Social Security Card change?

pb74

Registered Users (C)
When I got my social security card, there was this stamp on it: "Valid for work only with INS authorization".

Should I get the card replaced after getting my GC? What documents I need to do so (besides GC)?

same situation

my wife just got her gc approval letter

still waiting for gc

we decided to jump the gun and get a replacement card using the approval letter.

they gave her a big time hassle saying that it wasn't the proper documentation.

are there any other documents that you can use to show that you are approved?

bb_5555 said:
they gave her a big time hassle saying that it wasn't the proper documentation. are there any other documents that you can use to show that you are approved?

Which is to be expected. You need either the passport stamp, the immigrant visa (for CP cases) or the plastic card.

so basically on paper you may be considered pr

but not really until you get that card or stamp

then the solution is offer an additional form of evidence.

believe it or not I want to at least attempt to pursue this.

the stamp is ok but not many people are familiar with the stamp.

case in point my wife saw someone try to use his stamp to get a new ss card and was flatly refused.

they should mail out to you something that you can just take to the local ssa office and that would be your proof.

also gc can be forged and stamps can be copied. Those two agencies need to be more connected.

bb_5555 said:
then the solution is offer an additional form of evidence. believe it or not I want to at least attempt to pursue this.

You can try, but unfortunately I do not think you will get very far with this.

the stamp is ok but not many people are familiar with the stamp. case in point my wife saw someone try to use his stamp to get a new ss card and was flatly refused. they should mail out to you something that you can just take to the local ssa office and that would be your proof.

Well, the stamp is proof, and if the moron at the SSA office refused to accept it, it is reasonable to expect that they will not accept any other mailed "proof".

The SSA should accept the stamp; they accepted my and my wife's, with the proviso it'd take 8-12 weeks to get the new card since USCIS hadn't updated their records yet with our new status (one month after the interview and stamping). Since we both already had SSNs, we said fine because it didn't matter too much.

Getting the cards updated after stamping is a good idea, but if you already have an SSN there's no need to rush.

SS Card

I went to a local social security office to order a new card and the woman at the desk told me that she can not accept the card and I have to come back when I get the plastic card. I knew she had no clue what she was saying but did not want to argue with her so the following week I went to a different office with the stamp and this time she proccessed my request and I got the new ss card withing a week.

They said no need

I went to SSA with GC and they said I don't need a replacement card. Even if he tries to get it would still be saying "authorized to work" because there are only one type of cards for Non-citizens.

Is it true or I will have to make another trip?
Can anyone please provide some links where it SSA says that I should get a replacement card?

Thanks,
Tempo

temposerver said:
I went to SSA with GC and they said I don't need a replacement card. Even if he tries to get it would still be saying "authorized to work" because there are only one type of cards for Non-citizens. Is it true or I will have to make another trip?

My card is the same as a US citizen's. No mention of authorization required.

temposerver said:
I went to SSA with GC and they said I don't need a replacement card. Even if he tries to get it would still be saying "authorized to work" because there are only one type of cards for Non-citizens.

Is it true or I will have to make another trip?
Can anyone please provide some links where it SSA says that I should get a replacement card?

Thanks,
Tempo

"authorized to work" card is for nonimmigrant with work authorization.
GCers should have the same kind of card as citizens.

You either try to convince the SSA office of this or
go to another SSA office.

I tried to convince him. He is arguing showing application saying... as you are not citizen I cannot give you the SSN as citizen ..only other option is .... what we have now... and SSN along with PR card should make you eligible to do whatever you are authorized to do as PR.

I am not sure what to do other than going to other SSA as you suggested...

Any other info would be really appreciated.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Temp

Aibolit said:
You don't have to, but getting a new SS card will make your life easier.

Can you elaborate on the "make your life easier" part? How? As I cannot thinks of any reasons I have to get a new SS card. Maybe I am missing something... Thanks!

presario1626 said:
Can you elaborate on the "make your life easier" part? How? As I cannot thinks of any reasons I have to get a new SS card. Maybe I am missing something... Thanks!

One example:

If one day you lose your GC and the new GC has to arrive but during that
time, you have to get a new job, how can you prove your work eligibility
to your potential new employer? With a no-restriction SSN card and
a DL, you can do that.

See the document for I-9 form for details.

I would say its a bad example....
you could then also lose you ss card also on that same day...

you're talking of an exception...
you need to give an example of a regular type where you need to have ss card which says "balh blah"....

Also another thing.....the restrictive SS cards were issued only after 1994....before that all cards were non-restrictive...so
even though I have a GC ( no citizenship yet)..my SS card is like a citizens card....
So my point is employer cannot know only from a SS card if you are eligible to work or not..

sandeepM said:
Also another thing.....the restrictive SS cards were issued only after 1994....before that all cards were non-restrictive...
Not true. My SS card was issued in 1992 and it had the restriction.

may be I got the year wrong ..maybe sometime before 94, but basically my ss card was issued in 1991-august in florida, and is non-restrictive

sandeepM said:
Also another thing.....the restrictive SS cards were issued only after 1994....before that all cards were non-restrictive...so
even though I have a GC ( no citizenship yet)..my SS card is like a citizens card....
So my point is employer cannot know only from a SS card if you are eligible to work or not..

It does not matter. Laws says a no-restriction SSN card plus
a DL are valid documents to establish work eligibility for I-9
purpose and the employer has to acctept that. You of course
need to put down your A-number on the form I-9 but you do
have a A# as PR.

But the necessity of getting a new SSN card is not is very weak
indeed. The chance of having to use a new SSN card to get
work eligiubility established is indeed very very slim.

A lot of people do that because they see many others
do that and a lot of people do not do that because they
see many other do not do that.

Many also say that SSA benefits may be different
between citizens, PR, and nonimmigrants therefore
it is better off letting SSA know your new status
by applying for a new SSN card. But others
say the only factor that determine difference
is work credits you accumulated.

The following poll give you an idea of how many
people get a new SSN card or not dependiing
if their pre-GC card has resrection or not