State department proposes 35% increase in new passport application fee

ugh. here comes the mad rush of applications.

And another phase of multi-month delays. Which brings to light the importance of filing N-600 for your citizen children who weren't born in the US, or at least urging them to file it on their own when they grow up. Because they don't have that certificate, and their passport expires or gets lost when there are long delays in passport renewals, they would have no valid proof of citizenship while waiting for the passport to be renewed/replaced.

That means they will process your application for a passport 35% faster , right? :)
Ironically with the government the processing times will likely become 35% slower. Just like USPS..they increase stamp fees while considering to cut Saturday service.;)

Which brings to light the importance of filing N-600 for your citizen children who weren't born in the US, or at least urging them to file it on their own when they grow up. Because they don't have that certificate, and their passport expires or gets lost when there are long delays in passport renewals, they would have no valid proof of citizenship while waiting for the passport to be renewed/replaced.

When we one day have accumulated enough many expired passports, will it be necessary to still kepp N400 or N600?
Or under circumstances, only the "root" document is acceptable?

When we one day have accumulated enough many expired passports, will it be necessary to still kepp N400 or N600?
Some DMVs don't accept an expired passport for applying/renewing driver's licenses, but they will accept a certificate of citizenship or naturalization certificate.

I don't think Federal jobs that require proof of citizenship will accept an expired passport.

And in states where they require proof of citizenship in order to vote or register to vote, some won't accept an expired passport.
Or under circumstances, only the "root" document is acceptable?
I don't know of any situation where the "root" certificate is required if you have an unexpired US passport. Unless you have to prove citizenship as of some date in the past, like if you are trying to secure citizenship for children born abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some DMVs don't accept an expired passport for applying/renewing driver's licenses, but they will accept a certificate of citizenship or naturalization certificate.

I don't think Federal jobs that require proof of citizenship will accept an expired passport.

And in states where they require proof of citizenship in order to vote or register to vote, some won't accept an expired passport.

I don't know of any situation where the "root" certificate is required if you have an unexpired US passport. Unless you have to prove citizenship as of some date in the past.

Right now is current passport card always acceptable when current passport BOOK is accetable? If one always take care to
renew expiring passport book and passport card, that may make keeping N400 or N600 unnecessary. You don't have to
throiw them away but in case you lost yoru N400/N600 or never got an N600, you do not need to renew them.

If one always take care to
renew expiring passport book and passport card, that may make keeping N400 or N600 unnecessary.
My original point was that if there are multi-month delays in renewing/replacing passports, like what happened some 3 or 4 years ago, and like what may happen this year because of this fee increase, you might end up without a valid passport for months despite your efforts to keep renewing it on a timely basis.