stange interview more than an hour

posos

Registered Users (C)
strange interview !!!!!more than an hour

hi all

i have filed I-30,I-765,I-485 .. ON 2 july 2006 . got notice recived file on 8 july , 19 /9/2006 got my EAD , and notice for AOS interview on 28 nov 2006 ... had my interview last week it take more than one hour , we been interviewed sepratley ,, and the all the question they asked me they asked my wife too , the ansewrs was the same coz we are married for good and we live together ... after the interview the officer said will mail u letter within 90 days ,,, any body have experiance or what do u think gonna happened . im just worried !

any reply appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
It is up to the interviewer whether to interview you together or separately. I don't think it necessarily means that it didn't go fine, it could just be you had an over suspicious interviewer. Similarly I've heard of a lot of cases where the interviewer either wanted to decide later or needed to clear the approval with a supervisor before issuing it.

Did the interviewer mention whether the background check was completed? That could also be another holdup.

"Stoked"

posos said:
hi all

i have filed I-30,I-765,I-485 .. ON 2 july 2006 . got notice recived file on 8 july , 19 /9/2006 got my EAD , and notice for AOS interview on 28 nov 2006 ... had my interview last week it take more than one hour , we been interviewed sepratley ,, and the all the question they asked me they asked my wife too , the ansewrs was the same coz we are married for good and we live together ... after the interview the officer said will mail u letter within 90 days ,,, any body have experiance or what do u think gonna happened . im just worried !

any reply appreciated

Posos.

Generally referred to as "stoke" interview... In most cases, when USCIS smell fraud, they separate the couple and become hostile to them. So, as you say, the answers were consistent and should be fine. :)

Of course, USCIS will tell you they will mail a decision in 90 days, so as to scare the living dickens out of you and wife. However, at times, denial is on the way.... not all the time. So, you should be fine, at least I hope. ;)

Don't be worried, the more evidence that this is a genuine marriage, the better your chances of being granted a greencard. So, be positive and all will work out fine for you and spouse. :eek: Did they ask you what color underwear your spouse was wearing? One of their favorite questions to people whom they suspect are married for immigration fraud... :eek:
Oh..which side of the bed each sleeps in, when facing the ceilling? :rolleyes:

Good luck and good night....

thnks AL SOUTHNER

THEY DIDNT ASK SUCH QUESTIONS , I GUESS BECAUSE MY LAWYER JOIN US AT THE INTERVIEW .... MOST THE QUESTION WAS FOR ME , NOT FOR HER ...

THANKS AGAIN

jimothy said:
It is up to the interviewer whether to interview you together or separately. I don't think it necessarily means that it didn't go fine, it could just be you had an over suspicious interviewer. Similarly I've heard of a lot of cases where the interviewer either wanted to decide later or needed to clear the approval with a supervisor before issuing it.

Did the interviewer mention whether the background check was completed? That could also be another holdup.

THNKS ,

NO HE DIDNT MENTION ABOUT BACKGROUND CHECK , I GUESS THEY ALREADY DID , BECAUSE I HAVE GOT MY EAD 2 MONTHS AGO ... AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE ... BY THE WAY WE BEEN INTERVIEWED BY 2 OFFICER , THE FIRST ONE HE ASKED SIMPLE QUESTION AND LATER HE LEFT THE OFFICE AND SAY I WILL BE RIGHT BACK , 10 MINUTS LATER , HE SHOW UP WITH ANOTHER OFFICER I THINK HE IS THE SUPERVISOR !? U THINK SO ?

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

Good news...

posos said:
thnks AL SOUTHNER

THEY DIDNT ASK SUCH QUESTIONS , I GUESS BECAUSE MY LAWYER JOIN US AT THE INTERVIEW .... MOST THE QUESTION WAS FOR ME , NOT FOR HER ...

THANKS AGAIN

I am glad you took your lawyer to the interview. Since he was there, you are fine and should be approved without any issues. :) Those silly questions are asked to immigrants across the country, and they tend to be stupid, but some USCIS officer feel that they are justified in asking them.

So, I wish you a speedy resolution to this matter, before 90 days. I am not sure what is the significance of 90 days... :rolleyes:

Posos, just curious, what is the age difference btw you and your spouse? Are you of same race and colour?

Hi,
Some offices have a policy of interviewing couples separately in a marriage based AOS case. Kansas City I have heard is one of them.
Was that your DO?

justnew said:
Posos, just curious, what is the age difference btw you and your spouse? Are you of same race and colour?

Excuse me, same race and color? Why would that be of any importance??? My husband is African-American and I am white... So according to you, that will make a difference. You do realize that would be prejudicial and people could file a lawsuit. Stuff like this just pisses me off.

Glorya said:
Excuse me, same race and color? Why would that be of any importance??? My husband is African-American and I am white... So according to you, that will make a difference. You do realize that would be prejudicial and people could file a lawsuit. Stuff like this just pisses me off.

Hi:

I am not sure that the poster was condoning such profiling --- merely noting that it exists. Unfortunately many improper and disgraceful things do happen during some USCIS interviews and I don't think racial profiling is unforeseeable.

Glorya,
No disrespect or offence meant to your post but Justnew has a valid point.
A cousin of mine is a practising AILA lawyer. He is friends with several USCIS adjudicators who work in his local DO (Detroit). With his off-the-record chats with those USCIS officers, he has learnt that when adjudicating marriage based cases, those officers "look" for certain variables. Some of those variables are:-
(1) Significant age difference
(2) Whether both speak the same language as their mother tongue
(3) Difference in ethnic background or faith
(4) Difference in level of education attained
(5) Financial background of both

Yes this even sounds bad but these are variables that do come into play. All the neccessary information the officers need (or want) can be derived from the forms (specially G-325A) filled in. When I was about to attend my K-1 based AOS interview, I called my cousin up casually for a "free" (ever got that from a lawyer?) consultation just to ease my nerves. These were his words...."Your wife is 17 months younger to you. She is Pakistani-American and you are Pakistani-Canadian. Both of you have post-graduate degrees. Both of you are muslim and even belong to the same sect. Both are six figure earners. All 4 of your folks were born in the same state in India. There is no red flag. It will be a breeze"

The next day when we both went for our interview, this is what happend. After we both took the oath, the officer turned to me and asked me if this is my first marriage. I replied in the affirmitive. He then asked the same question to my wife and got the same reply. He then asked us if both have any kids. Once we both answered in the negative, the interview concluded.
I was approved for my GC after that.

Just to back up what people are saying I have also been told that USCIS look for these sort of variations. My attorney, who had been practising for 40 years, suggested that he didn't need to accompany for interview us because our ages, educational backgrounds and economic backgrounds were similar. Whilst our ethnic backgrounds were disimilar he felt that it wouldn't be a red flag as my citizenship is of a country with relatively low immigration to the US for economic reasons.

Thats not to say that USCIS make decisions based on these variables, but they do tend to use these variations as flags.

Jim

Slightly OT: I apologise for hijacking this thread

Jim,
Your background check is on its 28th month? 2 EADs and 3 APs? Just curious, how many infopass appointments have you made and how regularly? I hope your case is resolved soon. My AOS took 11 months and I thought 2 APs were enough for me.
Tons of good luck!!!

jimothy said:
Just to back up what people are saying I have also been told that USCIS look for these sort of variations. My attorney, who had been practising for 40 years, suggested that he didn't need to accompany for interview us because our ages, educational backgrounds and economic backgrounds were similar. Whilst our ethnic backgrounds were disimilar he felt that it wouldn't be a red flag as my citizenship is of a country with relatively low immigration to the US for economic reasons.

Thats not to say that USCIS make decisions based on these variables, but they do tend to use these variations as flags.

Jim
Well, this seems to be reasonable...

I'll tell you about my interview when it happens. It should be interesting, because we have lots of those above mentioned differences. They never bothered us, but with USCIS you never know.

InfoPass approxmiately every six months until recently but have now been going every month as my file was held up being transferred from LA to Houston. I hope it gets resolved soon too :)

Going back to the original topic. posos, just because your EAD came through does not mean that the background check is completed, sorry.

I wanted to ask if anyone had the experience of the officer during the interview take the I-94 from the passport and keep it.

I heard that is suppose to be a good sign.

There is a couple of things they look for in terms of marriage based aos. The difference in age is definitely one of them. I heard one case where the couple had a 30 year difference in age. They didn't deny it they just held the case pending indefinitely.

the easiest thing people can do is to either show up to the interview pregnant or having children's birth certificates. That will ensure a smooth process and an easy interivew or no interview at all.

Jewel12 said:
Well, this seems to be reasonable...

I'll tell you about my interview when it happens. It should be interesting, because we have lots of those above mentioned differences. They never bothered us, but with USCIS you never know.

And me too...
We have a few of those differences. So we will see how our interview will go. I will let you all know. But we have to be ready for the worst... :rolleyes:

Age difference...

polich said:
And me too...
We have a few of those differences. So we will see how our interview will go. I will let you all know. But we have to be ready for the worst... :rolleyes:

Polich,

If you don't mind, what's the age difference?

Guys, whatever USCIS brandish as a reason, people are free to marry whomsoever they choose. It is absurd that USCIS and US govt apply an unreasonably high bar on immigrants marrying older US citizens. :mad:

I didn't hear anyone at USCIS complain about Woody Allen marrying his stepdaughter, one who was adopted and couple of decades younger than his nuts... :eek: So, since this is a free country, people should be left alone to marry each other, irrespective of age differences. After all, they are also entitled to the same marital challenges all of us in the same age group have... ;)

I wouldn't advise anyone to be pregnant as a proof to USCIS that their marriage is bona fide, because unless you are planning to have a baby that soon, cool..... otherwise.... screw USCIS..... :rolleyes: Pregnancy in Uncle Sam is another bill and responsibility which USCIS won't contribute a dime. All immigrants should prepare for their AOS interviews, prepare and organize their evidence, more evidence and longer, then better.

If I had married a hot, busting boobs younger woman, :p maybe the age difference is 30 years, I would be thrilled to go to USCIS. After all, I would be having a sweet night every night, while they are mad at me as to why I married this young woman. I will even tell Interviewing Off, screw you and your old man or woman, young blood refresh and boils my old blood.... :D If you have a problem with that... come and sleep under my bed... :cool: At least, once you get the hell out under my bed, you will know and see why I need to be approved now... :D

good luck to all people who have huge age difference, don't be nervous and prepare your evidence and you are on your way to the green....card...

Al Southner said:
Polich,

Guys, whatever USCIS brandish as a reason, people are free to marry whomsoever they choose. It is absurd that USCIS and US govt apply an unreasonably high bar on immigrants marrying older US citizens. :mad:

It is not at all absurd. The USCIS doesn't prevent anyone from marrying. If an 18 year old wants to marry an 88 year old, the USCIS will do nothing to stop the marriage. However any intelligent person will think there may be something fishy when that marriage occurs and espcially if the next day one of the two parties files for a benefit (ie a Green Card) based on the marriage. It is not al all absurd for the USCIS to take a closer look. Same goes if a marriage is between someone with a PhD and someone with an 8th grade education. It just doesn't look right. Again a Phd can marry anyone he/she wants and nobody will care. But when it comes to proving a legitimate marriage, it is a valid reason to inquire a little deeper.

Al Southner said:
I didn't hear anyone at USCIS complain about Woody Allen marrying his stepdaughter, one who was adopted and couple of decades younger than his nuts... :eek: So, since this is a free country, people should be left alone to marry each other, irrespective of age differences. After all, they are also entitled to the same marital challenges all of us in the same age group have...
You didn't really just use Woddy Allen marrying his step-daughter as an argument did you?

Al Southner said:
I wouldn't advise anyone to be pregnant as a proof to USCIS that their marriage is bona fide, because unless you are planning to have a baby that soon, cool..... otherwise.... screw USCIS..... :rolleyes: Pregnancy in Uncle Sam is another bill and responsibility which USCIS won't contribute a dime. All immigrants should prepare for their AOS interviews, prepare and organize their evidence, more evidence and longer, then better.

Do you know what Uncle Sam is? You keep refering to it as interchangable with the US. It's not.

Al Southner said:
If I had married a hot, busting boobs younger woman, :p maybe the age difference is 30 years, I would be thrilled to go to USCIS. After all, I would be having a sweet night every night, while they are mad at me as to why I married this young woman. I will even tell Interviewing Off, screw you and your old man or woman, young blood refresh and boils my old blood

I'm sure you would.