• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

The "been there done that" thread: life in the US after DV

Thanks, I didn't know that two times is kind of limit, also attorneys on avvo say we have to travel immediately or we risk denial of application. Can you please tell me in the worst case scenario, if this application gets denied and LPR status lost, can a spouse live in US as LPR and invite his family to live with him while waiting for their visa number, or they would have to be separated for 2+ year?

You’re not going to lose your lpr status because you didn’t get a plastic green card printed. You just have to get back before the temporary green card in your passport expires, if you don’t mind the almighty hassle that getting a new plastic card after that is going to be.

No, you won’t lose LPR status. But just so you understand the implications of having it abandoned - that will mean you’ll have to file an i90 for a replacement green card (not that you’ve even lost one yet but that complication aside…). It will cost $540. Then you will wait 16 months or more to get the physical card. No, that is not a typo. And you can’t file before you return because…you’ll need to do bio for i90 too when called. I agree with mom, your wife should just make a plan to come back and do the bio when you get the rescheduled date. Or does she really want to go two years or more from now before she gets a physical green card?
Also, I’ve said all that already as quoted above. it’s really boring to have to keep repeating things. If you’re going to just ignore what I answer, I’m going to start ignoring your questions.

Also, I’ve said all that already as quoted above. it’s really boring to have to keep repeating things. If you’re going to just ignore what I answer, I’m going to start ignoring your questions.
Susie, sorry about it, the lawyers at avvo got me crazy, they all said we are at risk of loosing LPR. While I remember you said that we only loose 540$. So I wanted to prepare for worst case and asked you if it is possible for 1 family member to invite other family members. Sorry if I sound like repeating!
Also I didn't know about rescheduling 2 times is recommended max. I reached USCIS and asked to escalate to officer, they promised to call back within 72hrs. Some progress with USCIS! thanks for your support

Hi, I need help!

I won DV-2022, got my DV Visa in JULY 2022. They told me to enter the USA before DECEMBER 2022.

So, I went to the USA last week ago to activate my visa and just came back to my home country.

However, I STILL HAVE NOT PAID the USCIS IMMIGRATION FEE.

I will pay the USCIS IMMIGRATION FEE now.

However, Does this mean that I will need to enter the USA AGAIN before DECEMBER??

Please help. Thank you very much.

Hi, I need help!

I won DV-2022, got my DV Visa in JULY 2022. They told me to enter the USA before DECEMBER 2022.

So, I went to the USA last week ago to activate my visa and just came back to my home country.

However, Does this mean that I will need to enter the USA AGAIN before DECEMBER??

Don’t duplicate the same issue over multiple threads in the forum. Post once and wait for a response.

Hi, I need help!

No, enter don’t have to enter again before December. I assume you know that your plastic green card will not be produced until you’ve paid the uscis fee.

Hi, i need some advice.
I entered USA in July 2022 & left by July end. My queries are.
1.)- Now if i do not visit USA again before Jan end 2023 my Naturalization process will reset from the date whenever i will enter later than 6 months i.e. from 1st February 2023 to July end 2023 which is my last date to enter.
2.)-My Green card came within a month but SSN DINT got issued. Do i have to visit personally & what documents to carry.
3.)-If we opt for 2 year RE-ENTRY PERMIT so our Naturalization process is paused till we enter permanently... Is this true or does it get RESET COMPLETELY.

Hi, i need some advice.
I entered USA in July 2022 & left by July end. My queries are.
1.)- Now if i do not visit USA again before Jan end 2023 my Naturalization process will reset from the date whenever i will enter later than 6 months i.e. from 1st February 2023 to July end 2023 which is my last date to enter.
2.)-My Green card came within a month but SSN DINT got issued. Do i have to visit personally & what documents to carry.
3.)-If we opt for 2 year RE-ENTRY PERMIT so our Naturalization process is paused till we enter permanently... Is this true or does it get RESET COMPLETELY.
1. Yes
2. https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm
3. A re-entry permit does not pause the naturalization countdown clock, the permit is used for demonstrating one has not abandoned their permanent residency.

Hi all,,
I got my LPR status in October 2022. I went out from the country a month later and when came back, the officer took my passport along with my GC and stamped it. See attached picture.

My questions:
1. Does my passport should be stamped despite being LPR?
2. What is the admission class? I can’t understand he’s writing. Should I worry?
3. How can I find out my entries of in/out from the country ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• C13211AC-4F1A-44B7-BF37-EAE17FE70139.jpeg
    C13211AC-4F1A-44B7-BF37-EAE17FE70139.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 27
Hi all,,
I got my LPR status in October 2022. I went out from the country a month later and when came back, the officer took my passport along with my GC and stamped it. See attached picture.

My questions:
1. Does my passport should be stamped despite being LPR?
2. What is the admission class? I can’t understand he’s writing. Should I worry?
3. How can I find out my entries of in/out from the country ?

Thanks!

Yeah they stamp your passport with a green card. Looks like "ARC" which is Alien Registration Card. Sometimes they write LPR (Legal Permanent Resident).

My buddies are trying to get their divers' licences in Virginia. They have not yet received their green cards. The DMV lady rejected their application bid saying your visa expired. Has anyone faced this before? Is there a way around it?

I suggested they take a page (link) from USCIS that says the entry visa stamp is a valid green card to show the DMV personnel. Not sure if this will work.

Any suggestions?

My buddies are trying to get their divers' licences in Virginia. They have not yet received their green cards. The DMV lady rejected their application bid saying your visa expired. Has anyone faced this before? Is there a way around it?

I suggested they take a page (link) from USCIS that says the entry visa stamp is a valid green card to show the DMV personnel. Not sure if this will work.

Any suggestions?
I don't think a printed out page saying that "the entry visa stamp is a valid green card" would achieve anything, as the visa itself already says exactly that at the bottom of it. It should be accepted, just seems most people aren't familiar with it (have heard of a lot having trouble with employers too that aren't familiar with it). All you can really do is try explain over and over again or try to talk to someone else until you get it accepted, since it is valid.

Any suggestions?
It seems to me the Virginia DMV is indeed aware the IV becomes a temporary GC upon annotation, they however are now willing to accept the IV if it already expired (which shouldn't be the case). Since they've gone to the trouble of stating the condition under which an IV will be accepted as a temporary GC in place of the plastic GC or an actual I-551 stamp, I do not think your buddies will be able to get any of the DMV employees to budge on that.

For proof of legal presence if using a visa, they require:

Unexpired foreign passport with ONE of the following:
Unexpired U.S. visa and unexpired I-94 or entry stamp. F1/F2 applicants must present an I-20; J1/J2 applicants must present a DS-2019
Unexpired I-94W
Unexpired U.S. immigrant visa with temporary I-551 notation presented within one year of entry
Unexpired I-551 stamp

SOURCE: Obtaining a Virginia Driver’s License or Identification (ID) Card

Hi,
I landed Detroit airport today.
The immigration officer asked just 2-3 questions: how long u were out of USA . i answered about 5 & half months : & he asked why so long...
He asked were is ur green card.
I replied it's reached my home & i need to collect it .
He then went inside some room/cabin with my passport & then came back & clicked my foto & stamped ARC in passport & told me ur good to go...
Now my question
1.)- I'm travelling again back to my country to do my final pack up & sell everything & finish off with my children schools which will end in April 2023.
So will it be fine to reach back by mid-july 2023.
2.)- My children will complete 11 months & 10 days by mid July 2023. But i will take their green cards with me. Will there be any kind of problem for my children as they were out of usa for more than 6 months but less than a year...
Please i need your advice ...

1- I opened a bank account just a few days after I arrived, and all they asked me for was my ID (passport or driver’s licence), my stamped visa (acting as temporary green card) and my Social Security Number (like you I had an SSN from a previous visit but hadn’t updated my status yet at the SS office). They didn’t ask for any proof of address, and I just gave a friend’s address.

2- I can’t help you with this question, as I opened my account directly where I planned to live.
What if I don't have an SSN?

I am planning to move soon but have a couple of issues.

1. Unfortunately, I will send my green card and SSN to a relative as I do not have an address now. I am paranoid about them using my SSN in the wrong way. Is there a way to know if my SSN was tampered with and can they mail it to me (and the green card) once they get them?
2. Apartments. I do not want to live with someone else, how can I easily find a place to stay without a job yet?
3. Finding a job. I am applying for jobs now but I feel like using my foreign address is a barrier as people may think I need sponsorship (even if I answer "No" on the questionnaire). Can I easily get a job within a month of living in the US so I can at least live in a hotel temporarily?
4. Driving. I live in Europe where driving is not necessary but driving lessons are insane. Is it better to learn now or will it be cheaper in the US (here it is about 1000+ Euro).