Stuck in name check with new rules after May '06

Jonny123 said:
Guys, tks for your replys.

I did have two info pass already , I uptade my timeline details about infopass , please see below.

and here is what happened during:

1/10/07 Fist Infopass ( Told Case pending)
1/31/07 Second Infopass (Didn't want to provide much details with me except background check pending and Case pending)

2/3/07: Call couples lawyers:
1)most of them say is normal there is nothing they can do and ask me to wait,
2)Only one of them, who is secretary of lawyer told me she will do it, charger is around $600. And they will guarantee me to get a interview letter within 3 month, but about FBI background check is another thing, they will charger extra. Will that really works guarantee to get my interview within 3 month?
3) I am still thinking to call couple more to see what's other opinions

Mean while I am thinking about to contact senator or congressman on my own.

Take a chill pill and relax. Your application is under mormal processing time limits. DO NOT compare with someone who filed around the same time as your's.

Whoever told you that they can get you IL in 3 months is lying to you because you may get it anyway since you just filed in Nov. Don't fall for this BS of paying $600 or even more for expediting response for FBI background check. There is no such thing.

You are going way extreme considering your PD. RELAX

The first 2 are state senators and not US senators. They are good for nothing!
Jonny123 said:
that's what i find

A Senator George Onorato www.nyssenate12.com
2811 Astoria Blvd, Astoria, 11102 - (718) 545-9706
Get directions - More information

B New York Senator John Sabini maps.google.com
3507 88th St, Flushing, 11372 - (718) 639-8469
Get directions - More information

C Senator Hillary R Clinton clinton.senate.gov
780 3rd Ave # 2601, New York, 10017 - (212) 688-6262

Do you guys think I should contact them? Or am I out of my mind? specially Hillary R Clinton I don't think she will have time for me.

800 number information is a hit or miss

I would not take anything that they say at the 800 number at face value, they give you scripted answers to most questions, I was told not to contact them for 6 to 12 months after FP to enquire about namecheck. If the case is pending due to namecheck I do not think they even research the case.

ap74mo said:
I called 800 number today. Was told that it's normal for the N-400 process to last 7 months these days. USCIS counts timeline from PD to date of interview. Following that time, they will put a service request if IL has not been received.

Just to give you guys some comfort

I am in the same boat, so you are not alone.

PO: April 6th, 2006
FP: May 6th, 2006
IL: not received
1st Infopass (Jan 26, 07): name check pending
2nd Infopass (Feb 13, 07): name check requested was submitted to FBI on May 02, 2006.

My name check has been stuck in FBI for more than 9 months. If that is not stuck, what do you name it? :)

Be patient, a friend of mine's PO is also April/2006, and he got his IL last week. I will not contact either congressmen or lawyers until my PO's anniversary, then I will file a WOM by myself. Does it sound like a plan?

Not a good plan

mimicell said:
I am in the same boat, so you are not alone.

PO: April 6th, 2006
FP: May 6th, 2006
IL: not received
1st Infopass (Jan 26, 07): name check pending
2nd Infopass (Feb 13, 07): name check requested was submitted to FBI on May 02, 2006.

My name check has been stuck in FBI for more than 9 months. If that is not stuck, what do you name it? :)

Be patient, a friend of mine's PO is also April/2006, and he got his IL last week. I will not contact either congressmen or lawyers until my PO's anniversary, then I will file a WOM by myself. Does it sound like a plan?

It doesn't sound like good plan, since the gurus on this bulletin board recommend waiting at least 1.5 year and even 2 years. It also depends on which state you live in and how immigrant friendly the judge is.
Good luck

friends I have a questions.
Name Check:IL only gets after the nme check is complete ??
what is back gound check??
which one usally stuck name check or back ground check.??

Name check is only one component of background checks. My undertstanding is background checks consists of number of items such as:

1) Any criminal background or police record - felony, misdemeanor, etc
2) Driving record and history
3) Credit, monetary, money laundering issues
4) Tax evasion, fraud, etc.
5) Name check - checking different versions of name to criminal database
6) Fingerpring check
7) LPR, entry/exit records
8) Other similar issues such as property value, asset search, lawsuits, judgments, bankruptcy, liens, current phone and address, multi-year history, etc.

For background checks requiring top-secret clearance (usually if you work for FBI, CIA, etc), I have even heard and read that they visit your neighborhood and interview neighbors, etc. Don't think it happens or is feasible for N-400.

Interview Letter = FP and Name Check Clear ??

My attorney tells me that Interview Letter does not *neccessarily* mean that FP and Name Check has cleared.

In my case, I got my Interview Letter 10 days after my FP. I do have a unique last name. My Interview is end of Feb and I am taking my Attorney with me.

Is anyone 100% sure that IL means that FP and Name Check has cleared.
Did you go to Interview and were told that FP and Name Check are awaited.

Thanks.

rjo1 said:
My attorney tells me that Interview Letter does not *neccessarily* mean that FP and Name Check has cleared.

In my case, I got my Interview Letter 10 days after my FP. I do have a unique last name. My Interview is end of Feb and I am taking my Attorney with me.

Is anyone 100% sure that IL means that FP and Name Check has cleared.
Did you go to Interview and were told that FP and Name Check are awaited.

Thanks.
Your attorney is correct. you cannot be 100% sure that FP and NC are cleared when you receive your Interview Letter. In most cases after May 2006 an IL is sent only after FP and NC are cleared. If USCIS makes a mistake and sent you your IL without NC and FP they sometimes "De-Schedule" your interview. Otherwise after the interview you will be informed that NC and FP are cleared. So relax ..You have a 90% chance that everything cleared.

Keeping thread alive

Any updates with INFOPASS, customer services, etc? Let's keep communicating. I'm eagerly awaiting the February 2007 processing dates update expected this week on the USCIS website.

Well, my Wife is going for her interview in the Dallas Office on Thursday.
She will ask the IO about my case after she is done with the interview.
I will keep you posted.

Case Details:
==========
10-13-06: Priority Date
10-25-06: FBI Name Check Initiated
10-31-06: Finger Printing
01-08-07: Infopass # 1 - FBI Name Check Pending
01-10-07: Sent FOIPA
02-07-07: Received FOIPA (with NO RECORD)
??-??-??: Waiting for IL
??-??-??: Interview Date

Good luck mimo!

My wife had her interview on Jan 11 and asked the same question of her IO and the IO told her (without checking any data or files) that typically I should expect something in about 4-6 weeks as some cases have extended background checks that take time to complete. It's 5 weeks and counting since then.

USCIS reps on the phone tell me that normal processing time is 7 months these days and anything within that time frame is normal. So, I'm just sitting tight until May 2007 and hoping that I get the IL by then.

One of my friends who applied in the same time frame as I did had his case disappear today on the website...so there's hope but just need tons of patience:rolleyes:

Processing dates don't mean a lot.

Any updates with INFOPASS, customer services, etc? Let's keep communicating. I'm eagerly awaiting the February 2007 processing dates update expected this week on the USCIS website.

From my experience for N400, processing dates in Houston DO are nothing but generic numbers. Friend of mine got whole process finished from filing date to oath date in 4 months, I am still waiting for interview letter for over 10 months.
For the people who are unlucky enough to run into any kind of roadblock in this process, processing dates don't mean anything.

From my experience for N400, processing dates in Houston DO are nothing but generic numbers. Friend of mine got whole process finished from filing date to oath date in 4 months, I am still waiting for interview letter for over 10 months.
For the people who are unlucky enough to run into any kind of roadblock in this process, processing dates don't mean anything.

I agree processing dates don't mean a whole lot but if your case has been beyond the processing date then you have a right to inquire about your case and USCIS reps can request a service check. Service checks do not overcome any issues with background checks but if your case is misplaced or put in the wrong stack, then it's gets back in the fast queue.

In general, it gives you more leverage to write letters, approach congressman/senator, and then even file a WoM.

Thank you, I will wait longer

It doesn't sound like good plan, since the gurus on this bulletin board recommend waiting at least 1.5 year and even 2 years. It also depends on which state you live in and how immigrant friendly the judge is.
Good luck

Thanks, then I think I will wait to the end of the the year, by then the wait time will be more than 1.5 years. Such empirical data are always helpful. Thanks,

Case Update

My wife just passed her interview today in the morning in Dallas Office.
The let me in to the waiting area but of course I didn't accompany her during the interview.
The whole interview took about 15 minutes.

My wife tried to check on my case as I am still stuck in Name Check but the IO told her that I should wait for 6 months before I even start to worry. The IO didn't even look at my case despit my wife's request to check it in the system.

Good Luck everyone.

Even if the IO had looked into the system, he/she would not have been able to give you more information than what you have at INFOPASS.