successful CP MUMBAI AC140

mumbai AC140 response

my attorney sent the AC140 package to Mumbai Consulate and the courier was delivered to them on May 23. we have not heard back from mumbai after that. i called today and they said they did not have any record under my name in their computer.

1. can anyone advise me about whats going on?
2. we sent the original 140 approval notice to the consulate - how will we get it back in case they refused to accept the case?

thanks

original 140 approval notice???

did we need to send the original 140 approval notice to mumbai consulate with the p3 forms and AC140 request? would a copy have sufficed?

rohufish:

I am doing regular processing but after a little research that I did, I found the following informaiton on the immihelp.com web site. REfer:
http://imminfo.com/Knowledgebase/FAQs/ACI140.html

One of the question refers to what needs to be mailed with PAcket 3 for AC I-140. This packets includes original I-140 papers.

To answer your other question, after your packet 3 is delivered to Mumbai consulate allow about 2-3 weeks before they can enter the receipt of your Packet 3 in their computer system. Since your packet 3 reached 5/23 and then it was a long weekend, so allow 3.5 weeks max. So add approx 25 days. I would check with Mumbai consulate again around 6/17 - 6/20. And I am sure they will acknowledge the receipt then. Dont worry!

There is no reason for your packet to get rejected but just in case, if it does get rejected, Mumbai consulate will mail the entire packet back to you/ your attorneys depending on whose address was provided.

Take care,
Krish

BMB case number

but i have read many posts here that say that they/their attorneys received an email with their BMB case number within 2-3 days of their packet reaching mumbai.

anyone who's done AC140 care to share their experience?

Rohufish,

Your attorney has done a right thing. Original 140 has to be accompanied with I824 receipt for changing it to CP from AOS. Once this reaches the consulate, they will mail your attorney the BMB #.

It takes 8 to 10 days after they receive the whole package. So you should wait until 10th of this month. If rejected (though the chances are slim to negligible) they will still let your attorney know about it.

Also since it was sent by FEDEX you would have tracking details for the packet.

If you still do not have a reply by then you should request your attorney to have a dialogue with the consular office. I know your fear, if it is misplaced, it is messy. But if a person is out of luck anything can happen. All the best.

Thanks
AGW.

Last edited by a moderator:
No response from Mumbai

Rohufish:
I seem to have the same problem as you -- the Mumbai consulate has not acknowledged receipt of my package and is not responding to email inquiries.

Anyone know if they respond to phone inquiries?

called mumbai consulate

ape:

i called them 2 weeks after sending the ac140 packet, but they did not have my name in their computer. what i am really concerned about is that we sent the ORIGINAL 140 approval notice - if they do not accept, what happens to it?

when did you send your packet?

anyone else in the same boat or who has recently gotten ac140 accepted with case number from mumbai?

thanks

Originally posted by KYCP

Here is my understanding:
There is a limit to which you could pursue both routes. I-485 is considered withdrawn after the I-824 is approved (which takes a long time, in the order of a year or may be less)

Now,
with the I-824 receipt notice, you could start AC-140 and if you get your interview before the I-824 approval, well and good (you still may need to be on independent visa status, like F1, H1, J1, B1 or...., not on work permit based on I-485).

When your I-824 gets approved, you will be sent a letter to make a choice between continuing I-485 or change to CP route.
At this stage, If the consulate decides not to take your (AC-140) case, you could:
1. wait for case to be sent to NVC- the usual CP route, abandon I-485
or
2. Stick with I-485 and abandon CP route
hope this clarifies,
KYCP

KYCP , dev28 , harapatra .and others ...

After a very frustrating 9 month wait in the I-485 process , I decided to look at other options. The AC-I140 seems like the light at the end of the tunnel (which is sometimes an oncoming train)

This seems like a safe path to take, but I don't want to jeopardize my existing I-485 process. Can you please confirm that only when the I-824 is approved , do they abandon the I-485 process and not when it is just filed. And also , if I choose to , I can cancel the I-824 process once I have filed it, without affecting my I-485 process !!

I don't want to escape from the Devil and run into the deep blue sea here.

Do you know any one personally who has had this experience ? Or is there a Website or posting where you have read it ?
I'd appreciate if you post appropriate links regarding the same.

Thanks

AC-140 procedure

Hi,

Many many congrats.

If you dont mind can you please tell in AC-140 whether we can send the DS-230 part I, OF169 directly to the consulate or we need to go via NVC these days?

Thanks
Rajnish

jumping to AC140 wagon

Originally posted by maverick1976
KYCP , dev28 , harapatra .and others ...

After a very frustrating 9 month wait in the I-485 process , I decided to look at other options. The AC-I140 seems like the light at the end of the tunnel (which is sometimes an oncoming train)

This seems like a safe path to take, but I don't want to jeopardize my existing I-485 process. Can you please confirm that only when the I-824 is approved , do they abandon the I-485 process and not when it is just filed. And also , if I choose to , I can cancel the I-824 process once I have filed it, without affecting my I-485 process !!

I don't want to escape from the Devil and run into the deep blue sea here.

Do you know any one personally who has had this experience ? Or is there a Website or posting where you have read it ?
I'd appreciate if you post appropriate links regarding the same.

Thanks

I have also decided to jump on to the wagon as the 824 seems like dead. I just wanted to wait for the due process but since AC140 is as smooth I don;t see any reason why one should wait for 824 at all. I think most of the people are filing it just as a pretext for AC140. Foolish me :) Just wasted 17 month in waiting.

Recieve Packet IV in India ?

I see that some people recieve the packet IV in India ?

Is there some advantage in doing so ? I mean do you get to know when is your interview date, few days before ? as letting the Packet IV arrive in US may be takes a liitle longer ?

I was just wondreing

Thanks

Re: Recieve Packet IV in India ?

Originally posted by arindamc
I see that some people recieve the packet IV in India ?

Is there some advantage in doing so ? I mean do you get to know when is your interview date, few days before ? as letting the Packet IV arrive in US may be takes a liitle longer ?

I was just wondreing

Thanks

The reason some individuals receive packet 4 in India is because these individuals are planning to leave US for the CP interviews in India and hence want to make sure the packet 4 is in thier hands before the interview date. Packet 4 has the official interveiw letter which is required at the entrance of the US Embassy/consualte.

Secondly, every individual can have a copy sent to US address and another copy sent to Indian address. SOme individuals do both. The second copy doesn't cost more and is very easy to get also. All an individual needs to do is to either send an e-mail to US consulate or call by phone or visit the US consulate before the interview date to get a copy of packet 4.

An individual can find the interview date by e-mail, phone or accessing the US consulate's website.

Thanks.

AC140 case accepted @ Mumbai

- Sent to consulate by courier on May 20, '03
- Received by consulate on May 23, '03
- Emailed Mumbai on June 5, no record of case
- Phoned Mumbai on June 12, no record of case
- FREAKED OUT again and again June 12-July 1
- Email to attorney on July 2, '03 with case number - WHEW!

now on to next stage of this drama....

I want to go for the interview, and my wife wants to postpone hers until later this year. Is this possible? If so, how do I make this happen?

Thanks!

interview likely september

spoke to the consulate - said interview was likely in september

anyone else out there with similar situation?

Consular Processing Info!

Hi!

Can anyone guide me through the process of consular filing? How long does it usually take to get the green card after getting Labor approved? I believe you can file for Immigration and Consular processing at the same time now. Some people advised me not to go for this. Is the time frame way too short than adjustment of status? Your reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks
AB

abhatt76 your question is pretty vague and cannot be answered not knowing
1) what stage of GC you are at (assuming LC approved..waiting to file I-140),
2) what service center you belong to (CSC, TSC, VSC, NSC) ...
3) what category (EB1, EB2, EB3..) and
4) what consulate would be going to delhi, bbay, chennai or ...

provide this information either on this site or send me an email from immigation site by clicking on my profile.

CP gurus please help!

My EB3 I-140 has the receipt date of May 14 2003. I am torn between AOS and CP. Curretly my lawyer is preparing papers for AOS filling though I am leaning towards CP. Based on my geographic location in Inida, Mumbai consulate is the one I have to go to for all the visa/GC stamps. My question is am I eligible for AC140 from Mumbai consulate? I have mentioed on my I-140 that I will do consular processing. Also do we know how long it is taking for the interview for AC140 cases after I-140 is approved? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

If your case is simple/ clean, there are no legal hassles / out-of-status scenarios and if your job is secured for duration of I-140 plus CP interview duration then CP is the way to go.

Given the situation if you have filed I-140 at VSC it will take about 10-11 months for approval and if at NSC then 5 months. After that it will be another 7-8 months for CP interview via regular CP Process.

AC140 is only for those who have opted 485 initially and now have changed from 485 to CP using I-824. In your case since you have opted for CP while filing I-140 you may not be eligible for AC I-140. I think you are moving in the right direction.

Thanks kdivekar!

Sincere thanks for the reply! My I140 is filed at california service center and my lawyer tellms me I hope to have it approved in another month or so. My job situation is not very stable since company is going thru some financial trouble. That is the reason I am confused between AOS and CP. I thought I could apply for 485 and then file I-824 to change to CP and proceed via the AC140 route based on that. Is that possible even if my I140 mentions CP? Also if my CP is not done by the time I-824 comes up for processing, do they by default switch it CP or you have a choice at that time? Thanks in advance for the info.

No problem...

Your lawyers are right about your I-140 clearing in next 45-50 days. Currently CSC is processing 4/9/2003.

If your company is going thru financial problems then you may be better off applying for 485 ASAP. Since after 180 days on 485/ AOS you will be covered by AC21 and be able to change jobs without affecting your GC. But AC21 is not applicable to CP. Dont waste time..file for 485 now.

And later on you can follow th eI-824 with aC I-140 route thru your current company or thru another company if you decide to move on to another company.