September 2009 n-400 fillers

Received e-mail on 11/13 at 4.00 am saying case transferred to local DO.

Who sends the interview letter? Local DO? when should I see YL and IL?

Thanks,

qazxsw

09/28/2009: Priority date
09/28/2009: Check cashed
10/06/2009:Status Changed to RFE (FP Notice)
10/07/2009: FP notice date
10/14/2009: FP notice received
10/16/2009: FP Done (walk in)
11/14/2009: Received e-mail 'Case trasferred to local DO'
**/**/***: Interview Notice date
**/**/***: Interview Notice received
**/**/***: Yellow Notice received
**/**/***: Interview date
**/**/***: Oath completed

NBC puts the case in the queue and sends the IL/YL but definitely the DO schedules the interview.

It is good that you have notice and receipt dates for the IL in your signature.
In many cases they are close, but in my case they were 3 weeks apart!

Thanks TheFree,

It measn that the NBC already have the interview date from the local DO for my case and when NBC send out IL, they will put that date.

Is that correct?

Thanks TheFree,

It measn that the NBC already have the interview date from the local DO for my case and when NBC send out IL, they will put that date.

Is that correct?

I think when the NBC puts in the queue the set of applications pertaining to a specific DO, it receives from the DO the pool of available dates and times (schedules). And then, it will prepare the IL for each application and sends it.

Interview scheduled for 21st Dec

I received the Interview letter couple of weeks. Applied Mid-Sept

Interview letter received on 10th Nov - but the interview is alost 45 days later. That too, just before Christmas.

Anybody with Interview dates post December 20?

Interview letter received on 10th Nov - but the interview is alost 45 days later. That too, just before Christmas.

IO must be in a good mood right before Christmas :D. So good for you.

Thanks.
That is true - I too thought about it.
LA office is very slow and I am seeing people not getting Oath letters even after a month - after passing the interview :rolleyes:

I mailed my application September 22 and I received no updates in my case profile since October 1. I had my FP done one month ago. DO is Hartford, CT.

Should I contact USCIS customer service or should I still give it some time?

Thanks!

Interview passed - prep and experience

Interview passed

Experience:

Thank you, forum! Lot of advice was taken.
This forum helped me a lot.
Initially I read up lot of archives and gathered basic information. Asked some basic questions.
Then, I used to read the forum almost everyday, everyday I would think that there is nothing much to learn new, but something new always showed up!

Preparation:

Collected all documents as per the sticky in this forum.

Prepared myself and wife for special situations that applied to me and her. Like practice what answers we would give to some questions that may show up like: (Mostly based on experiences from the forum)
Did you ever register to vote? Answer: No.(My wife was 99.99999% sure that she did not, but what if she made a mistake at while filling the application for DL at DMV?)
Are you sure? Answer Yes
But we see that you did? Explain that it was not the intention and did not vote anyway, etc.
Did you make any other trips than the ones written here? Yes, to Canada. But it was less than 24 hours.
Never volunteer un-necessary JUNK, like the lady who answered YES to the question "Did you ever claim yourself to be a US citizen" because she once told here friends that she was a US citizen!!!
If asked "Are you traveling during thanks giving", make sure the answer does not make your OATH date later!!! Say yes (if you are traveling), but make sure you convey that it is not a problem for the oath.
Get ready with some explanation for long travels, if any
If you drove 10 miles above speed limit, don't say YES to "Have you ever committed a crime and not been arrested"!!!
Special circumstance: We had answered No to the question: "Did you ever file tax as NonResident"? We had filed 540NR once, but 540NR is not just for NR, also for partial-resident. We had lived in CA for a month, spent rest of the year in Texas. We filed as partial. So we prepared like this:
Did you ever file as NR? No
Are you sure? (IO is trying to give you a clue that he may treat it as a lie): Explain your special circumstance
Basically, I am trying to say that it is better that you prepare for every small thing that may be special to your case.. Like above.
If the IO asks a question second time, he is trying to give you a clue that he doubts your first answer. I told my wife that if he is asking a question second time, it is for a reason - he will surely not try to confuse you by asking second time! He is trying to make sure that you are given a chance to correct your answer!
I have surely omitted some special circumstances that is very specific to my case, but I prepared for in detail. I will surely try to help others when questions come up similar to my circumstances. I would think one-two hours on these special circumstances and come up with an answer, surely drawing on answers from this forum.
Prepare to never tell a LIE.

Went through N400 once and revised the answers already given on the form

Went through study material of test multiple times. Read up the USCIS booklet, answering every question. Then played the CD in RANDOM on computer/car and answered the questions.

Checked out the Monterey road USCIS office in advance. Me and my wife had interview on same day with a big wait in between. Had a kid to take care of too. For anybody in the same situation, there is a big shopping complex nearby with a Target, restaurants, etc. I left my wife and kid in the car near the target - so they can use restrooms, have food etc. The USCIS office itself has no restrooms for people who do not enter through security. They have a snack bar outside. (But later I realized that room 219 allows children and family inside. In fact they have books to keep children occupied)

Actual interview

I reached 15 minutes before scheduled interview time. It was morning, and there was a big line to enter. Luckily the guard asked if there were anybody for oral interview and let us in faster. Advice: If you are going in the morning, go atleast 30 minutes before scheduled time. My wife was in the afternoon, and she had no outside line.

Security: No cell phones, they confiscated my stapler!

After security go through back of waiting hall to a security guard in the next room. This security guard will send you to room 219. Go to room 219, drop appointment letter at window 1 and wait.

I had a bunch of docs, but did not take out anything except GC, DL, letter and Passport.

I was called in pretty much scheduled time. The officer was a ordinary sort of guy you would meet in your neighbourhood LION. He did not even get me to do the oath. He went through the application quickly, asking a few questions here and there. Gave me the six questions, reading/writing test, and CONGRATS! Very friendly, common man (the officer).

Same for my wife. No special docs. They told her that oath will be in three weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO: San Jose

My Status:
09/03/09 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
09/04/09 : N-400 recieved
09/11/09 : Check Cashed
09/14/09: NOA Received (RD=09/04/09, PD=09/04/09, ND=09/10/09)
09/24/09: RFE (probably for FP) email received @ 2:00AM. Email says ND=09/22/09
09/28/09 : FP Notice Received
??/??/?? : Walkin FP NOT done
10/13/09 : FP Date
10/20/09 : Email received - This case has been sent for a standard interview
??/??/?? : Yellow letter NOT received
10/24/09 : Interview Letter Received
11/20/09 : Interview Date (passed)
??/??/?? : oath letter mailed
??/??/?? : Oath Letter recieved
??/??/?? : Oath Date

My Spouse's Status:
09/03/09 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
09/04/09 : N-400 recieved
09/11/09 : Check Cashed
09/14/09: NOA Received (RD=09/04/09, PD=09/04/09, ND=09/10/09)
09/24/09: RFE (probably for FP) email received @ 2:00AM. Email says ND=09/22/09
09/28/09 : FP Notice Received
??/??/?? : Walkin FP NOT done
10/13/09 : FP Date
10/20/09 : Email received - This case has been sent for a standard interview
10/23/09 : Yellow letter received for DL
10/24/09 : Interview Letter Received
11/20/09 : Interview Date (passed)
??/??/?? : oath letter mailed
??/??/?? : Oath Letter recieved
??/??/?? : Oath Date

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my IL......yesterday.......I am happy ......but it is 5 days before my 5 years...............NYC (26 federal Plaza) is moving.

My Timeline:

DO: NYC
LPR: 12/12/2004

09/12/2009: N400 sent
09/14/2009: N400 Received + Priority date
09/21/2009: NOA received + Check cleared
10/02/2009: FP Done
11/07/2009: Sent for Standard Interview
11/21/2009: IL received (No YL received)
12/07/2009: ID at 26 Federal Plaza

I am wondering why I didn't receive a YL if I have a DUI on record, it happened on 06/22/3001. I have a question for the experts: I sent the original police record and court disposition, Should I bring another original documents? both documents may not be ready for the interview date, because they process it in 15 business days.

Well, good luck to those who are waiting for their IL letters.

oath

Updating my timeline: received my oath letter, now its count down to the oath ceremony day, A little below 2 million seconds to becoming a USC!! :D :D :D To the rest of you still waiting on USCIS at whatever level you are with your application, I wish you the very best and as much speedy processing you require.

Cheers!!!

Timeline:
09/20/2009 - N-400 Mailed
09/24/2009 - Notification/Priority Date
09/29/2009 - Notification Received
10/01/2009 - Finger Printing Notification Date
10/20/2009 - Finger Printing done as per scheduled date in Boston
11/12/2009 - Re Finger Printing done (do not know why the re-finger print)
11/26/2009 - Transferred to Local Office for an Interview
11/30/2009 - Recieved Interview Document Check list
12/29/2009 - Interview Date (self)
12/30/2009 - Interview Date (spouse)

It is started moving again as my spouse had to go for re-finger printing. It is great the USCIS is working on Thanksgiving holidays !! as I received an email today saying that both of our applications have been transferred to local office for an interview.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to USCIS !!! USCIS is wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received email saying

" Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. You will be sent a notice advising you of the date and time of your interview... "

Time received:- 11/26/2009 @ 2:45 AM

Is there still anybody out there who filed mid/end of September and without an email saying that the case was transferred to the local DO? I had my FP done six weeks ago and was advised by the FBI that the results were returned to USCIS the same day.

Should I still give them time or call customer relation?

Please advise. Thanks!

Is there still anybody out there who filed mid/end of September and without an email saying that the case was transferred to the local DO? I had my FP done six weeks ago and was advised by the FBI that the results were returned to USCIS the same day.

Please advise. Thanks!

Browse to the NY board to see what others are reporting.

Please advise. Thanks!

Should have "complained" earlier. My case has been transferred to local DO this morning.