Sent DHS Form 7001 to CIS Ombudsman for "CASE PROBLEM"...adviced by (Bobsmyth,armin78,baikal3)

masoom799

Registered Users (C)
Hello to Bobsmyth, baikal3, armin78 and other experts. Thanks a lot for your advices.
This is to give you updates that we already have sent DHS Form 7001 to CIS Ombudsman. Now lets see what happens in future. I am woderning how the system works at CIS Ombudsman. Is this agency much superior than different USCIS district offices ? The address in the form is like :

Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman
Department of Homeland Security
Attention: Case Problems
Mail Stop 1225
Washington, D.C. 20528-1225

So, the question in mind is that if, we are making complain about case problem to Homland security department then how they become genuine and serious enough to be strict against their own district office (Newark,NJ) ?

I hate to think negatively but if, nothing happen positively in next few weeks what are other options for us ?
PHP:

The Details of my wife's case :
HTML:
This is regarding my wife's N-400 case. Her time line :

(Newark, NJ state)
Mailed N400 : 07/17/09
Priority Date : 08/03/2009
FP Appointment Date : 08/23/2009
Walk-In FP date: 08/19/2009
Online status changed (Case transferred to local office for interview) : 09/07/2009

[ My wife got her GC in July 2004 through family based file] .Since then she visited her native country once in a year. No visit was more than 6 to 7 weeks long.

Now...4 months passed without any progress so, my wife took Info-pass appointment on : 01/08/2010

(The representative tried to find the details on the computer by entering N*........... number. She tried for few minutes and then told my wife just wait there and she went upstairs in that building. She came after 15 mins and replied my wife that she will hear from USCIS very soon. )

By the end of January,2010 we moved to Texas with 3 to 4 yrs stay plan (Because,I got admission in san antonio, Texas). We filled a form AR-11 (for change of address) in proper time limit.

In the first week of february,2010 my wife called to newark,NJ office for update. The representative told her that if, during Infopass appointment they replied you to wait then you should wait. So, not firm answer from them.

In the end of Feb,2010 she contacted one of her family friend who is immigration lawyer in NJ. He use to visit regularly to Newark field office for his client's cases. He has couple of known people inside that office. Through one of his known person we come to know very unusual fact that they have kind of two systems for files arrangement. In one system my wife's file was not at all showing but in their internal system he found out that the file is there but they haven;t put in interview schedule line because of some reason. Either they forget to put before 3-4 months or due to some unknown reason. That family friend lawyer told us that he will look into this matter through his couple of contacts but he also suggested that be ready for Re-application ( Thats so, annoying and frustrating ??!!). Whats the guarantee that they won't do this blunder again ? 

One of my friend applied almost 2 months after my wife's date and he got his citizendship in January,2010. So, I think if, we sit at home by doing noting then they won't reply for next 25 yrs also. Because they got their $ 600 + .
[/HTML]

Dear all experts of this forum,
I have few questions in my mind after sending Form-7001 to CIS Ombudsman.
[1] How much time this agency normally take to inquire about my wife’s file ? [On internet through other source I come to know that within 45 days one can hear from CIS Ombudsman. Is this true or its variable according to case complexity ?
[2] If, nothing will happen in next 45 days what are the options left for us ? Do we have to reapply from start.( A new N-400 application with $ 650 !)
[3] If, we have to go for new N-400 application since, we moved to texas in late January,2010 when my wife will be eligible to apply ( As she has to prove her residency status in new place…may be 90 days…I am not sure). So, which will be the appropriate date for re-application ?
I am on F1 visa since Mid-2008 and my visa will be valid till May 2013 ( My graduate study will be finished in 2013 also). We married in Feb,2009 in NJ. Because my wife married to F1 status holder, USCIS is not looking favorably towards her case for naturalization. Is there any possibility of such reason?

Yes, you should expect to hear back from Ombudsman's office within 2 months. You must wait for the decision on you existing case first (or withdraw it) and have the required 90 day district residency before you can reapply.

Just keep in mind the fact that you moved during the process to another jurisdiction will cause an additional delay of up to 3 months in processing. The likely reason behind the delays is the transfer of your file from one DO to another.

Dear all experts of this forum,
I have few questions in my mind after sending Form-7001 to CIS Ombudsman.
[1] How much time this agency normally take to inquire about my wife’s file ? [On internet through other source I come to know that within 45 days one can hear from CIS Ombudsman. Is this true or its variable according to case complexity ?
[2] If, nothing will happen in next 45 days what are the options left for us ? Do we have to reapply from start.( A new N-400 application with $ 650 !)
[3] If, we have to go for new N-400 application since, we moved to texas in late January,2010 when my wife will be eligible to apply ( As she has to prove her residency status in new place…may be 90 days…I am not sure). So, which will be the appropriate date for re-application ?
I am on F1 visa since Mid-2008 and my visa will be valid till May 2013 ( My graduate study will be finished in 2013 also). We married in Feb,2009 in NJ. Because my wife married to F1 status holder, USCIS is not looking favorably towards her case for naturalization. Is there any possibility of such reason?

I once or twice contacted them. they are very nice, and respond quickly. In my case, they responded in week. however, what they can do is very limited. They will write back to you and tell you that they wrote to the uscis and that you will hear from them.

We are still waiting for any response from CIS Ombudsman. My wife is planning to make a short trip to NJ to meet her parents somewhere in late April,2010. Do you advice to take Infopass during that time so she try once again to get some answer personally. ( I am damm sure the chances of getting some definite answer are very slim). But as she will be going to NJ all the way so, she can combine her trip to Newark,NJ office.
In future if we don't get any replies from anywhere then Could you please let me know What is the exact procedure for N-400 file withdrawal ? [ Do we have to fill out specific form ?] ( I think Newark,NJ office will reply promptly if any candidate plan to withdraw their file...as they will be relieved from one pending case without giving back any refund...Such a great proffit making business.:p

Why do you want to withdrawal your case ??? some case takes longer than usual. first wait and see what ombudsman office tell you. also if you mane an info-pass, try to see if you can talk to one the supervisor there.

I will be highly obliged if all the experts of this forum will wright their views for our matter...

We are not at all inclined to withdraw the file. But, on the other hand we have to think one time limit for waiting. If, till April end, there will be no reply from Ombudsman and also during my wife's 2nd. Info-pass appointment in late april the USCIS representative won't reply satisfactorily then to whom we should rely on ? My wife explained me her first Info-pass appointment details and according to her during the Info-pass appointment they are in so hurry to finish the waiting people in line that hardly 1 minute time every one gets. I hate to mention one fact here that the staff in Newark, NJ office have majority from one specific community people ( I hope you people understand what i mean to say and to whom i am talking about. I even felt such attitude in one of the university in that area where i studied my masters course . Specifically administrative staff.[ UMDNJ, Newark campus ]. They are not so polite and have some kind of attitude.
Well, if, my wife will be lucky enough during her next info-pass appointment then she will have opportunity to talk with supervisor. Is there any way that one can wright a letter or send letter through fax directly to the director or head of the Newark, Nj office ? If yes could you guys please tell me the name of the director and postal address and/or fax number so i can convey our matter just before my wife's second Info-pass appointment !!
In our life lots of things are awaiting just because of her pending naturalization process. I am on F1 status. I finished one course and now I am in other health related residency course which will last till 2013. I have valid visa till 2013. But the problems for both of us are like I can not work, I don’t have SSN, There are very limited options for loans, tuition fees are high as I am an international candidate right now etc. One of the biggest concern for me is like if, I would like to visit my home country then I have a fear that while returning to US at the port of entry they may give hard time to me and may not allow to enter also on the bases of:
(1) They may ask why I married to Green card holder ? ( I met my wife after spending first 3-4 months in US and we were in touch for next 3 months and we decided to get married).
(2) In my wife’s N-400 form she gave details of mine like common address, date of marriage, my visa status and all so I think as soon as they swipe my passport at port of entry they will have my details. But throughout last 2 years I maintained legal status and will maintain that in future also. So, do you think with valid F1 status they still think I am intending immigrant ?
 I desperately want to visit my home country and meet my parents. I think in current situation there is no guarrentee that there is no issue for me at port of entry but if, my wife will become US citizen and she will file AOS for me and along with application if, we fill out form I-131(Advance Parole) , I think after getting AP atleast there is guarrentee that there will be no issue for me at port of entry.
 [ I will be highly obliged if all the experts of this forum will wright their views ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello ! to the experts of this forum. I am anxiously waiting for you people's views.
Please, send your comments. I am sure that your comments and views will real help me and my wife in current difficult situation.
Thanking you in advance.

Hello ! to the experts of this forum. I am anxiously waiting for you people's views.
Please, send your comments. I am sure that your comments and views will real help me and my wife in current difficult situation.
Thanking you in advance.

You have filed your complaint to Ombudsman around March/20th. You have give him time to react.At least till middle May. Meanwhile my suggestion to see whether your case is transferred to TX . By April end your spouse would have completed 90 days period. I think it will be better to take your case to TX. You should talk to 1-800 number

Thanks "madh4" for your advice.
How do we know that whether the Newark,Nj office have transffered my wife's case to San Antonio,TX office or still they kept that file currently ?? Is there any automatic system of file transfer from one office to other once they come to know about address change through form AR-11 ?
Which is the best option: [1] Wait for Ombudsman inquiry and responce [2] request to transfer file from Newark,NJ to San Antonio,Tx.

{Why Bobsmyth,armin78,baikal3 & other experts are so silent and not commenting for my new concerns ? I sincerely apologize if, you people feel i am asking unnecessary questions. But me and my wife are going through real tough time right now so, your comments really give us true hope that we still have chance to get success. so, please spend your valuable time and give us more hope.}

Which is the best option: [1] Wait for Ombudsman inquiry and responce [2] request to transfer file from Newark,NJ to San Antonio,Tx.
It could be that your case is still in New Jersey, or at NBC waiting to be transferred to San Antonio. Have you recently called USCIS and request to be transferred to an IO for a case status update?

Thanks Bobsmyth. We will definitely call USCIS and try to find out updates. My wife will request to the representative to transfer the call to IO.
Could you please tell me the phone number of Ombudsman office ? So, we can call and ask whats going on from their side also.

Thanks Bobsmyth. We will definitely call USCIS and try to find out updates. My wife will request to the representative to transfer the call to IO.
Could you please tell me the phone number of Ombudsman office ? So, we can call and ask whats going on from their side also.

The Ombudsman's office tel is 202-357-8100.
Their email is cisombudsman@dhs.gov

So far here is our update. We received the Ombudsman's response to the 7001 form early this month, it was a letter saying they were opening a formal investigation with USCIS and they provided us with a case number and to contact them if we had not heard anything after 45 days. I'm curious if these guys can actually help and if so how long does it take.

Heartiest thanks to Bobsmyth for phone number and e:mail.
I also would like to convey my gratitude to guinness301 for sharing his update regarding Ombudsman response.

Thanks "armin78" for your reply. My wife had Info-pass appointment in first week of January,2010. But the representative gave superficial information and told my wife that she should wait. There was no talk with any supervisor. The representative was in rush to to finish waiting people in line. Now in April end my wife is planning short trip to NJ so, she will try to ask for talk with supervisor. I have very faint hope that those representative are so kind enough to allow everyone to meet the supervisor.

Just before few minutes my wife called to USCIS 1-800-****** number and she asked about update of her file. She also asked that whether her file transferred to San antonio,TX from NJ, Newark as she notified USCIS about change of address in late januray,2010. She was surprised by representative's reply that in their data her NJ address is still showing and there is no update about San Antonio address. My wife told the representative that we got confirmation letter from USCIS about address change. Then The representative replied you have to take Info-Pass for any further information.
My wife also tried to call CIS Ombudsman office at washington DC [Ph: 202-357-8100]. But no one is available on phone and the voice message was like..."Kindly leave your messsage and phone number so someone can reach you soon".
Now, The questions for us are:
[1] During Info-pass appointment at NJ,Newark on 04/30/2010, How my wife should represent her questions and concerns ?
[2] If, the representative won't allow her to talk with senior IO or supervisor what's the other option. because its really tough for her to go NJ from texas frequently just for Info-pass appointments in future.
As there is no guarentee of success and process time limit through Ombudsman help, Should my wife plan withdrawal option at the end of her info-pass appointment and re-apply from san antonio,texas in first week of May ?
At least small confirmation from Ombdsman department to us like they are woring for our problem keep us hopefull to wait.

hey.. Bobsmyth, armin78 ..I hope you people uderstand the gravity of our situation and advice us promptly.

Thanks "armin78" for your reply. My wife had Info-pass appointment in first week of January,2010. But the representative gave superficial information and told my wife that she should wait. There was no talk with any supervisor. The representative was in rush to to finish waiting people in line. Now in April end my wife is planning short trip to NJ so, she will try to ask for talk with supervisor. I have very faint hope that those representative are so kind enough to allow everyone to meet the supervisor.

You were supposed to change your address in the pending N-400 to new address. This is apart from filling of form AR-11. Please refer to A Guide to Naturalization M-476 page11 Q 17. There is no need to contact your old office. You should start contacting San Antonio Tx.

have you tried to make an info-pass in TX? if you changed your address with uscis, then your case falls under tx DO authority. Try to make an info-pass in TX and nicely try to explain your situation to the IO . do you or your wife have a TX drivers license ?