STATE OF VIRGINIA ISSUES 1yr DRIVING LICENCE

SINNERSROOM

Registered Users (C)
I was there today . and they gave me DL for only 1 year . They always look on i 94 . I told them my I94 doesnt say 1 yr . DMV officer explained me that by "VA Laws" they must issue refugees only for 1 yr. i replied i am not refugee :eek:
I had DL from Washington ,DC it was issued for 4 yrs .it means every 6 month we have to go and renew it .

Do you have social and EAD?
In Ga,as long as you have both the documents, they will give u the same period as normal licence.

SINNERSROOM said:
I was there today . and they gave me DL for only 1 year . They always look on i 94 . I told them my I94 doesnt say 1 yr . DMV officer explained me that by "VA Laws" they must issue refugees only for 1 yr. i replied i am not refugee :eek:
I had DL from Washington ,DC it was issued for 4 yrs .it means every 6 month we have to go and renew it .

My sister has had the same problem. She is an asylee but they keep on saying the same thing. She got her GC now so its over..but they are used to doing that way.

SINNERSROOM said:
The same thing happened to me. My DL expired by one day and when I tried to renew it, they told me they will only give me 1 year DL. If you check the DMV VA web site, it says that if a document has a end date, they will put that end date on your DL, but if it's says "indefinite" like ours, they only issue you a 1 yr DL until you bring them a GC. This is for people who are applying a VA DL the first time, or for people who let their DL expire. People who had a DL prior to Jan 1, 2004 (I think that's the correct date if I am not mistaken) and don't let their DL expire are grandfathered and can get a 5 year DL! So if you are an asyllee in VA and have a 5 year DL, don't let your DL expire (not even by one day)!!

SINNERSROOM said:
It's not big deal anymore....now days Green card take less than one year.

SINNERSROOM said:

Same thing happened to me when I applied DL here in California. They only gave me for 1 yrs. it took about 5 months to get DL from DMV. Finally I got which was only for 1 year valid. I also went to INS office regarding this matter with Info pass ( I never forget my first ticket.....I got parking ticket as a bonus :p ) INS officer said that I suppose to get normal DL as Asylee Status. I told him about DMV's policy, he said provide my "Approval letter and I-94). I went to DMV and discussed about it. The DMV officer advised me because of my INS documents, he was nice guy, therefore he also advised me not to provide EAD but instead Approval letter while and I-94 while we apply for DL/or ID at DMV. If you did provide them EAD they look on exp. date and give accordingly. I provide the copy of Approval letter and I-94 (NOT EAD) and after 2 weeks they sent me DL valid until 2011 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
VA law does say that asylees can only get a limited license. But The REAL ID Act passed by Congress says that asylees should be treated as permanent residents.