Stuck in Name Check??? Let's track it

Folks,

Today mine and my wife's cases got LUD. Our cases are with CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER. Here is the status text for your review.

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO
ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: This case has been sent for a standard interview.

On February 23, 2007, we transferred this case to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER
location to conduct the interview that is a standard part of processing this
I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS. You will
be sent a notice when the interview is scheduled, or if the office needs
something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer
service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our
processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been
sent to our VERMONT SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check
processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process
your case. Just follow the link below to register.

I am from India, EB2 with current priority date. My case got stuck with Name Check inquiry like as many folks in this forum. Name check is pending since last 2 years. My I-140 was approved in May 2005.

Can somebody shed light on what this status update means?

Thanks

Has anybody been able to find a pattern for this dreaded namecheck?

I have done the special registration when it was first introduced for the males from muslim countries. I have done the special registration while exiting & entering USA ever since. I have updated my address through AR-11 everytime I moved. The FBI should have everything about me in their electronic database. I don't know why I am still stuck in this namecheck.

Hi gcbez,

I am too a male from a muslim Arab country and I have done all the following, and I have been stuck in namecheck since January 2006:

Lived lawfully in the US since 1990 (under different visas)
Received non-immigrant visas for the US probably 9 different times
Graduated High School in the US
Graduated college in the US
Completed my Masters in the US
Had my entire professional career in the US
Complied with all CIS requirements since 1990

The FBI should have everything about me too already in their files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name check cleared & 485 approved.

I received a mail from USCIS on 02/22/07 saying that a welcome notice has been sent. I got scared when both USCIS and senator informed that I am in name check. I did not do anything other than writing letters to the senators. I am lucky that my NC got stuck only for few months.

The whole NC mess is related to the funding. Currently the USCIS pays $4/name check. It does not cover the average cost that the FBI bears for each name check. So I think we should write to our congressman & senators so that they increase the funding for the name check or at least we should request USCIS to use a part of the increased 485 fee to reduce the NC backlog.

Send your comments to the USCIS.Comments must be received by April 2, 2007 and must reference the agency name (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services), as well as the docket number (USCIS-2006-0044). Comments may be submitted through the Federal eRulemakingPortal
http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main
or via mail or hand-deliver / courier, in hardcopy, disk, or CD-ROM form to:

Director, Management Division
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department of Homeland Security
111 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, 3rd Floor
Washington D.C. 20529

I485/I140: ND 07/21/06 (NSC).
140:AD 12/20/06
Name check pending(Informed by USCIS and senator):Beginnning of Feb/07
485:Approved 02/22/07

SC Pending

Hi All,

Recently I called up after my 485 ND went outside their proc date and the rep told me that my security check is pending. Does this mean my NC is pending as well?

Checkout my signature & add me to the unlucky list.

There should be an Excel-based tracker here as well like other threads. What say folks? If u guys give a go ahead I can add one, and then modify according to suggestions.

-Still

Hi gcbez,

I am too a male from a muslim Arab country and I have done all the following, and I have been stuck in namecheck since January 2006:

Lived lawfully in the US since 1990 (under different visas)
Received non-immigrant visas for the US probably 9 different times
Graduated High School in the US
Graduated college in the US
Completed my Masters in the US
Had my entire professional career in the US
Complied with all CIS requirements since 1990

The FBI should have everything about me too already in their files.
They don't care where you did your masters. The information that goes to NC/Security check is your name and date of birth only. Then your name is converted to different variations according to some algorithm and is run against databese of criminals/terrorists names. So don't be surprized. I'm a male of non-muslim origin and still is stuck in the namecheck.

They don't care where you did your masters. The information that goes to NC/Security check is your name and date of birth only. Then your name is converted to different variations according to some algorithm and is run against databese of criminals/terrorists names. So don't be surprized. I'm a male of non-muslim origin and still is stuck in the namecheck.

Michvin,

You're exactly right. My point was: having years of data in your government files means nothing when it comes to the i-485 Namecheck process (there are too many variables in the process that we don't know). I have lived in the US lawfully for 17 years, received 8 or 9 different US visas, and even received a FBI security clearance recently for a high-level government function. Yet, I am still stuck in the i-485 namecheck 13 months after filing i-485.

So, I agree with you.

By the way, how long have you been stuck in namecheck? What's your i-485 RD?

Michvin,

You're exactly right. My point was: having years of data in your government files means nothing when it comes to the i-485 Namecheck process (there are too many variables in the process that we don't know). I have lived in the US lawfully for 17 years, received 8 or 9 different US visas, and even received a FBI security clearance recently for a high-level government function. Yet, I am still stuck in the i-485 namecheck 13 months after filing i-485.

So, I agree with you.

By the way, how long have you been stuck in namecheck? What's your i-485 RD?
I agree with what you say and i keep asking myself if the name check is actually good or bad for terrorism prevention. This lengthy process allows people to stay here for prolonged periods of time and if they have some bad intents it keeps them here legally! On the other hand why such people should bother to apply for GC at all? there are 12 millions illegals here, and nobody is doing nothing about it. What can be better for bad guys?
What i don't understand - why this namecheck at all?

close to yours Nov-2005. Stuck since then

So, you have been in this process for a while too. Have you made attempts to get this namecheck issue cleared? I have contacted a few people before, but I really stepped-up the effort in the last few weeks. If the letters don't work, they will be the foundation for my WOM.

So, you have been in this process for a while too. Have you made attempts to get this namecheck issue cleared? I have contacted a few people before, but I really stepped-up the effort in the last few weeks. If the letters don't work, they will be the foundation for my WOM.
not really. Made inquires (received reply "leave us alone for 6 month"), sent a letter to senator- no reply for 3 month. Thinking of WOM as well

What i don't understand - why this namecheck at all?

It's simple.
Because of the eagerness to cover ass.
You rememer that they gave H1 to the 9/11 hijackers after 9/11?
And somebody was fired for that.
They don't want this to happen again (firing, of course).
So they check FBI databases to establish that the person did not die trying to commit a terrorist act.

Got it

Alright, I think we got it.
I just got three emails for me and my wife saying that Cards have been ordered.

It's been a long journey fainally came to an end.

Thanks all for your help, adivce and support here. It's been great. I will be around so let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
DBU.

Congrats

DBU congrats on completion of a journey!!

Did you try any letters/ WOM or did you just let it go on its own?

Hi Guys

Nothing special other than contacting senator(two months back) and Congressman(with in last 15 days). Congressman's office did not receive the response from FBI yet but senator's office did, where FBI stated my NC was still pending and promised to work on the case as early as possible(may be a standard response).
Not sure if those inquiries helped or took it own course.

If you are stuck in NC/BC/SC, please read the thread below.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=214587

name check stuck

hey guys some body can helpme?
i may in name check stuck
this is my story
140 AP 08/2006
I485 RECIVED SEP 2006
BIOMETRICS DONE OCT 12/ 2006
INTERVIEW NOTICE NOV 10/ 2006
ITERVIEW DONE DEC 04/2006 OFICCER SAY MY SECURITY IS PENDING
TODAY IS MARCH 04 AND STILL PENDING
MI CASE IS IN NAME CHEK STUCK????
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( SOME BODY CAN HELP ME ????/

hey guys some body can helpme?
i may in name check stuck
this is my story
140 AP 08/2006
I485 RECIVED SEP 2006
BIOMETRICS DONE OCT 12/ 2006
INTERVIEW NOTICE NOV 10/ 2006
ITERVIEW DONE DEC 04/2006 OFICCER SAY MY SECURITY IS PENDING
TODAY IS MARCH 04 AND STILL PENDING
MI CASE IS IN NAME CHEK STUCK????
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( SOME BODY CAN HELP ME ????/
what kind of help you're looking for? :cool:
You are (probably) stuck in the name check. You filed only 6 month ago, relax.

Here is the story

I-140 September 28, EB2 Substitution
I-485 RD Sept 8, 2005 pending since then.
I-485 transfered to Local office.
Reply for my enquiry says deley caused due to additional review.

Does any body know what is this additional review is.

I-140 September 28, EB2 Substitution
I-485 RD Sept 8, 2005 pending since then.
I-485 transfered to Local office.
Reply for my enquiry says deley caused due to additional review.

Does any body know what is this additional review is.

"Additional Review" seems to be a generic term used by USCIS based on many threads in this forum and based on my personal experience. I received the "additional review" comments several different times when I inquired about:

(1) EAD for myself
(2) EAD for my wife
(3) i-140
(4) i-485 for myself