Stuck in name check with new rules after May '06

here you go

eo23 said:
Hey springbranch,

There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Could you possibly gain more information from your lawyer regarding such changes? Or better yet, could you point us to articles discussing this issue?

I think centralizing the name check procedure in one office will make it much more efficient, or atleast I hope so.

Happy holidays everyone.

USCIS Proposes New Security Background Check System for Jan. 3, 2007
Written by Jordana Hart
Tuesday, 05 December 2006
The USCIS, which conducts background checks on petitioners and applicants seeking immigration related benefits, is proposing to add a new system of records entitled Background Check Service. Aiming to facilitate the background check process and to improve efficiency, USCIS has developed the Background Check Service (BCS) as a centralized repository that contains the consolidated data on all background check requests and results. The BCS, which the service proposes to begin using on January 3, 2007, would allow authorized USCIS officers to request background checks and access the data stored in the BCS during the adjudication process in order to facilitate informed decision-making.

Publishing the details of the BCS in the Federal Register yesterday, the USCIS states that it conducts three different background checks on applicants/petitioners applying for USCIS benefits: (1) A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Fingerprint Check, (2) a FBI Name Check, and (3) a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Treasury Enforcement Communication System/ Interagency Border Inspection System (TECS/IBIS) Name Check.

As a centralized repository containing all background check activity, BCS will provide the status and results of background checks required for completion of immigration eligibility petitions and application determinations from one web-based system to geographically dispersed USCIS field offices. This system will purportedly reduce immigration case backlogs and provide significant efficiencies in vetting and resolving the background checks that are required for USCIS benefits. Prior to BCS, information relating to the FBI Fingerprint Checks and the FBI Name Checks were stored in the FD-258 system and FBI Query system respectively. Information relating to the TECS/IBIS Name Checks was not stored in any system.

The information maintained in BCS will be initially collected and maintained in one of the following USCIS case management systems and then transferred to BCS:

-Computer-Linked Application Information Management System (CLAIMS) 3, which is used to process applications including, but not limited to, an Adjustment of Status (Green Card) and Temporary Protective Status (TPS);

- CLAIMS 4, which is used to process applications for Naturalization;

- Refugee Asylum Parole System (RAPS), which is used to process Asylum applications; and

- Marriage Fraud Assurance System (MFAS), which is used for processing information relating to investigations of marriage fraud.

Meanwhile, fingerprint information is collected from the applicant at the time the fingerprints are taken in order to conduct the FBI Fingerprint Check. Fingerprints are taken electronically at a USCIS Application Support Centers (ASC) or taken from hard copy fingerprint cards (FD- 258) that are submitted for those applicants who are unable to go to an ASC. The fingerprints are currently stored in the Benefit Biometric Support System (BBSS), which interfaces directly with FBI's Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). The responses to the FBI Fingerprint Check are collected electronically from the FBI and will be stored in BCS.

All information is currently collected as part of the established USCIS application/petition process and is required to verify the applicant/petitioner's eligibility for the benefit being sought. The FBI Fingerprint Check is a search of the FBI's Criminal Master File via the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). This search will identify applicants/petitioners who have an arrest record.

The FBI Name Check is a search of the FBI's Universal Index that consists of administrative, applicant, criminal, personnel, and other files compiled for law enforcement purposes. The TECS/IBIS Name Check is a search of a multi-agency database containing information from 26 different agencies. The information in TECS/IBIS includes records of known and suspected terrorists, sex offenders, and other people that may be of interest to the law enforcement community. USCIS will use TECS/IBIS to access National Crime Information Center (NCIC) records on wanted persons, criminal histories, and previous Federal inspections.

If fraudulent or criminal activity is detected as a result of the background check, information will be forwarded to appropriate law enforcement agencies including Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), FBI, CBP, and/or local law enforcement.

The established system of records will be effective January 3, 2007 unless comments are received that result in a contrary determination.

You may submit comments, identified by Docket Number DHS- 2006-0063 by one of the following methods:

madhuri_dhar said:
I had my interview last week and the immigration officer asked me for additional documents. When I asked him as to how long will it take once I send in the documents, he said he will review my application again and that 'my background check is pending anyway'..

I was quite surprised by his last comments for two reasons:

1) I thought they send in the interview letter only after the name check has been cleared. My PD is April 2006

2) I had gone for an Infopass appt about a month prior to my interview letter and the lady at the infopass window had confirmed that my background check was complete. If that was the case, then how come the immigration officer made that comment about my background check still pending during my interview???? Isn't that strange???
madhuri_dhar,

What documents were you asked to send? Can you post please?

springbranch,
Can you post the original link where you found this information?
This is good news for all new n400 applicants!!

Cheers!

springbranch said:
USCIS Proposes New Security Background Check System for Jan. 3, 2007
Written by Jordana Hart
Tuesday, 05 December 2006
The USCIS, which conducts background checks on petitioners and applicants seeking immigration related benefits, is proposing to add a new system of records entitled Background Check Service. Aiming to facilitate the background check process and to improve efficiency, USCIS has developed the Background Check Service (BCS) as a centralized repository that contains the consolidated data on all background check requests and results. The BCS, which the service proposes to begin using on January 3, 2007, would allow authorized USCIS officers to request background checks and access the data stored in the BCS during the adjudication process in order to facilitate informed decision-making.

Publishing the details of the BCS in the Federal Register yesterday, the USCIS states that it conducts three different background checks on applicants/petitioners applying for USCIS benefits: (1) A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Fingerprint Check, (2) a FBI Name Check, and (3) a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Treasury Enforcement Communication System/ Interagency Border Inspection System (TECS/IBIS) Name Check.

As a centralized repository containing all background check activity, BCS will provide the status and results of background checks required for completion of immigration eligibility petitions and application determinations from one web-based system to geographically dispersed USCIS field offices. This system will purportedly reduce immigration case backlogs and provide significant efficiencies in vetting and resolving the background checks that are required for USCIS benefits. Prior to BCS, information relating to the FBI Fingerprint Checks and the FBI Name Checks were stored in the FD-258 system and FBI Query system respectively. Information relating to the TECS/IBIS Name Checks was not stored in any system.

The information maintained in BCS will be initially collected and maintained in one of the following USCIS case management systems and then transferred to BCS:

-Computer-Linked Application Information Management System (CLAIMS) 3, which is used to process applications including, but not limited to, an Adjustment of Status (Green Card) and Temporary Protective Status (TPS);

- CLAIMS 4, which is used to process applications for Naturalization;

- Refugee Asylum Parole System (RAPS), which is used to process Asylum applications; and

- Marriage Fraud Assurance System (MFAS), which is used for processing information relating to investigations of marriage fraud.

Meanwhile, fingerprint information is collected from the applicant at the time the fingerprints are taken in order to conduct the FBI Fingerprint Check. Fingerprints are taken electronically at a USCIS Application Support Centers (ASC) or taken from hard copy fingerprint cards (FD- 258) that are submitted for those applicants who are unable to go to an ASC. The fingerprints are currently stored in the Benefit Biometric Support System (BBSS), which interfaces directly with FBI's Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). The responses to the FBI Fingerprint Check are collected electronically from the FBI and will be stored in BCS.

All information is currently collected as part of the established USCIS application/petition process and is required to verify the applicant/petitioner's eligibility for the benefit being sought. The FBI Fingerprint Check is a search of the FBI's Criminal Master File via the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS). This search will identify applicants/petitioners who have an arrest record.

The FBI Name Check is a search of the FBI's Universal Index that consists of administrative, applicant, criminal, personnel, and other files compiled for law enforcement purposes. The TECS/IBIS Name Check is a search of a multi-agency database containing information from 26 different agencies. The information in TECS/IBIS includes records of known and suspected terrorists, sex offenders, and other people that may be of interest to the law enforcement community. USCIS will use TECS/IBIS to access National Crime Information Center (NCIC) records on wanted persons, criminal histories, and previous Federal inspections.

If fraudulent or criminal activity is detected as a result of the background check, information will be forwarded to appropriate law enforcement agencies including Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), FBI, CBP, and/or local law enforcement.

The established system of records will be effective January 3, 2007 unless comments are received that result in a contrary determination.

You may submit comments, identified by Docket Number DHS- 2006-0063 by one of the following methods:

This is definitely good news, I am getting an infopass at the end of January so I will definitely ask more about it then. The original link would be very helpful too, thanks for the information springbranch.

To let the steam off

qili said:
how many new offcies and USCIS / FBI / Government officers does it take to check a name on a computer?

If there is an abuse of tax payer dollars, USCIS / FBI is a prime example of that.

That reminds me of the famous joke.

Q: How many [insert chosen group here] does it take to change a lightbulb?
A-1: Ten — one to hold the lightbulb and nine to turn the ladder around.

Too early to be hopeful.

eo23 said:
This is definitely good news, I am getting an infopass at the end of January so I will definitely ask more about it then. The original link would be very helpful too, thanks for the information springbranch.

I don't want to rain on you parade but today I had my fourth infopass and officer who was really nice told me the same thing "name check may take up to 3-4 years".

We (myself and wife) applied for CS with the following timelines:

03/13/06 - N-400
04/01/06 - Receipt Notices PD 03/16/06
04/01/06 - FP Notice for 04/07/06
04/01/06- Notice for Fingerprinting received.
04/07/06 - Fingerprinting done.
04/20/06- IL for Interview on 05/18/06.
05/18/06 - Interview passed by both of us.

However, we have been waiting eversince due to Notorious Name Check procedure. Have contacted USCIS three times (1-800) and one time using INFOPASS (11/24/06). Still same thing.

Anyone in the similar situation? Any suggestions to expedite it? We have to make urgent trip out of country for about 3-4 months due to family sickness but can not because we do not want to miss long awaited Oath Letter.

Please suggest.

Thank you very much.

If I were you,

waitingforcs said:

03/13/06 - N-400

However, we have been waiting eversince due to Notorious Name Check procedure. Have contacted USCIS three times (1-800) and one time using INFOPASS (11/24/06). Still same thing.

Anyone in the similar situation? Any suggestions to expedite it? We have to make urgent trip out of country for about 3-4 months due to family sickness but can not because we do not want to miss long awaited Oath Letter.

Please suggest.

Thank you very much.

This is my story though. I applied in April hoping I would be a citizen by September. It didn't happen and I went to an Infopass. Was told Name check pending. Started reading the threads here and realized that it may take forever to finish this process and making my future plans as if this thing will linger around a couple of years. So If I were you, I would take the trip.

But again I am not you, read more on this bulletin board and I am sure you will make a sound decision.

Thanks springbranch for your input. I think INFOPASS is a waste of time for cases like us. Seems like all they do is look up in the computer and say the same thing that you can hear over the phone using 1-800 number. I think there should be a system for them to physically go and look in your file to see if actually the name check result is back? I am not sure, what kind of tracking system they use, if any. Anyways, thanks again and I will keep updating the status.

waitingforcs said:
I think there should be a system for them to physically go and look in your file to see if actually the name check result is back?

"should" is the operative word here: we have a big government that we unfortunately built that exists to serve its own purposes, not those of the people.

waitingforcs said:

03/13/06 - N-400

Please suggest.

Thank you very much.
waitingforcs,

Since 120 days have passed since your Interview date you can pursue a Lawsuit. It is called "Writ of Mandamus" or something similar..There is information on this web site regarding that.

Updates anyone? Nojob got his interview letter finally 6 months after applying..his name check was also pending..lets hope for the best..i am getting an infopass end of the month to see whats going on..

What is FOIPA?

I have seen on this thread multiple references to FOIPA. What exactly is FOIPA and what it can do for people in our situation?

My info is as follows:

Applied: June 27, 2006
FP Date: July 14, 2006
Detroit

Waiting for IL. My wife applied the same time as I did and she has been a citizen already for more than 3 months.

Hello folks,
I am joining your club.

Here is my Case details:
==================
Filed N400: 10/13/2006
DO: Dallas
FP done: 10/31/2006
Interview Letter for my wife received: 12/23/2006
My wife Interview is scheduled on: 02/20/2007
Interview Letter for me: ????

I have an Infopass scheduled on Monday 1/8/07
I will let you all know the result on Monday.

Regards,
mimo_yyy

Same scenario here. My spouse and I applied the same time at NSC. My details are below. Spouse's interview is on Jan 11. I have requested Infopass on Jan 11. Will post details.

Desprite situation

team,
My PD is Jun7th and FP(Jun 29). I have not receive my IL. i am very worried should I take my INFOSS appointment or wait . pls guide me what sould be right way to track it.

Infopass Update

Well, I just came back from my first Infopass in the Dallas office.
Here is the status:
- Asked the IM about my case. He checked it and said, "it is still pending".
He said that the case is still in the Texas Service center where they are collecting all the information.
- Then I asked him to check specifically for the "Name Check"
He checked it and informed my that it is still "Pending".

- Then I asked him about the new system where USCIS will be able to process the NC themselves. I presented him with the first few pages of the following links:

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_pia_uscis_bcs.pdf

http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/uscisbackgroundcheck.html

He was very interested in this new system and indicated that this will help things move faster.
He even took a copy of the pages to ask someone who comes from the central USCIS.

Regards,
mimo_yyy

-did he give u any rough figure.like how much it is taking average now a days
-what document u broght with u ?