took 6 weeks and my husbands 8 months and we all originally activated under one group, so the time it takes all varies, hope this helps:)

Hi there, my daughters green card took 10 months to arrive, mine took 6 weeks and my husbands 8 months and we all originally activated under one group, so the time it takes all varies, hope this helps:)
Dear CC1,
So can you work/apply for jobs if you haven't received a green card yet?
Thanks!

Dear CC1,
So can you work/apply for jobs if you haven't received a green card yet?
Thanks!

Of course you can, the plastic green card is a proof of your status and not a status in itself. Your stamped visa becomes a temporary green card valid for a year, and you can use it for everything you can use a plastic green card for.

Of course you can, the plastic green card is a proof of your status and not a status in itself. Your stamped visa becomes a temporary green card valid for a year, and you can use it for everything you can use a plastic green card for.
Oh good!!:cool: I was worried. Thank you!