Tax question: Please help!!!

Thoughtful

Registered Users (C)
Back in 2005 when this happened, I had very little knowledge about tax issues.
Here is my story.

In 2005, I got a W2 from my employer (a state school). I was only working as a student assistant and made just over minimum wage with very few hours a week. SO my income for the year was very little.
When I got my documents, I took them to an accountant and showed everything to him and asked if I needed to file my federal tax return (no state taxes involved). He said I did not have to. I thought so too and so I did not file.
Today, I was reading the news and for a second time, nomination hearings in the senate came up with tax issues so I went back to look at my information for 2005 as this was the only year I did not file a tax return. I was shocked to discover that my employer did not withhold any SS or Medicare taxes. I went over to the local IRS office and they said I need to file a tax return. I am going back to that office tomorrow to do it.
Problem is: I applied for naturalization and I have attended and passed my interview. I have been able to confirm that my applicaiton has been approved by the interviewing officer and later by the supervisor on a later date. I am just waiting for an oath date. When I turned in the application, I told them I did not file my tax return for that year and I attached an explanation why (same thing the above). I also attached a copy of my W2.

So after filing my taxes tomorrow, what do I do? I live 360 miles from the DO so I do not want to go if I do not have to.

You're worrying about nothing. You already disclosed you didn't submit taxes for that year and your application was approved. It's not like you purposely withheld something. The fact that you will be taking care of the return after the fact because of new information has no effect on your application.

Btw, naturalization oath is not like a senate hearing where they dissect your life, so no need to worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after filing my taxes tomorrow, what do I do? I live 360 miles from the DO so I do not want to go if I do not have to.

Form this point, you consider your tax and your naturalization two completely
separate issues. File your tax for 2005 and in the meantime wait for oath.

Some more info

Sorry guys, I had to submit the first part to go attend to something that came up.

Here is the rest of the story. In the same year 2005, I went to a summer research internship. When we got there we were asked to fill out something for tax exemption for the expense subsidy they were going to give us.
When I went to the IRS office today, the staff pulled up all the info that was sent to the IRS on me and it turns out, the facility had sent them a 1099 MISC form essentially saying that we were contract employees. I never got the 1099 from them. So now, as far the IRS is concern, I was self employed in 2005 and I was contracted to do some work for the facility. I do not mind paying the taxes except I am very pissed why they did not tell us that. It seems the form we filled was so that they can get exemption from SS and medicare taxes. I will fix that tomorrow too.

What do I do as far as my naturalization is concern? Please read the very first post before posting any response.

What do I do as far as my naturalization is concern? Please read the very first post before posting any response.

Your case is already settled so far as USCIS concerned. Don't worry about it.
By oath day, you still need to disclose any arrest, citration ect that occur between the interview day and the oath day. They don't ask anything else.
Just drive carefully, don't get a trafrfic ticket before the oath day.
After you take oath, you can speed on your way home just for fun of it
to pay the fine and increase your insurance premium but it won't affect your citizenship anymore

That is hillarious

Your case is already settled so far as USCIS concerned. Don't worry about it.
Just drive carefully, don't get a trafrfic ticket before the oath day.
to pay the fine and increase your insurance premium but it won't affect your citizenship anymore

You left out the part of robbing a 7/11 after oath and not having to worry about getting deported for it.;)

When you are a full time student and are working for your school you do NOT pay social security and Medicare taxes. So you do not owe back taxes.

And you are not about to be nominated by Obama for a major position so you do not have to become a nervous wrack over this.

When you are a full time student and are working for your school you do NOT pay social security and Medicare taxes. So you do not owe back taxes.

F-1 students do not ahve to pay social security and Medicare taxes
on their assistantship. But I do believe a student who is a PR does
have to pay social security and Medicare taxes on earned income

It is F1 students only from countries that have a tax treaty with US do not have to pay SS and medicare taxes. India is one of them.

I did NOT say that a PR does not have to "pay social security and Medicare taxes on earned income."

What I said was that a permanent resident (and a United States citizen for that matter) who (i) is at least a half-time degree seeking student AND (ii) is working at the school in which she is a student does not pay Medicare and social security taxes on her income from that school.

I did not know that. Can you reference that for me as this will explain why they did not withhold SS and medicare taxes. The IRS staff did not ask if I was a student at that school during that period. I will inform them tomorrow. I was a full time student working part time under the Federal work-study programin the my school. And I was a Permanent resident.

I did NOT say that a PR does not have to "pay social security and Medicare taxes on earned income."

What I said was that a permanent resident (and a United States citizen for that matter) who (i) is at least a half-time degree seeking student AND (ii) is working at the school in which she is a student does not pay Medicare and social security taxes on her income from that school.

I did not know that. Can you reference that for me as this will explain why they did not withhold SS and medicare taxes. The IRS staff did not ask if I was a student at that school during that period. I will inform them tomorrow. I was a full time student working part time under the Federal work-study programin the my school. And I was a Permanent resident.

You are worrying way too much about a non issue.

OK, for your peace of mind: read this http://www.irs.gov/irb/2005-02_IRB/ar16.html

This is very boring right? relax and stop worrying.

Yes it is boring. And yes the school was right not to withhold SS and medicare taxes. Does that necessarily mean that that income will not be taxable at the end of the year?
Also, can I get your comment on the continuation of the first post which is post #4.
Thank you

You are worrying way too much about a non issue.

OK, for your peace of mind: read this http://www.irs.gov/irb/2005-02_IRB/ar16.html

This is very boring right? relax and stop worrying.

Yes it is boring. And yes the school was right not to withhold SS and medicare taxes. Does that necessarily mean that that income will not be taxable at the end of the year?
Also, can I get your comment on the continuation of the first post which is post #4.
Thank you

Whether you have to pay income tax depended mainly on how much you made. For 2008, if you were single and were not the dependent of anyone else, you would have to file if you made a little more than 7K. I believe. The number changes every year. You have go back to the old forms and check for your year. I have no idea how much you made. Most work study students do not make enough to require filing.

Also you should find out if you qualified for the earned income tax credit (that is when you government gives you free money).

You also need to check rule for filing a state return.

The school is in Texas, there are no state taxes. I made very liitle to pay federal income taxes. I was wondering if I still had to pay SS and medicare even if the school did not withhold it. I have now found out that the anser is NO. If I had filed the tax return, I would have qualified for EITC but back then, I had no idea something like that even existed.

THe last thing in my post was in reference to the 1099 MISC issue which I explained on Post #4 on the thread. I will pay the money possibly tomorrow, just wondering what I should do as far as my naturalization is concerned.

Whether you have to pay income tax depended mainly on how much you made. For 2008, if you were single and were not the dependent of anyone else, you would have to file if you made a little more than 7K. I believe. The number changes every year. You have go back to the old forms and check for your year. I have no idea how much you made. Most work study students do not make enough to require filing.

Also you should find out if you qualified for the earned income tax credit (that is when you government gives you free money).

You also need to check rule for filing a state return.