switch from TN visa to visitor

dell11

I have a question about switching status while on TN. Say, I do not like my job and I am on TN visa status then can i resign from my job and apply for visitor visa and stay in the USA for a few months and look for new job?

what about the other way around. Can i move to USA on visit and look for work over there ? If so, what do i tell the border agent ?

You cannot "move" to the USA without some kind of immigrant visa.
You can "visit" the USA as a tourist.
You would tell the border agent: "I am looking for work in the USA."

Of course, telling a border agent that you are visiting with the intention to look for work, will immediately get you denied access. You can go to US for a specific interview, but you cannot roam the US looking for work. You need to have another valid reason to visit US, and perhaps incidentally find work.

Of course, telling a border agent that you are visiting with the intention to look for work, will immediately get you denied access. You can go to US for a specific interview, but you cannot roam the US looking for work. You need to have another valid reason to visit US, and perhaps incidentally find work.
Maybe things have changed in the past few years, or maybe I was lucky, but in the past I have had no trouble at all telling border guards my intention for entry was to look for work.

Maybe things have changed in the past few years, or maybe I was lucky, but in the past I have had no trouble at all telling border guards my intention for entry was to look for work.

You likely lucked out in the past.
Admission on a b2 is for general touristy purposes and looking for work on that category could be viewed as murky.

On a side note, does Canada not have jobs?

The job market is terrible here. I work in the oil and gas sector, and there are engineers sitting at home for 2+ years. I can't find crap over here.

Even if i find something in toronto, the salary is almost equal to my rent, which totally defeats the purpose of work.

Last edited: