Technically a citizen - but need your help!

mpark46

Registered Users (C)
I need some help. I filed my N-400 and found out that I am technically a citizen because both of my parents were naturalized before I turned 18.

I received a letter in the mail stating as much, and hence my request for naturalization was denied because technically I am already a citizen.

The letter states that I can either apply for a US passport of file the N-600.

Obviously I would rather file for the US passport, but I do not have my original birth certificate (nor do I have a copy). I think my IO had a copy of it however (or maybe even the original). I do have the originals of my parents naturalization certificates though.

I guess I could file the N-600 but I would rather not since it would require more time and money (an additional $420), but if I have no other choice I will.

Do you know if there is any way to contact my IO or get around providing a foreign birth certificate? I remember she mentioned something about maybe being able to provide a passport from her office if it was a problem, but of course I really have no way of contacting her other than by mail.

Any advice or suggestions you may have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

If your parents became US citizens after you were born then I don't think you have any option but to file an N-600. The exception would be if your parents had already done this for you immediately after getting their citizenship, but in that case you would have a naturalization certificate already.

If your parents became US citizens after you were born then I don't think you have any option but to file an N-600.

passport or n-600 works as long as you qualify, the instructions listed for both are similar

^^Thanks. Would I contact them to obtain a copy of my foreign birth certificate?
You can also contact your siblings and grandparents and relatives (if you have any) in your birth country. They may be able to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the issuing authority. The issuing authorities usually allow a certain circle of relatives to obtain it directly.

Be careful of birth certificates from the consulate; if it is issued by the consulate, USCIS will not accept it. If the consulate is going to send you one, you need to clarify that they will be just acting as the conduit for obtaining the certificate issued from the registrar in your country, and not printing one themselves. The consulate will probably also charge you a fee for this service if they are going to handle it, so if your relatives can get it that would save you some money. But still, it shouldn't cost anything to talk to the consulate just to find out your options for how to obtain the certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, birth certificates issued by consulates are not accepted? I was born in Indonesia as an Indian citizen, so my birth certificate is one from the Indian embassy. Is that not valid?

check online

Not sure what country you are from but first world you may just be able to do it online.

I'm British ... well and a USC as of last week .. I just did it online.
Credit card and it showed up in the mail a few weeks later.

Worth a look for your country.

You can also file the form G-884 "Return of Original Documents" - if you are certain the original birth certificate is contained within your A-file. USCIS will return your original document to you. Go here for more information: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

However, I would seriously recommend you save up for the $420 and apply for an N-600 as it establishes your own root citizenship record - independent of your parents. Once you get your birth certificate, you can simultaneously apply for the N-600 and passport as one application requires copies while the other requires orginals.

Not sure what country you are from but first world you may just be able to do it online.

I'm British ... well and a USC as of last week .. I just did it online.
Credit card and it showed up in the mail a few weeks later.

Worth a look for your country.

FYI, many third world countries don't have thise "electronic" option.

Thanks for all of your answers and suggestions.

I was born in Seoul, South Korea in 1975...so it has been a very long time!

You can also file the form G-884 "Return of Original Documents" - if you are certain the original birth certificate is contained within your A-file. USCIS will return your original document to you. Go here for more information: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

However, I would seriously recommend you save up for the $420 and apply for an N-600 as it establishes your own root citizenship record - independent of your parents. Once you get your birth certificate, you can simultaneously apply for the N-600 and passport as one application requires copies while the other requires orginals.

I looked at this form, but it requires a Naturalization Certificate #.
Does this mean I can't request?

I'm in a bit of a catch-22 here.

It looks like I will need a copy of my original birth certificate to file the N-600 too, so how the heck do I get around that??

Please help!!

Sorry for so many questions -

Does anybody know if the Birth Certificate (assuming that I can get one) needs to be translated or notarized? It doesn't specify on the US Passport website.

Thanks !!!

has to be translated into English and the translation notarized stating the translation is true and correct, usually the issuing authority for the birth certificate can translate it for you. May also have to get an apostille for it too but that depends.

Your local authority (where you were born) should be able to issue an certificate of birth stating your name, dob, parents name etc instead of a real birth certificate at the time of birth provided you have proof of dob etc like a korean passport or if there is a record of your birth somewhere, hospital records, health ministry etc.

This may or may not apply to you but it did for me

As long as it's valid and authenticated by Korea's foreign ministry + the apostille it's valid in the US. CIS and state department doesn't say if it requires or if it's ok without an apostille but I had mine chain-authenticated before applying just to be safe. Korea is part of the hague convention so you don't need it chain authenticated I just used it as an example plus I like to be safe than sorry later :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Hochi!

I made an infopass appt (in person) for tomorrow to drop of the G-884 form (Return of Original Documents). Hopefully the IO will be able to shed some light on what I need to do.

I know for sure they have my original birth certificate because my parents applied for my Citizenship back when I was a teenager, but because my mom (at the time) was not a citizen yet, it was rejected.

Hopefully I will be able to get it back so that I can finally get my passport!