Should I travel with Natz. Certificate along with US passport?

newbie001

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I got my US passport and is planning to travel outside US. While travelling, should I carry my Natrulization Certificate also? or Just US passport is enough.

Thanks in advance for your response,

Newbie001.

Hi all,

I got my US passport and is planning to travel outside US. While travelling, should I carry my Natrulization Certificate also? or Just US passport is enough.

Newbie001.

There's no need to carry the natz certificate when you travel. In fact, now that you have your passport, put your natz certificate in a safe place (safe deposit box, portable home safe, etc.) and leave it there. The only time you may need it again is if you happen to lose your passport and need to obtain a replacement.

I agree with Vorpal. Keep certificate in a safe place and travel with passport. If you don't have one already you might consider applying for a passport card as a backup so if you lose your passport you can use the passport card to apply for a new passport book.

Hi all,

Newbie001.

They say there are no stupid questions, this one is definitely an exception! :rolleyes:

They say there are no stupid questions, this one is definitely an exception! :rolleyes:

USER2345.... I disagree. Newbie is an American....she has rights to ask any question. And i have read some of your questions....and i also believe you have
the same rights also. (just messing with ya)

I know the question is kinda funny, but seriously there were instances when you could travel with only NATZ cert or US Birth Certificate (no more) .

Newbie... YOU are now an AMERICAN !!! Travel with your Passport only.

Your NATURALIZATION certificate is like a US birth Certificate. (STORE it in a very safe place - Water/Fire proof SAFE BOX made by SENTRY)
Make 2 copies of you NATURALIZATION CERT. and store it in the safe
Make 2 Colored Copies or more of your Passport (page 2 & 3 ) and store in your safe box. Give one copy to someone who may likely not travel with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you take your original I-20, H1B petition with full paperwork, approval notices, labor cert with application, I-130, I-485 app, green card application, and for good measure all paystubs you ever earned since entering the US. If it proves to be too cumbersome, carry images on a thumb drive. And better still, file I-999, approval to return without documentation :))

Seriously, this falls into the category of paranoia. Just take your passport!