social service money back

kacupl

im here on a non-resident visa since 2007. since that time i paid few thousands from my paychecks for medicare and social service. is there any chance that i could get my money back?

Actually, the only way to get any benefit from those contributions -- at retirement age -- is (a) to continue working and contributing to SS for 10 years, or (b) if you worked in a country that has a "totalization agreement" with the US, which would allow you to combine your work history in that other country with your US history to qualify for SS.

Otherwise, consider it as a tax.

Actually, the only way to get any benefit from those contributions -- at retirement age -- is (a) to continue working and contributing to SS for 10 years, or (b) if you worked in a country that has a "totalization agreement" with the US, which would allow you to combine your work history in that other country with your US history to qualify for SS.

Otherwise, consider it as a tax.

===================
Contributing for 10 years can i get the money if i am not in usa ?

If you are eligible for SS benefits, then you can collect.

----------
Hi,

Thanks for the response back. This is really good news if ts true. Here are a little more details about me :

I am an Indian citizen and have been in this country working for 12 years and contributing to SS. I have more than 40 credits and have a letter form the SS stating I am eligible to get Social Securit at retirement.

Now if I go back to India for good, can I still collect SS on retirement or Can I get a LumpSum now itslef while going back to India ?

You will receive monthly SS payments while in India, just as you would if you lived in US, when you retire, and not a lump-sum.

The SS will be taxable in US and/or India depending on the US/India tax treaty.

SSI will not be granted if you leave from State about 1 month.

As far as I know, you have to notify SSA about your moving to India 10 days before in that month. Otherwise, your fine fees will be deduct from your SSI.