Stuck in Name Check??? Let's track it

Has anybody been able to find a pattern for this dreaded namecheck?

I have done the special registration when it was first introduced for the males from muslim countries. I have done the special registration while exiting & entering USA ever since. I have updated my address through AR-11 everytime I moved. The FBI should have everything about me in their electronic database. I don't know why I am still stuck in this namecheck.

stuckINnc said:
Robin, lucky you! My senator's immigration person doesn't do a thing. Which state are you from?

What state are you from? When you said your other family members were approved almost immediately. How long did that take, exactly? Just wondering! Thanks.

I recently found out that I am stuck in Name Check backlog since 6/05. I have heard it from someone that the average processing time now a days is 18-30 months. It seems like there is nothing one can do except to wait patiently.

I'm not sure about the 18-30 months. Out of the people I know I am somewhere in the middle of the wait at 30 months. It becomes increasingly hard to accept that it's just a backlog as you get closer to 3 years!

Me too , 36 months and counting ....!!! Just very dissapointing , these days you don't know what to believe anymore :confused: !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
jimothy, bobyang, name_stuck, jadoo85, marusia_k, Ghebauer and all others waiting for more than 24 months...

**can you guys please update on why your name check may be taking so long...i mean...in case you have a clue....like maybe being from middle east or pakistan or some muslim country...........etc...

**have you guys tried to do anything about this endless wait......if so please write...

i am kind of scared having to wait more than 18 months for 485........i dont like my current employer maybe i need to find out if i have re-file I-140 if i change my employer......(its a pain to get 8-10 reco letters again)

techy2468 said:
jimothy, bobyang, name_stuck, jadoo85, marusia_k, Ghebauer and all others waiting for more than 24 months...

**can you guys please update on why your name check may be taking so long...i mean...in case you have a clue....like maybe being from middle east or pakistan or some muslim country...........etc...

**have you guys tried to do anything about this endless wait......if so please write...

i am kind of scared having to wait more than 18 months for 485........i dont like my current employer maybe i need to find out if i have re-file I-140 if i change my employer......(its a pain to get 8-10 reco letters again)

no. I am not. I am from Taiwan. I contact congressman and he can only help me to get my status which is pending in Name Check. (I call USCIS, infopass but they have no information for me until congressman helps me to find Name Check...) So no idea why it takes so long.. just my luck..

my 1-140 has approved last year and I am waitting my i485 to get greencard. I have a question. if I change the company now, Do I need to start all over again? or I just wait for my i485 approval?

thank you!

bobyang3 said:
no. I am not. I am from Taiwan. I contact congressman and he can only help me to get my status which is pending in Name Check. (I call USCIS, infopass but they have no information for me until congressman helps me to find Name Check...) So no idea why it takes so long.. just my luck..

my 1-140 has approved last year and I am waitting my i485 to get greencard. I have a question. if I change the company now, Do I need to start all over again? or I just wait for my i485 approval?

thank you!

I am in the same boat with you.... I am also from Taiwan and my Name check has been pending since March 4, 2004..... Almost three years.... I even know the congresswoman in my region and she can only do status inquire... very very frustrated.... Any other suggestions other than Lawsuit.... I also wrote to senators and first lasy....

Guys

both my husband and I are from TW, too. We were informed that we are pending due to FBI security check. We filed our I140/I485 on 4/28/2006 and I140 got approved on 5/18/2006. My husband is thinking to file WOM if it's pending more than 1.5 year. Anything else we can do before we file WOM? We've already had our lawyer to do the status inquiry, but so far we have not yet got any further information. Next step we may try congressman inquiry. Our lawyer does not want to file any lawsuit and just only ask us to wait. We may need to get another lawyer if we plan to file WOM.

By the way, our lawyer said it's ok to switch job in the same field as long as your I140 was approved and I485 was pending more than 180 days.

My infopass appointment

Just want to share my infopass experience in NYC today.
Got a number first and waited for 1.5 hrs. According to the officer, my NC is pending and they initiated the NC around last Novemeber. Besides, it would take around half a year for the name check to clear.

It seems that I am already stuck in Name Check. The only thing I could do is keeping my fingers crossed.

bay said:
Guys

both my husband and I are from TW, too. We were informed that we are pending due to FBI security check. We filed our I140/I485 on 4/28/2006 and I140 got approved on 5/18/2006. My husband is thinking to file WOM if it's pending more than 1.5 year. Anything else we can do before we file WOM? We've already had our lawyer to do the status inquiry, but so far we have not yet got any further information. Next step we may try congressman inquiry. Our lawyer does not want to file any lawsuit and just only ask us to wait. We may need to get another lawyer if we plan to file WOM.

By the way, our lawyer said it's ok to switch job in the same field as long as your I140 was approved and I485 was pending more than 180 days.

I have asked few attoney and all of them tell me to wait. i guess they don't like fight with them. I have waited for more than 2 years after submiting my i140 and i485. I have no idea what I can do now because all doors I know are closed, ie, write to USCIS and so on. However, I have heard you can paid extra $1000 to get i140 result within 15 days since Sep 2006...

thank you for the ifnormation. I just asked any attoney and here is his reply
"Don't have to reapply i140 The only thing you need to pay careful attention is that your new job must be in the same or similar position as the old job as described in the Labor Certification filed in Sept. 2001. There is a memo from William Yates explaining what is same or similar. I believe it is May
25, 2005 memo. YOu can find it in google.com."

I have done all of them

Hi bobyang3,

I only heard from one of the senators... surely it was like your case is pending with USCIS and there is no time frame with your case. The other senator's office has not gotten any response from the FBI name check division. I have not heard anything from the first lady' office yet.. mailed her a letter in DEC. and sent another one last week with return and receive service.

I thought people from TW will be eaiser to pass the name check---- It seems not like that... I am serious thinking about the lawsuit soon... it is going to cost me a lot....

Good luck and if anyone has good suggestion, I am willing to try!

jcfeng said:
I thought people from TW will be eaiser to pass the name check---- It seems not like that... I am serious thinking about the lawsuit soon... it is going to cost me a lot....

I guess not :(
do you apply for the travel document? I did and my attoney put "Taipei, Taiwan, ROC" and it shows RPC when I get the document and the gov refuses to change it! it is wasting money because I cannot use that since the passprot shows ROC! so here is another thing I learn, never put "ROC" on any paper! they only undersand "Taiwan" but they dont' understand ROC. which is what they said on the phone to my attoney when we talked on a speaker phone...

let's help each if we know any way we can track it or something. and good luck to all of us!