Settlement Memorandum Sent

This is important

Originally posted by karns
We also can include incidents like this (LICENSE SUSPENSION if I-485/I-140 is pending)

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118145)

By now it is almost certain we will not get a settlement. The govt feels eventually they will able to "disappear" the backlog.

I might have to get aggressive. Let me give it some thought. I will update you all.

Another hardship I found out yesterday.
Most of the insurance companies will not underwrite a life insurance if you do not have a G.C. I was shopping around yesterday on selectquote.com and quotesmith.com and most of the offers had this condition :
"U.S. citizenship is not required for this rate class. If not a U.S. citizen, a permanent visa/green card is required as well as U.S. residency for the last 3 years. "
Now I cannot buy life insurance because INS is taking so much time to decide our cases ???:mad: :mad:

Re: This is important

Originally posted by operations
By now it is almost certain we will not get a settlement. The govt feels eventually they will able to "disappear" the backlog.

I might have to get aggressive. Let me give it some thought. I will update you all.

Dear Rajiv, I completely agree with you. Yesterday I posted to indicators supporting your thought pattern. One was that NSC virtually cleared the backlog in I-140 (EB1 and EB2 categories) and I-765. This has been indicated in their biweekly report posted on AILA.org.

Second, the USCIS’s cumulative (all service centers and all petitions) monthly report posted on their site shows the backlog is coming down since December 2003. They probably are very clear of the risks involved with the lawsuit by now. Their attorney is buying time from you (since 12/22/03) one way or the other. If I am not mistaken USCIS would cite their backlog reduction performance in this quarter when the lawsuit goes to the court. So you are right, we got to be aggressive now.

Originally posted by gambler
Another hardship I found out yesterday.
Most of the insurance companies will not underwrite a life insurance if you do not have a G.C. I was shopping around yesterday on selectquote.com and quotesmith.com and most of the offers had this condition :
"U.S. citizenship is not required for this rate class. If not a U.S. citizen, a permanent visa/green card is required as well as U.S. residency for the last 3 years. "
Now I cannot buy life insurance because INS is taking so much time to decide our cases ???:mad: :mad:

That is another good point gambler. Beyond Life Insurance, you have brokerage accounts, a lot of financial investments and can you believe it?
You cannot even open a YAHOO Direct account, which is simply a transfer of money from your bank account.....you need to be at least permanent resident! the same with several credit cards, like DISCOVERY..................

NPR's coverage on USCIS green card backlog

Today, 3/18/04 at 6:44 AM CST, National Public Radio (NPR) ran a story on chronic backlog at USCIS and how it is affecting people lives. The story was covered by NPR’s award winning Washington correspondent Jennifer Ludden who covers Department of Justice, immigration and immigrant issues:

http://www.npr.org/about/people/bios/jludden.html

The story though did not cover the plight of EB based applicants (it covered one case about violence against women type green card) but needs to be commended for bringing forward the issue of backlog in the media. It tells how the lives of green card aspirants have been put on hold because of the delays. It talked about the need of every year renewable EAD’s for work, applicant’s inability to travel outside the US, mismanagement at USCIS, fee increase, and of course ever increasing backlog. The lady being covered in the story had ailing father in Caribbean. I think this story would be available on NPR’s audio archives by the end of the day. Visit their site and search for the story later in the day.

I would suggest that we should individually thank Jennifer by sending an email to the morning edition (the program which aired her story) morning@npr.org (I could not find her email address). When you write to her, please mention all/some of the hardships that are being faced by EB Green Card petitioners and especially the I-485 lawsuit. However, please be brief in your emails.

Please keep posted any response from the NPR. Once again many-many thanks Jennifer and NPR's morning edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: NPR's coverage on USCIS green card backlog

Just sent an email to thank her. I also mentioned the story of Aram whose husband passed away while waiting for GC.

Originally posted by jat
Today, 3/18/04 at 6:44 AM CST, National Public Radio (NPR) ran a story on chronic backlog at USCIS and how it is affecting people lives. The story was covered by NPR’s award winning Washington correspondent Jennifer Ludden who covers Department of Justice, immigration and immigrant issues:

Re: Re: NPR's coverage on USCIS green card backlog

Originally posted by hidden_dragon
Just sent an email to thank her. I also mentioned the story of Aram whose husband passed away while waiting for GC.

Originally posted by jat

Can you please post the exact e-mail address??

Jennifer has been in the immigration news before (March 09).

The Department of Homeland Security establishes an office to help
immigrants integrate into U.S. culture by offering practical advice, as
well as programs aimed at promoting loyalty and civic action. The move
comes amid worries that America's large population of
Spanish-speaking immigrants could become an alienated, permanent
underclass. Hear NPR's Jennifer Ludden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Re: NPR's coverage on USCIS green card backlog

Originally posted by cinta
Can you please post the exact e-mail address?? Jennifer has been in the immigration news before (March 09). The Department of Homeland Security establishes an office to help immigrants integrate into U.S. culture by offering practical advice, as well as programs aimed at promoting loyalty and civic action. The move comes amid worries that America's large population of Spanish-speaking immigrants could become an alienated, permanent underclass. Hear NPR's Jennifer Ludden.

Cinta, I think NPR’s policy is not to give out individual correspondent’s email address. However, I would email to the Morning Edition (the program that ran her story) at

morning@npr.org

I agree with you that she has been in immigration news in the past as well but this story is the one that is the closest to our cause i.e. backlog reduction. So please do request her to run a story on compounded effects on EB based green card petitioners due to a) duration of the process and b) restrictions on job requirement

Re: Re: Re: Re: NPR's coverage on USCIS green card backlog

I sent the email to morning@npr.org and ask them to forward the message to Jeniffer Ludden. I can only find emails for each NPR program on their website. You can try to ask her to reply.

Originally posted by jat
Cinta, I think NPR’s policy is not to give out individual correspondent’s email address. However, I would email to the Morning Edition (the program that ran her story) at

morning@npr.org

I agree with you that she has been in immigration news in the past as well but this story is the one that is the closest to our cause i.e. backlog reduction. So please do request her to run a story on compounded effects on EB based green card petitioners due to a) duration of the process and b) restrictions on job requirement

Re: NPR's coverage on USCIS green card backlog

Originally posted by jat

The story is NOW available in Audio on the following link:

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=1776053

Re: This is important

Originally posted by operations

Thanks Rajiv

Backlog reduction is a very positive action from USCIS. For all we know it might have been triggered by the latest immigration deposition USCIS had in front of the congress. They did acknowledge that security has been taken care off and now it is a battle to take care of backlog.
Whatever the reason we must appreciate these actions and should have encouraging words for USCIS.
Having said that keep working on our legal route too. Be agressive in the legal process but should not come out as some one who is spoiling for a fight. If we come out as some one who is spoiling for a fight we may end up playing into the hands of USCIS (if they have that plan in their mind) and may impact the judgement in a negative manner. It is like walking a tight rope. Am confident Rajiv and team have been through these experiences and have the skills to handle these chess game moves (if they are so).

they may achieve 6 months in 2006, but...

sep 2006 is still > 2years away. what of the people waiting for 2 years now. don't they deserve some interim relief. i hope the judge sees this and asks the uscis to provide some sort of interim relief like the walkin gc stamping idea. GOD BLESS!!!

Originally posted by Singhflying
Backlog reduction is a very positive action from USCIS. For all we know it might have been triggered by the latest immigration deposition USCIS had in front of the congress. They did acknowledge that security has been taken care off and now it is a battle to take care of backlog.
Whatever the reason we must appreciate these actions and should have encouraging words for USCIS.
Having said that keep working on our legal route too. Be agressive in the legal process but should not come out as some one who is spoiling for a fight. If we come out as some one who is spoiling for a fight we may end up playing into the hands of USCIS (if they have that plan in their mind) and may impact the judgement in a negative manner. It is like walking a tight rope. Am confident Rajiv and team have been through these experiences and have the skills to handle these chess game moves (if they are so).

As of today, USCIS failed miserably to face and even acknowledge the Backlog problem. They are also still running unnecessary Security checks on all applications, even the ones that refer to no admission........Can follow my threads for references
The only way is an aggressive approach.

Cinta, I never mentioned not to take an agressive approach. We can be assertive and have to be assertive and balanced for the judge to look as some one who is not biased. USCIS has done what it has and the same can be put forth in form of data. All I am saying is that there is no point in alienating those who are going to decide by making us look unreasonable. We need to put emotions aside and put facts and figures.
As they say that you cannot beat an Idiot . An Idiot First brings you down to his/her level and then beats you at experience. We do not want to go down to their level and then get defeated ;-)

Backlog reduction is a very positive action from USCIS. ....

You mean "TALKING" Backlog reduction....since I haven't seen any action showing they are seriously reducing the backlog. Putting few more people working on cases won't solve the problem. They have to change the procedure, have to change the way they have been working on 485.

Cinta, I never mentioned not to take an agressive approach. We can be assertive and have to be assertive and balanced for the judge to look as some one who is not biased. USCIS has done what it has and the same can be put forth in form of data. All I am saying is that there is no point in alienating those who are going to decide by making us look unreasonable. We need to put emotions aside and put facts and figures.
As they say that you cannot beat an Idiot . An Idiot First brings you down to his/her level and then beats you at experience. We do not want to go down to their level and then get defeated ;-)

No, we need not be even assertive in pursuing justice. What we need is for ourselves (the majority at least)to change attitudes and work together for the common goal. In other words, to WAKE UP (not necessarily yourself)!