staying out of country

Angel.A

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone please let me know for how long can one stay out of country after getting the passport?

If you are referring to US Citizenship and the US Passport, then your answer is "forever and ever and ever and ever..." so long as you continue to file taxes on your worldwide income. US Citizens are expected to file and pay taxes regardless of where they are domiciled.

Don't you think it could be a issue if he/she is selected for juty duties etc.?

How does the person know in this case?

Really silly question.

There is no time limit staying abroad for as long as you like. You can even die and get burried in a foreign country with no other negative consequenes - after all, you turn to dust.

And - jury duty doesn't apply since you reside in an area where no US court has juristriction. Further, they wouldn't even get the idea of sending a letter to a foreign country asking you to appear for jury duty.

It seems Angel.A likes to ask strange or obtuse questions.

Perhaps if she/he asked what they really wanted to know and supplied some detail?

Yup and it makes me think that there are such things as "dumb" questions.

Just getting the idea of being a citizen of the "Land of the Free" and not being able to live where you like has some bad logic to it - well wait, there is still Cuba, so perhaps not such a dumb question after all. But alas, you can still live in Cuba for as long as you like, if you are willing to take the consequences.

Yup and it makes me think that there are such things as "dumb" questions.

Just getting the idea of being a citizen of the "Land of the Free" and not being able to live where you like has some bad logic to it - well wait, there is still Cuba, so perhaps not such a dumb question after all. But alas, you can still live in Cuba for as long as you like, if you are willing to take the consequences.

LOL at dumb questions..ppl actually i wana go to pakistan and study over there. im 19 yrs old nd we cant realy afford professional education here, plus id love to go to my country! nd im not aware of all the consequences of citizenship stuff..it seems complicated!

It is not complicated at all, ANGEL. The people at USCIS make it complicated sometimes for the wrong reasons and sometimes for the right reasons. Nobody really knows who it really works.-

But we are here to help you throughout the process. Don't worry. :)

LOL at dumb questions..ppl actually i wana go to pakistan and study over there. im 19 yrs old nd we cant realy afford professional education here, plus id love to go to my country! nd im not aware of all the consequences of citizenship stuff..it seems complicated!

thanx :) another thing i wanted to know is that the infopass thing...does it really help? because my mom took the interview with me on the same day and she still didnt get the oath letter. it has been almost 3 weeks now. and i got my oath letter there and then for march 13th 2009. is it helpful to go for an infopass for this matter?

Just getting the idea of being a citizen of the "Land of the Free" and not being able to live where you like has some bad logic to it - well wait, there is still Cuba, so perhaps not such a dumb question after all.
The US used to revoke the citizenship of naturalized citizens who went back to their original country for 3 years. So asking about the right of naturalized citizens to stay outside of the US for a long time is not an unwarranted question.

thanx :) another thing i wanted to know is that the infopass thing...does it really help? because my mom took the interview with me on the same day and she still didnt get the oath letter. it has been almost 3 weeks now. and i got my oath letter there and then for march 13th 2009. is it helpful to go for an infopass for this matter?
3 weeks is too early to be concerned. Your cases are processed separately, and you should not expect to get both oath letters at the same time or nearly the same time. However, they do have an official 120 day time limit, so if it reaches that point and she still doesn't have an oath letter, make an Infopass appointment as the first step to doing something about it.