Tax Returns after GC

S_Reddy

Registered Users (C)
I was e-filing Tax return from Past 7 years, but this year it will be different as i am a GC Holder now.

Anybody has any idea as how i will be filing this year.

Is it going to be normal forms or different.

Let me know.

Should be no difference. Just yesterday I used TurboTax to file a joint return for myself and the wife, and nowhere was I asked a question with regards to our statuses. Oddly enough, H&R block (I used them for my first few years in the US) used to ask my status. It never appeared on any of the forms/schedules I got from them at the end of the day.

Is it going to be normal forms or different.

I have been in Atlanta, Georgia for 7 years. So will i be consired as resident.

Also i think if you are in any state for more than 6 months then that will be consired as residents.

I was confused with residents as green card holders.

So really nothing should change from my last years return though i am GC Holder now.

If you were filing as Resident before, nothing has changed.

I have been in Atlanta, Georgia for 7 years. So will i be consired as resident.

Also i think if you are in any state for more than 6 months then that will be consired as residents.

So really nothing should change from my last years return though i am GC Holder now.

There is nothing which will change, if you are in US for a certain amount of time, I don't remember exactly how much I think its around 6 months, you are automatically considered a resident.

Should be no difference. Just yesterday I used TurboTax to file a joint return for myself and the wife, and nowhere was I asked a question with regards to our statuses. Oddly enough, H&R block (I used them for my first few years in the US) used to ask my status. It never appeared on any of the forms/schedules I got from them at the end of the day.

That H&R Block Citizen, LPR, ECT... status ONLY appears in there system, H&R Blocks.

What you're thinking of is SPT or the Substantial Presence Test. However, there are other ways to become a tax resident that don't involve being in the US at all, by tax treaty. You can also leave the US and still be considered a resident.

Yes. The immigration and taxation definitions of residency are different, and one shouldn't confuse the two.

Exactly! :)

I sort of figured it out over the years. Thanks for the confirmation. I no longer use H&R. After 3 tax years, I switched to doing my own returns using TurboTax. After all, I did my own taxes when I lived in Ontario :)

That H&R Block Citizen, LPR, ECT... status ONLY appears in there system, H&R Blocks.

Could someone please enlighten me, whether we have to purchase a new Turbotax every year in order to get updated tax rules? I want to buy Turbotax 2007 but worried that it will not be relevant for 2008 tax.

Thank you in anticipation.

Could someone please enlighten me, whether we have to purchase a new Turbotax every year in order to get updated tax rules? I want to buy Turbotax 2007 but worried that it will not be relevant for 2008 tax.

You won't be filing your 2008 taxes until 2009. So get 2007. ;)

But yes, you need new tax software each year.

The US tax laws change every year. Every single year. Not every single change will affect you, but every year something changes. So you will always need a new version of tax software.

Hello,

For spouse with only TIN number before getting green card ,what do they do while filing income tax return as they have ssn now as they become green card holder now? Which number will be used for income tax filing.SSN or TIN?

Thanks,
Mercy1