Stuck in name check with new rules after May '06

eo23 said:
Hi zone911,

Yeah the congressman/woman can't really do much but at least you would have your case frequently checked by them.

How did you do your FOIPA request? Please advise as I would like to request one as well.

I don't know if I did it correctly or not. I followed the advice in Name Check thread. Once I get some sort of acknowledgment, I will put up my procedure.

zone911 said:
I don't know if I did it correctly or not. I followed the advice in Name Check thread. Once I get some sort of acknowledgment, I will put up my procedure.

Definitely do so, I would really appreciate it. I will wait until the end of January before taking any action.

Hi all,

Wenlock who has been posting in the lawsuit thread is getting ready to file a WOM since he has been waiting 17 months for his interview. Let's all learn from his/her experience and in the meantime research what else could be done for people in our case (i.e. pending name check and no interview conducted yet).

jeevs007 said:
EO23,

I have had an infopass in October, when I was told that they are waiting for name-check. I have another infopass on Monday (12/4). I am thinking of contacting my congressman's office after next week. Since my wife is US citizen now, I am not too worried about my citizenship.
Hi, jeevs007, can you share how was the result for 12/4 infopass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi LKBECTZ,

It was a very weird infopass meeting. The first question the Officer asked me was "When was your interview?" (answer - still waiting), and then she went on a rant on why she can't help me, and that I should be contacting Vermont Service Center (instead of wasting her time). Well, she did confirm my address etc on her system, but since the file is still at VSC, she didn't have any other information about my case (not even -- name check pending, that I was told in my first infopass appointment). My key takeaway was that I should be contacting VSC and my congressman (in that order). Since VSC takes couple of hours of wait on the phone, and then they tell you that the name check is pending, I am not sure if I want to invest my time there right now.

If anyone has contact info for NYC congressman Immigration Liaison, please post.

Hope this helps.

I just want to know, Is everybody who got stuck for name check has very common first and last name? I know I do...For e.g. If I search my name thru any whitepages, I get about 32 hits!

My timeline for the Hartford DO is as follows:

PD: Aug 09, 2006
FP: Sep 05, 2006
IL: ?
Infopass 1: Nov 16, 2006 - name check pending

Lets hope for the best!

zone911 said:
I just want to know, Is everybody who got stuck for name check has very common first and last name? I know I do...For e.g. If I search my name thru any whitepages, I get about 32 hits!

I have a very common first and MIDDLE name but not last name.

My first name and last name are not common. I don't even find my own record at www.zabasearch.com.

Just made an Infopass for this Friday. I guess it won't really help but at least it's a prove of some action I have taken.....

my dates
submit N400 - 8/31/06
receipt date - 9/5/06
priority date - 9/5/06
checks cashed - 9/7/06
notice date - 9/12/06
received receipt notice - 9/18/06
fp notice date - 9/14/06
received fp notice - 9/20/06
fp appointment - 9/25/06
interview- xx/xx/xx

Just came back from Infopass appointment. Same old story. We are waiting on your background check.
Also found out that FOIA requests can't be made via fax. Good thing, I sent it via mail also.

So how long do guys think we can wait before doing WOM since we can't use the 120 day rule?

Read wenlock's post

Question:

So how long do guys think we can wait before doing WOM since we can't use the 120 day rule?

Answer:

wenlock posted a great message on "suing USCIS" thread recently with full of information.

Thanks springbranch.

Here is a link which springbranch is referring to

Reasonable Time

This really sucks....It means I can do anything right now. I'll have to wait at least a year :(

USA Immigration = Never Ending Suffering.

zone911 said:
Thanks springbranch.

Reasonable Time

This really sucks....It means I can do anything right now. I'll have to wait at least a year :(

Let's hope once the Democrats take control of the Congress in January, new legislation will come out. Let's also learn from Wenlock's experience and do everything possible before filing a WOM if need be.

zone911 said:
Thanks springbranch.

Reasonable Time

Any updates on your end or anyone else for that matter?

I don't believe this but

eo23 said:
Any updates on your end or anyone else for that matter?

For what it is worth, my lawyer sent me an email stating immigration officer told him they are coming up with a better functioning name check process starting in February 07.

After all the promises, I have lost faith in USCIS but just wanted to convey this unto you guys.

NO FOIPA updates on my end either. It's been two weeks and not even an acknowledgment letter.

Springbranch, I don't think anything going to improve unless they introduce some sort of premium processing for Name Check i.e. extra $1000 bucks in FBI/USCIS pocket just to do their job on time.

Premium processing

zone911 said:
NO FOIPA updates on my end either. It's been two weeks and not even an acknowledgment letter.

Springbranch, I don't think anything going to improve unless they introduce some sort of premium processing for Name Check i.e. extra $1000 bucks in FBI/USCIS pocket just to do their job on time.

Now I am reading/hearing that background checks will be coordinated in a new office starting January 2007 instead of multiple offices. Let's at least keep the fingers crossed.
That idea of Premium Processing makes sense.
Have you heard of any premium processing application similar to N400 case?

I don't know what they are waiting on. Distress caused by the process are known to everybody.
ALL USCIS OFFICERS HAVE GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.
FBI HAS GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.
SENATORS HAVE GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.
CONGRESS HAS GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.

Nice holidays everybody.

springbranch said:
Now I am reading/hearing that background checks will be coordinated in a new office starting January 2007 instead of multiple offices. Let's at least keep the fingers crossed.
That idea of Premium Processing makes sense.
Have you heard of any premium processing application similar to N400 case?

I don't know what they are waiting on. Distress caused by the process are known to everybody.
ALL USCIS OFFICERS HAVE GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.
FBI HAS GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.
SENATORS HAVE GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.
CONGRESS HAS GOTTEN EARFULL OF IT.

Nice holidays everybody.

Hey springbranch,

There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel. Could you possibly gain more information from your lawyer regarding such changes? Or better yet, could you point us to articles discussing this issue?

I think centralizing the name check procedure in one office will make it much more efficient, or atleast I hope so.

Happy holidays everyone.

I had my interview last week and the immigration officer asked me for additional documents. When I asked him as to how long will it take once I send in the documents, he said he will review my application again and that 'my background check is pending anyway'..

I was quite surprised by his last comments for two reasons:

1) I thought they send in the interview letter only after the name check has been cleared. My PD is April 2006

2) I had gone for an Infopass appt about a month prior to my interview letter and the lady at the infopass window had confirmed that my background check was complete. If that was the case, then how come the immigration officer made that comment about my background check still pending during my interview???? Isn't that strange???

springbranch said:
For what it is worth, my lawyer sent me an email stating immigration officer told him they are coming up with a better functioning name check process starting in February 07.

how many new offcies and USCIS / FBI / Government officers does it take to check a name on a computer?

If there is an abuse of tax payer dollars, USCIS / FBI is a prime example of that.