Sponsor mother for GC

Lord Kabir

Hello,

This is my first time posting. I am a USC who would like to sponsor my mother for GC via consular processing in Pakistan. I have the following documents ready to mail to USCIS but am having a little issue:

1) I-130
2) My Birth Certificate.
3) Copy of my US Passport.
4) Copy of mother's passport.
5) Mother's travel history for the past 10 years.
6) Mother's Birth Certificate.

My father is no longer alive and I have a copy of his death certificate as well.

Issue is that my Birth Certificate does not have my mother's maiden name, it contains her married name; my mother's Birth Certificate contains her maiden name. I believe in such a situation I may need to show proof of name change by providing a document such as my parent's marriage certificate which we do not have; not even sure if their marriage was registered anywhere; she does not remember either (she is over 72 years old). I have tried to research this and have seen suggestions of getting affidavits which we may be able to do.

I wanted to ask if there was anything else I should look into or am I over reacting with the whole marriage certificate thing?

Please advise.

-Kabir

My situation is almost identical to yours. My father passed away as well, and I filed for my 72 year old mother (born in 1945). My Birth certificate also has her married name and I went through the whole process smoothly. She just picked up her passport with US visa and US Welcome packet last week. She will be in the US September 1st.
Be prepared to produce many more documents though. Once you get a visa number and the case is referred to the National Visa Center, you may also have to produce copies of criminal background checks for all the jurisdictions your mother has lived in. Expect additional fees as well.

Hello,

So my mother's case is now with NVC and they are asking for Police Clearance Certificate. I am a little confused on this as I see the following on travel.state.gov's reciprocity site:

Police Records
Unavailable

Comments: Pakistan has no nationwide tracking system for criminal activities. Police Character Certificates are available for a fee from District Coordinating Offices. However, they are not an accurate reflection of an individual's criminal record. An applicant who has committed a crime in one district may be able to obtain a clean Character Certificate from that district or another. Given the inaccuracy of these certificates, they are not required for consular processing.

Does this mean I do not need to submit the Police Clearance Certificate? Where would one get this from anyway in Pakistan?

Please share any suggestions or advice if anyone knows how to go about this, much appreciated.

-Kabir

Hello everyone,

We were able to procure all the required documents and my mother's visa was approved. She did not receive any sealed or unsealed envelopes/packets from the US Embassy. She did receive a compact disc (CD) from the medical center where she underwent her medical exam and received immunizations. She was instructed to give the CD to the immigration officer when she visits the US.

Upon her arrival in the US (JFK in NYC), she was momentarily taken to the secondary inspection. Her passport was stamped with the entry port/date with the words "IR5" written in pen. They did not take the CD from her or ask her any other questions, nor did they mention anything about her physical green card delivery address. She was very tired from the long journey so she forgot to ask also.

Her visa sticker does state "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR".

1) I wanted to ask does the entry stamp (one that has IR5 written in pen on it) serve as the endorsement?

2) Also, is there anyway for me to find if her physical green card has been ordered? There is a case number that got created when I paid her Immigrant Fee via her USCIS account but the status of that case does not explicitly mention if a card has been ordered or not.

I also want to thank everyone who contributes to this forum as it has been very helpful to me during this process.

-Kabir

She is not visiting, she is immigrating, er, immigrated. The US is now her permanent home.
1) yes
2) green card is ordered once a combination of fee payment and US arrival on IV. So, yes it's been ordered and give it about a couple of months.

Glad you found this forum helpful! Please take time to volunteer and help others on this forum.

A little update. My mother has received her social security AND her physical green card; both in less than 2 weeks of her entry. Very pleasantly surprised at this level of efficiency.

Thank you 1AurCitizen, my mother and I are still getting used to the idea that she's here permanently now and you are right that she's no longer a "visitor"....:). And I would love to help on this forum with the knowledge and experience I have gathered through this process.

-Kabir

Thank you Dave, feeling very grateful and relieved that everything went smoothly.

-Kabir
Hello!
My mom's story is absolutely the same, but the end is still unknown... Lord Kabir's mom and mine have arrived pretty much the same time (my mom just 1 week earlier). But her SS card has never came (we filed the application electronically and it was supposed to come right away), and we needed to go to the office where they said that she is not even in the system. Does it mean that they didn't do something important in the airport and it didn't trigger the SS card and the GC issue($220 was paid way before she arrived)? It's been long time since then and there is no GC... How can I check that the card has been ordered or not?

Hello!
My mom's story is absolutely the same, but the end is still unknown... Lord Kabir's mom and mine have arrived pretty much the same time (my mom just 1 week earlier). But her SS card has never came (we filed the application electronically and it was supposed to come right away), and we needed to go to the office where they said that she is not even in the system. Does it mean that they didn't do something important in the airport and it didn't trigger the SS card and the GC issue($220 was paid way before she arrived)? It's been long time since then and there is no GC... How can I check that the card has been ordered or not?
I was not aware that the SSC came automatically. When I sponsored my mother, I had to take her to the Social Security Office after receiving her new green card to apply for a SSC.

If you apply for the IV in the electronic form - they send you a letter not to go to the SS office, the endorsement will trigger the both cards. So far it never happened.
Do you know if we should take to any kind of consideration the IV expiration day if she already made her first entry and went back to her country? Does the next (the second) entry have to be done before this day? She does't have he GC ready yet.

If you apply for the IV in the electronic form - they send you a letter not to go to the SS office, the endorsement will trigger the both cards. So far it never happened.
Do you know if we should take to any kind of consideration the IV expiration day if she already made her first entry and went back to her country? Does the next (the second) entry have to be done before this day? She does't have he GC ready yet.

Look at the bottom of her IV. There is a printed line about ..on endorsement serves as temporary I551 for one year.
The endorsement is her stamp on entry. It is no longer a “visa” but now a temporary green card valid for one year from when she entered. She can use that as proof of status to return, obviously before the one year is up.
She will need to visit an SS office when she gets back. Sometimes the SS card production doesn’t happen automatically even though it is supposed to.

Look at the bottom of her IV. There is a printed line about ..on endorsement serves as temporary I551 for one year.
The endorsement is her stamp on entry. It is no longer a “visa” but now a temporary green card valid for one year from when she entered. She can use that as proof of status to return, obviously before the one year is up.
She will need to visit an SS office when she gets back. Sometimes the SS card production doesn’t happen automatically even though it is supposed to.

I already told this OP about the mom’s IV upon endorsement becoming a temporary GC which is valid for one year from the date of endorsement and that the mom can still safely use it to return to the US. I suppose she didn’t believe it even though she acknowledged the post yesterday.

I definitely believe!:)) But my mom is so panicked about the expiration day on the right side of the visa - I wasn't sure how to explain it to her today... I told he just to ignore it from now on since the stamp is providing with the "new info".

Thank you ALL a lot !!!

That expiration date on the right side of the visa is for single entry, an entry that has been utilized. The endorsement validates it to makes it multiple entry.

Hi Elfin, is there any update in your mother's USCIS account? There should be a case number there which you can use to contact USCIS for updates if needed.

Hope you get to see progress on this soon.

-Kabir

Hi Kabir!
There is no updates since Dec 2 when the payment of the $220 was made (before my mom arrived). I assume the Green cards issuing is being done in the same place. Our mothers arrived in the same time frame. That's what arises the question if my mom's case is not reported properly in the airport/ I don't know how to check it(((