Serious And Unsual Green Card Asked To Surrender By Ado

that doesn't make sense, since earlier you said:
1. Application date April 15th 2005....
He says i need to surrender my green card as my actual approval date is August 1st

assuming that that's August 1, 2007, that clearly makes your residency unconditional. You would have had to be married before April 15, 2005. April 2005 through April 2007 would make it two years of marriage.

According to what i was explained unconditional green card is if you are married for more than 2years on the day of interview. But if your interview happened before your 2nd wedding anniversary but due to some reason like name check, fbi clearance ur case is not approved it still is consider conditional for 2 years from the date of actual approval.

So i am guessing this is some new trick that is being played where interview happens right away as you apply but then they make u wait under the pretext that something else is pending. INS wants to look efficient and blame it on some other department.....:rolleyes:

But again District director has the right to grant it early and i was told that i can file my I-751 by May 22nd 2008.

According to what i was explained unconditional green card is if you are married for more than 2years on the day of interview.
no, it's two years of marriage on the APPROVAL date.

It's Nov 14th today and guess what my green card has not yet arrived.
I travelled out of the country came back and no issues except it took forever to explain the airlines folks what the stamp on my passport is all about.
They said they have never seen a stamp like that. But once i landed in US it was all fine. Had to wait a little longer than usual as the officer was checking things out.

I did call the officer and he said i should get my card soon.
Now as usual i don't trust these people at USCIS and so when should i file my I 751. My original card that was taken away expires on Feb 14th 2008. The stamp that is on my passport expires on August 21st 2008.

I called Immigration on 1-800--number and they had me talk to some officer and she mentioned i need to wait for my card to get the new expire date and then file 90 days before the expire days. I asked her what if my card does not come. Then she mentioned i hace to file 90 days prior to the expire date on my passport.
I am not sure what to do...

What happens if i file my I-751 in Feb 2008 before the original expire date. Will they return my application if its too early?? do they cash the check and not give a refund??? or anyone has any clue?

I have spoken to few attorneys and they all are useless so i need to get this resolved on my own.

:eek:
All,
I am back with more posts on my unusual situation.

I have still not received my new Green card. I have spoken to the ADO at NY district office who has been handling my case and as of last week he said he has updated my file and sent it back to VSC for green card production in August right after he asked me to surrender the original card.

Now VSC or the immigration system has no update or details on this entire situation. They do not see any I-90 application in my case.(yes that was the form that the immigration officer made me sign when i surrendered the card).

Adding more confusion i had taken a couple of info pass appointment to get to the bottom of this issue. I learnt conflicting info from IO's. First some IO's say i need to file my I-751 based on the expire date on stamp that is in my passport. Others say i need to file as per my original expire date on the card that i surrendered.

According to some IO's system shows my status is conditional and expires on Feb 15, 2008. there is no info about any error in my case.

So i asked the congressman to look into the issue.
They got more confusing details and iwill summarize this at the end of the post.

So as of now i have filed my I-751 on Jan 3rd 2008 and am waiting to see what happens next.

What the congressman's office found out:
There are a total of 37 different databases that immigration maintains. and information is different in a lot of them for my case. Based on that......
1. On the day of my initial interview Feb 15, 2006 my finger prints results had not been completed so technically i should not have been approved.
2. But i got approved and my passport was stamped for temporary I-551. At this point my name check was not even requested to FBI :confused:
3. Now finger prints results came back in June so I-130 and I-485 got approved and i was sent the NOA in June 2006. Name check still not requested to FBI :eek:
4. My green card was mailed to me in last week of June 2006. Now name check is requested to FBI after i get my green card.....:confused:
5. In July 2007 ADO finds he goofed up so they call me to NY district office to make the necesssary corrections.
6. New finger prints taken...Name check is still not cleared at this point. But i get a new stamp on my passport after i surrender my green card valid till august 2008..:confused: This is when i filled i-90 for replacement card.
7. I am waiting for my new card which was supposed to arrive in 1 month... i don't receive it so now i start followups.
8. No luck...then according to congressman's office Name check shows cleared in Nov 2007...:D
9. This technically should trigger a 10 year card and i do not need to file I-751..but nopes things get more confusing.
10. I go for info pass and speak with IO. They say my passport has stamp expiring in Aug 08...system shows my Conditonal status expires in Feb 08. And there is no record of me surrending my card and filing i-90....:eek:
11. I ask what should i do no one is able to repond..then the congressman's office suggest to file I-751 as this is all a mess and i should make sure i go by the system even though its not what i have to do.
12. So now i have filed I-751...have filed a 2nd I-90 and have done an inquire on my first I-90...trying to cover my self from all sides...
13....will update more as it unfolds.....

Bunny,

Send the truth bugs to USCIS office in NY...:eek: It seems as if USCIS is having too much fun at your expense and it is high time they stop screwing with you....:rolleyes:

Make an info pass and demand to speak to the Director of NY Office, and seek a resolution to this matter as soon as possible, because you don't want to be torched alive by their incompetency, they have already done enough damage to your liver...:D

Good luck...bunny...bugs...lol..

BunnyBugs God bless you...I would have strangled someone by now..I hope it all works out for you..God bless!!

As of Jan 11 2008...
My I-751 is delivered to VSC now waiting for the check to get cashed.
I-751 delivered 1/7/08

My I-90 is delivered to MSC as of Dec 27 2007
My form and letter to Ombudsman delivered by Dec 28 2007
My letter of inquiry with the specific form delivered to VSC delivered by Dec 28 2007

Received a written communication from Congressman's office about go ahead and file I-751 so that it would help trigger events and hopefully this will start the chain reaction to get things straightened up in the database. Congressman's office clearly stated they are not happy with the response they have received from immigrations and once i get my I-751 NOA need to forward a copy to them so they will start working on getting things resolved.

InfoPass appointment for Jan 18 2008 where i am gonna go and behave as if i have no clue of anything and ask for my green card. If they say they have no record this i am going to ask them to check with the IO who is in the same building and give them his phone number. This way now i am gonna have them deal with their own peers.
Lets see if anything happens.....

This is crazy but now a days whenever i am bored or have nothing to do during the day i call up customer service and then basically ask them about my green card and get transferred to immigration officer. (I could be going nuts:)

But today the officer i spoke with on the phone seemed nice..infact she gave me much more details similar to what the congressman's office gave then i have received so far from other officers....

My I-751 has been received by VSC and i got a receipt number (EAC??). But my check has not been cased yet nor have i received any official NOA in mail. I think i should be getting two NOA's. One for extension for 1 year and the other for biometrics. The application was received on 1/8/08...so when should i get the NOA? i see people getting it withing 10 days or so.

Now i am thinking if i should go for info pass on 18th or push it by a week or two and wait to get the I-751 NOA and then go asking for my physical green card?

Last edited by a moderator:
heyy bunny bugs how do u get to speak to an immigration officer ..whats do you say when u call ....and do u keep trying until u get a nice one?

My situation is such that when i call the customer service rep transfers me directly to the immigration officer.

I call them everytime i get bored as my case is so messed up that it is not going anywhere for few years. I cannot even apply for citizenship till this mess is sorted out by USCIS. But i feel if u try multiple time you will definitely find one officer who is good and really gets work done.

I have been to Federal Plaza in NY so many times that now the security guys know be my name. I take info pass for almost twice a month and keep visting those guys to make sure they are aware that its a mess done by uscis and not me. I work 2 blocks from fedral plaza so its not a biggy. Go in lunch hour.

Bootneyf from what you have in your time line it seems your interview is done but have not been approved or received any stamp on your passport. Correct?

What i would do is call the customer service guys and select the option of green card not received and then when u get to talk to them just say u have not received your green card. They will ask you questions and just say u have been approved as u have a stamp on ur passport and its been more than a year you are waiting for your card. They will transfer you to immigration officer.

Trust me the officers do not know what you spoke or told the rep. So when you get to the officer say this: "i had my interview on XXX and the officer said i would be receiving my card in 30 days. But till today i have not received the card or any welcome notice so i was calling to check as to what happened to my case. I asked the officer for a stamp after the interview but he said the card will come within 30 days so there is no need of a stamp" See thsi will do wonders for you. But you will have to try this trick a few times till u get an officer who really does the work and you will know who is good or lazy and make the judgement.

bunny Bugs You are the Best..I luv tHAT IDEA U GAVE ME AND I AM GOING TO TRY IT..Actually I am the type of person that usally calls and trys to speak to diiferent people to see if i will get a different response...but i didnt know that i could do it the way you said becasue i thought the REPS always told the immigration officer what you tell them....Thanks for the Tip...You are the best..I will definatly update you to see if i get any answers!!!!

One more thing in case people don't know it..when u take info pass appointment you don't have to go to the office which shows up when u put your home ZIP.

I work next to federal plaza in NY and live in NJ so whenever i go for info pass i put in my work ZIP so it shows up federal plaza which is more convinent and i make the appointment there.
When i go for info pass they ask my home zip and i give them the one for NJ which is the actual one and they don't have any issues.

I see a lot of folks who come there do it the same way i do.

Bunny Bugsss I did exactly what you told me and it worked!!!!!! i was put on hold for 40 mins to speak to an immigration officer and finally after 40 min this guys picks up and I say exactly what you told me and he said that they are working on my greencard and i asked him what does that mean and he says that he sees that my case has been approved and I said are u sure it says my case is approved and he said yes i am looking into the computer and your case has been approved and that i should.. receive something in the mail soon...I dotn wnat to get my hopes up but does that guy really have access to all that info? Is speaking to an immigration officer over the phone the same as speaking to an immigration officer when at infopass.