Stay duration on a Visitor Visa

ramu2012

Registered Users (C)
On a Visitor visa, you are given entry for 180 days. What is the cooling off period after one visit (say 5 to 6 months long) after which one can enter again?
My friend's parents just visited him and stayed for 6 months. They are back in their home country now but want to visit him again. We were wondering if there's a cooling off period like say 3 months or 6 months after which they can re-visit him for another 6 months without raising any eyes.

Thanks!

They should stay out for AT LEAST 6 months. This works for some people, but for others, it depends on the officer at the port of entry. Any real visitor to the US shouldn't be spending more than 6 months in any 1 year period here. But, some get away with multiple back-to-back trips too. So, it all depends, but ideally, at least 6 months out.

I don't believe there is an official policy regarding the amount of time someone needs to stay out of the US before they are welcome again.

This reminds me of a tv show called Homeland Security USA that was on TV a couple of years ago. There was a case of two foreigners who where in the US for several months and then left. However, they attempted to seek admission back into the US about 10 days after they left, so of course they were questioned and their bags where searched. Well they were denied since they could not over come immigrant intent especially because they had directions in their bag to the Social Security Office.

No genuine visitor to the US should spend more than 6 months in the US during any rolling 12 month window.

We were wondering if there's a cooling off period like say 3 months or 6 months after which they can re-visit him for another 6 months without raising any eyes.