Stuck in name check with new rules after May '06

Good news!!!

Finally some good news:)

I spoke with an IO after calling 800 number and getting transferred from Level 1 of customer service and was told my background check has cleared on May 1, 2007 and I am in the queue for the interview. My file has been transferred from nebraska service center to Kansas City district office.

Case status still appears but I'm hoping it disappears soon. Keeping my fingers crossed. In my case, the priority dates that USCIS has on their website seem to track correctly with the case dates they are processing.

Good luck to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hitting the 8 month mark from my PD. I have initiated both inquires from Dick durbin (Senator) and Jan Schakowsky (local congresswoman) offices. Dick Durbin's staff was very useful and immediately initiated the inquiry whereas Jan Schakowsky's office was very reluctant to do anything; they are saying this is still under normal processing time. She will never get my family's vote!!
More & more I feel like my case will only be resolved with WOM.

Zone911,

You are not under normal processing time. Normal processing time as of Apr 18, 2007 for most DO's was Sep 12, 2006. I suggest you call 800 number and put in a "service request". That way they can trace your case. I have seen a couple of postings that after service request was put in, people received their IL's fairly quickly.

Also speak with an IO either through 800 number or through Infopass as only IO can tell you whether your name check has been completed or not.

Case Update

All,
I just want to keep you posted with my case details.
Today (5/11/07), I recieved my Interview Letter scheduled for 6/19/07 in the Dallas DO.

All the best to everyone stuck in Name Check.

Zone911,

You are not under normal processing time. Normal processing time as of Apr 18, 2007 for most DO's was Sep 12, 2006. I suggest you call 800 number and put in a "service request". That way they can trace your case. I have seen a couple of postings that after service request was put in, people received their IL's fairly quickly.

Also speak with an IO either through 800 number or through Infopass as only IO can tell you whether your name check has been completed or not.

How can you get past the non-IO people to talk to IO with 800 number?

How can you get past the non-IO people to talk to IO with 800 number?

You cannot normally. What I did was give my wife's case number. Her case status has disappeared and when they cannot pull up case info (just like checking on USCIS website), they normally transfer you to an IO. I then gave the IO my case number and they were able to give me details similar to doing an INFOPASS.

I got IL also after 10 months.

I want to do a name change but don't want to stuck again.

Any advice?

I think you have the opportunity at the Interview to change your answer to Part 1 / D. (Name Change). The additional delay would be due to court availability for a judicial oath, if your DO offers judicial oaths.

----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
03/16/07 N-400 sent to NSC
03/20/07 Priority Date
03/23/07 Notice of Action letter received
03/23/07 FP letter received
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview Appointment :) (Notice date July 13)

IL letter

good to know that many of you out there have similar problems.

my priority date was may 24, 2006
since then was stuck in name check

got interview schedule for june 8, 07...but drove all the way for nothing as they did not receive my file from the processing center yet. At least I a got de-scheduling letter, BUT 2 days after my interview date, not acurate at all!!!

now still waiting for 2nd interview date.
But problem is: although I called USCIS many times even spoke to officer and as well did many infopass, I got so many different scenarios that I am not sure if my name check has cleared or not, and my online status still shows pending.

I am really confused!!!:mad:

good to know that many of you out there have similar problems.

LOL! Not sure if that is a "good thing" to know...just kidding :)

BTW - what is meant by "priority date" for N-400?
Is the term "priority date" a hangover from the I-485 days where your "PD" has to be current for adjudication :rolleyes:

For the N-400, is it just the date on your receipt which says when USCIS have received it?

LOL! Not sure if that is a "good thing" to know...just kidding :)

BTW - what is meant by "priority date" for N-400?
Is the term "priority date" a hangover from the I-485 days where your "PD" has to be current for adjudication :rolleyes:

For the N-400, is it just the date on your receipt which says when USCIS have received it?

Yep,

For N-400 priority date, is the date that your application have been filed in their system. In a way after they have received your payment and your check has cleared. That would be the date.