Social Security Card, How Long Does It Take ?

MWDW

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I plan to go to Social Security Office sometimes next week.
I want to kindly ask anybody here who had experience getting their social security card after EAD.

How Long Does It Take for your Social Security Card to arrive in the mail from the day you apply for it at Social Security Office?

If several people posted here, we could know the average days,
so please everybody, post your experience here.

Thanks.

Hey MWDW, like you said my EAD got approved after 43 days since uscis received my application. I am waitig for my card now. I will apply for social security card as well later

I went to Social Security Offices this morning,
came at 9:30am,
the line already forming (at least 25 people in the line), but the line move fast,
in about 20minutes we already able to be seated inside, then the wait is a bit longer for new applicant,
because most windows served the people who already have social security...
around 10:30am got called to the window,
and the man helping us is quick, friendly and courteous.
He gave us a receipt for the application
(printed on piece of paper saying we had applied for Social Security and under processing).
We are so happy that everything is easy that we forget to check our name,
and turn out my wife name were misspelled. Luckily we are only few meters away from the window,
so we immediately go back and force to cut another person who supposed to be served after us. (sorry for that :) )...
and the officer realized his mistake right away and fix it and print another paper with correct spelling for my wife.

so don't forget to check your name and address on the print out receipt,
make sure they are correct before leaving the social security office :)

oh, one last thing,
he only need Passport, EAD and the filled application form.
that is all he asked to see from us.
We do bring many other supporting documents though... (birth certificate, marriage certificate etc...)...

oh, he told me that our social security card should arrived at our address in 3 to 5 business day !

Mine arrived in 5 days. But in 2 days you also can get a letter from social security with your number even before you recieve the card. Because they give you number right away, then print that card and send to you, so all this takes from 5 to 10 days. If there is no holidays. So if you need it urgent, just go there again and ask to print for you letter with your number. That is what I did and use at my work.

Mine arrived in 5 days. But in 2 days you also can get a letter from social security with your number even before you recieve the card. Because they give you number right away, then print that card and send to you, so all this takes from 5 to 10 days. If there is no holidays. So if you need it urgent, just go there again and ask to print for you letter with your number. That is what I did and use at my work.

I follow your advice,
this morning I return to the SSN office,
and how lucky I am because this is Wednesday, so no line there,
I was able to go to the service windows right away.
well, at the front door, the nice and kind lady that greet us told me that,
usually the New Number for New Social Security is not available over night,
but she said her co worker can help us check.
Turn out, again we are lucky cause our new social security number are ready,
and the lady at the window (again nice and kind lady) printed it for us.

so right away,
we go to DMV to apply for Driver License, took the written test at DMV, and pass them.
Just have to arrange for driving test soon :)

at DMV, they ask you to fill up the DL-44 form, and show your EAD (or Passport).
they do NOT even ask for the social security CARD cause we already wrote the SSN number on the DL-44 form,
and I am sure they were able to verify our social security number right away.
again, DMV don't even ask us to show the social security card
(cause at this moment, we have not received the SSN card yet,
and all that we had was just the printed letter from SSN office containing our new SSN number). :)

They deliver services through a nationwide network of over 1,400 offices that include regional offices, field offices, card centers, teleservice centers, processing centers, hearing offices, the Appeals Council, and our State and territorial partners, the Disability Determination Services. We also have a presence in U.S. embassies around the globe. For the public, they are the “face of the government.” The rich diversity of our employees mirrors the public we serve. http://www.ssa.gov/aboutus/

It took 2 + 5 business days for me

I know this topic is almost ended up to a proper answer but just for others information.
I went there right after my arrival. I had an I-94 with authorized employment. The SS staff told me she could not get a confirmed query from SAVE database and for verifying my status she needs to contact DHS via different method.
She told me it may take up to 6 weeks but when I went there 3 days later they told me they got the verification and they will issue the card in 2 weeks. However it just took 5 days for me to receive the card in my mailbox.

I got my SSN in my mailbox yesterday, (I applied last Tuesday),
that mean it took me 5 business day (including the day I applied and the day I received in my mailbox),
or if you want to count the absolute days, it took me 6 days.

I got my SSN in my mailbox yesterday, (I applied last Tuesday),
that mean it took me 5 business day (including the day I applied and the day I received in my mailbox),
or if you want to count the absolute days, it took me 6 days.

I live in Orange County do you know the address of the SSN department? by the way today I received my card but I have not received any update about my wife's case. in the documents for SSN you mentioned filed application? what do you mean by this? do we need to file any application for SSN? I hope you can answer me by tonight because I have to go there tomorrow.

Thanks brother

I live in Orange County do you know the address of the SSN department? by the way today I received my card but I have not received any update about my wife's case. in the documents for SSN you mentioned filed application? what do you mean by this? do we need to file any application for SSN? I hope you can answer me by tonight because I have to go there tomorrow.
Thanks brother
if you want to look for the address of SSN office in Orange County,
just go the SSN website and get to this page (social security office locator):
https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

then enter your zip code.

"filled" application mean you either download the application forms and filled it before you go to SSN office to save time,
or you can always get the form at SSN office and filled it there :)
Link to download application:
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Hello,

I plan to go to Social Security Office sometimes next week.
I want to kindly ask anybody here who had experience getting their social security card after EAD.

How Long Does It Take for your Social Security Card to arrive in the mail from the day you apply for it at Social Security Office?

If several people posted here, we could know the average days,
so please everybody, post your experience here.

Thanks.

there is no specific time to get it, I get it after 5 days while my cousin in 6 weeks.
anyway they will mention the estimated date for you when you apply for it.
good luck.

how ever according to me it takes 3 to 5 business days at max 10 days .. but if yoy have trouble in filling form visit SSN Simple

I’m going to assume OP has received it sometime in the approx 6 years since s/he posted the question.