TD For My Son

Noela

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Good Evening. I am a TN status holder, and I have an 18 year old son who lives in West Africa. I want to be able to bring him over here to reside with me (in US).

Am I able to do this? What is the process for applying for TD. I plan going to West/AFrica to visit family, and I am wondering if I can process the application while there.

Thanks in advance - Noela

Then he will need to go to a US consulate (likely in Ghana, but it *could* be canada if he has some cdn status), and get a TD VISA, with proof of your TN (a copy of your I-94 will do) and proof of his relationship to you (birth cert with both your names on it).

Then he will enter US with the VISA and be given an I-94 card in TD status, expiring the same date as your TN.

Nelsona and RealCanadian,

Thanks for your responses. My TN expires in July 27. Is it possible I can renew it before I leave for Ghana in June. I am thinking it would be preferable to renter with a valid TN...can they renew far in advance...

thanks - Noela

you can renew the TN status by submitting form I-129 to Vermont Service Center of USCIS. Send the renewal now and it will be valid from July 28 2007 to July 27 2008. Otherwise, you could request a new TN upon re-entry into the US. Generally you need to do the re-entry method close to the expiry of your current TN, or prove that the requested new TN is for a different job description or different employer.

Hi

Gunt,

Thanks for your responses...
If i send in a mail renewal now.... 2 things are likely to happen:

(1) I might receive the approval before I leave in mid June or it might arrive in my absence. If it arrives in my absence....what happens when I attempt to re-enter? will they see it on their records or I have to be re-adjudicated all over again?

Thanks very much..

Noela.

If you are planning to come back from Ghana after your TN expires, I would be prepared to get a new TN upon re-entry.

You *might* get an I-129 approval while you are away, in which case you can ask the officer to check the records and admit you on that approval. Their records are not always reliable, and some officers are reluctatnt to check.

So, unless you actually get approval before you leave (and have new I-94 in hand), I would be preparing to get new TN at the airport when coming back.

Remember too, that if you do need to apply for new TN at the airport, immediately write to cancel any unapproved I-129, so as not to risk that that one be denied.

Hmmmm,

Thanks again...

from the look of things, with barely 6 weeks left, is there any point in applying to Vermont -- how long does it take -- i know it varies -- but is that enough time to get approval before I leave?

thanks - Noela

If you are planning to come back from Ghana after your TN expires, I would be prepared to get a new TN upon re-entry.

You *might* get an I-129 approval while you are away, in which case you can ask the officer to check the records and admit you on that approval. Their records are not always reliable, and some officers are reluctatnt to check.

So, unless you actually get approval before you leave (and have new I-94 in hand), I would be preparing to get new TN at the airport when coming back.

Remember too, that if you do need to apply for new TN at the airport, immediately write to cancel any unapproved I-129, so as not to risk that that one be denied.

Nelsona,

thats what i thought ..i would ask my employer to issue me a letter before I leave -- the letter would be about 6 weeks old - i hope that is not too old, and then apply when I renter.

thanks - Noela