Social security number

Hi Gurus, I thought you receive the SSN card automatically, because you have applied for it on your DS230 forms. Do you have to apply again in person at the SS Office?:confused:
The people applying again are those who already had an SSN but want to change the card to look like what GC holders and citizens get (the "not valid for employment" notation is removed). Sounds like your situation is about getting an SSN for the first time, not changing an existing card.

Has anyone,on a visa like H4 applied for a SSN after getting EAD?Did you receive your SSN??Or was it denied?And what do u do abt your TIN after SSN?How do you notify IRS abt the change?Thanks. :)

Same here. My wife got her SSN when she got her EAD. And we just used that number on next tax return. I asked an IRS guy and they said that when they recieve your tax forms they check new SSN against SSA and if it matches they update their records.

Me and my wife already have SSN card which says "With DHS work authorization only". We both were on H1.

Do we still have to apply so that information gets updated?

Or does the information gets updated automatically in SSA records, even if we dont apply for a new card.

Is the new card for showing to people when need be ? or is it actually us telling SSN office to update our information in their system. Should nt they been having the updated information already.

Thanks in advance.

Me and my wife already have SSN card which says "With DHS work authorization only". We both were on H1.

Do we still have to apply so that information gets updated?
You need to apply for the new card.

Is the new card for showing to people when need be ? or is it actually us telling SSN office to update our information in their system. Should nt they been having the updated information already.
The new card is for showing to employers or other entities that might need to see it.

i guess things have changed now... when we got our passports stamped with our gc approval, we went that day to the ss office with our stamped passports and got new ss cards ordered and 1st time ss cards for our kids... no problems at all.

All,

Following is my personal experience. Please use it at your discretion
Spoke to SSN office (1-800-..._), today . The lady took my information and said you don't absolute need to apply for the new card. But if you want to update your own records you can. She also said if the card already says "Valid for work with DHS authorization" . That should be good enough and no need to get the new card.

It is for showing employers if need be , but normally only Permanent resident card (551) is required for I-9 form.

Also, another thing is we HAVE to mention to the CPA that we are permanent residents now, when we apply for the tax returns normally in April each year. This should automatically update our records with IRS , if they already dont have it.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
It is for showing employers if need be , but normally only Permanent resident card (551) is required for I-9 form.
Actually, if you have a SS card without the employment authorization condition, that combined with a driver's license can be used to satisfy I-9 requirements without using the green card. That makes it very useful to have the new SS card, in case your green card is ever lost/damaged/stolen. Or if you don't want to let HR automatically know that you are not a citizen.

I dont remember mentioning to my CPA if I was on H1 , but may be he always guessed it . But I read on USCIS website (in "Now that you are a permanent resident" section) that not to declare yourself as “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

If you're already US tax residents, nothing will change come tax time.

True, we dont have to flash GC to HR and with non conditional SS card it would be cool. But seriously , which HR person knows about non conditional SS card, they would look/ask for your GC no matter what.

Also, if you want to claim (indirectly) as a US citizen being a permanent resident . Its a crime.

Well all this discussion has stemmed from my laziness to stand in line for new ss card :) .

Actually, if you have a SS card without the employment authorization condition, that combined with a driver's license can be used to satisfy I-9 requirements without using the green card. That makes it very useful to have the new SS card, in case your green card is ever lost/damaged/stolen. Or if you don't want to let HR automatically know that you are not a citizen.

Is there any specific time period we need to report to company about change in status. Can we update company based on the online GC approval or should we wait for physical card to come.

The I-9 specifically asks you if you are a Permanent Resident, and what your A# is. :)

True, we dont have to flash GC to HR and with non conditional SS card it would be cool. But seriously , which HR person knows about non conditional SS card, they would look/ask for your GC no matter what.
The I-9 instructions specifically forbid them from asking for the green card, if other acceptable proof of identity and employment eligibility is available (such as DL + unconditional SS card).

The I-9 specifically asks you if you are a Permanent Resident, and what your A# is. :)
Oops, yes I just noticed that upon looking back on the form.

Anyway, it's still good to have the option of showing just the DL + SS card. When they take a copy they might circulate the copy to various departments, and I don't want to automatically let people know if I am a citizen or not (even when I am a citizen, I don't want to let everybody at my employer know unless their specific role requires them to know). Now that I have no time limitations on my stay in the US nor require any form of employer sponsorship, I want to be treated as an employee, period ... not better or worse because of my citizenship or lack thereof.

Can we update company based on the online GC approval or should we wait for physical card to come.
You need to present physical, original documents to them. So you have to wait for the card (or if it appears the card is taking a very long time to come, get an ADIT stamp in your passport).