Social security number

venegreen

Registered Users (C)
i went to our nearest social security office to updated my ss number an to get ones for my daughter and wife and they didn't because it was not in their records that we are already permanent residence holders . we got our approval since january 2007
is that normal? What should i do?
thanks in advance

i went to our nearest social security office to updated my ss number an to get ones for my daughter and wife and they didn't because it was not in their records that we are already permanent residence holders.

They should take your application, and manually verify it with USCIS. It'll take 8-12 weeks.

Yup....This is normal procedure when they can not locate your record in the computer. You will have to wait. They should give you letter saying something "we can not process your status now, but we will be contacting immigration blablabla....".

i went to our nearest social security office to updated my ss number an to get ones for my daughter and wife and they didn't because it was not in their records that we are already permanent residence holders . we got our approval since january 2007
is that normal? What should i do?
thanks in advance

I am in the same situation even though my GC was just approved a couple of weeks ago. I called social security customer service and was told that the records were already updated if we are already in possession of the GC. So this morning I went to the SS local office but then was advised that the records were not there yet. They made a copy of the GC and will verify with immigration. I was told that it will take 6 weeks to complete this.

I went to the Social Security office today, and they told me that I wasn't in the system yet. I was approved and had my passport stamped Last Friday on the 16th. I thought I would be in their system because my online USCIS status says "...we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status..." Anyway they made copies of my papers, and said they will check again on Monday if I'm in their system (because they said they usually wait 10 days from approval), and if I'm not then they will do the checking manually.

I went today again to the ss office and it appears that iam already in their system they destroyed my old ss card and told me that the new one should arrive in my mail within two weeks. so i have to wait 2 weeks to get the ss card

why we need to go to SS office?

I went today again to the ss office and it appears that iam already in their system they destroyed my old ss card and told me that the new one should arrive in my mail within two weeks. so i have to wait 2 weeks to get the ss card

Hi, I saw many people discuss about going to SS office after getting their GC. Can anyone tell me why? Do we need to get a new one or what? I think i lost my old card, also the old card said invalid to work. Should i go to ss office to tell them i have GC or so? any input will be helpful. Thanks :)

Hi, I saw many people discuss about going to SS office after getting their GC. Can anyone tell me why? Do we need to get a new one or what? I think i lost my old card, also the old card said invalid to work. Should i go to ss office to tell them i have GC or so? any input will be helpful. Thanks :)

Yes you should get a new SS Card. It will not have any restrictions on it, so you can use it to show that you are authorized to work. Just take your GC with you when you go to the SS office.

Thanks

Yes you should get a new SS Card. It will not have any restrictions on it, so you can use it to show that you are authorized to work. Just take your GC with you when you go to the SS office.

hi, thanks for your reply.
is this an urgent matter? does it need to be done ASAP?? Thanks

Question.

No, whenever you have the time.

Hi TheRealCanadian,

Ok, i actually just found my SS card. It's invalid to work. Can you let me know what's the purpose to go to SS office? Just to change status of my SS card to "valid to work"? What so i say when i get there? thank you very much.

I am in the same situation even though my GC was just approved a couple of weeks ago. I called social security customer service and was told that the records were already updated if we are already in possession of the GC. So this morning I went to the SS local office but then was advised that the records were not there yet. They made a copy of the GC and will verify with immigration. I was told that it will take 6 weeks to complete this.

I received a letter from SS yesterday indicating that I should receive the new card within 2 weeks. So I guess, it takes SS 2 weeks to verify my immigration status and another 2 weeks to deliver the card.

I received a letter from SS yesterday indicating that I should receive the new card within 2 weeks. So I guess, it takes SS 2 weeks to verify my immigration status and another 2 weeks to deliver the card.

I also received a letter from the SS 2 days ago saying that I should receive the new card within 2 weeks. I hope I get the card as fast as you did ...

How long?

I also received yesterday the ss card wit no restriction

Hi venegreen,

So it is normal that we have to wait for 4-8 weeks for SS office to verify our info with USCIS? I went to update this morning and they gave me a letter said they need to verify and it will take 4-8 weeks. I hope this is normal.

Also how much time total from the day you went til you received the card??
Thanks for your help.

hi bebesf2000
yeah its very normal they have to verify...
mine took 3 weeks from the first time i went to their offices
i hope, you'll get it very soon

hi bebesf2000

Did your updated SS card arrive? I went to SS office on April 19 and was told the same thing. I was given a letter that said it will take four weeks for SSA to verify my status with DHS. BTW, I received my physical green card on April 12.

not yet.

hi bebesf2000

Did your updated SS card arrive? I went to SS office on April 19 and was told the same thing. I was given a letter that said it will take four weeks for SSA to verify my status with DHS. BTW, I received my physical green card on April 12.

Hi,
I didnt get mine yet. I went there on 4/9 and seems everybody got a letter from them like in 2 weeks and got their card after 1 week. I think you can still wait another week or so.