Selective Service Registration.... FAQ

You can apply for citizenship and failing to register for selective service is not a ground for deportation or imprisonment.

Others know better than me on this subject, but I believe you can prepare an affidavit stating that you were unaware of the requirement. You can also include a letter from selective service that you are too old to register.

I believe that you may have received your green card prior to the time when the govt started including the selective service reminders with green cards. That may help establish that you really did not know about the requirement. Hopefully someone else can let you know how to deal with it, but you will not go to jail or be deported.

I read on some other posts if I wait to apply for citizen ship after 31, the select service situation will be disregarded? Is this true?
Once you are 31, failure to register for Selective Service by itself is not grounds for denial of naturalization (but they can combine it with other evidence of bad moral character). So wait a year (or whatever number of months it takes to reach your 31st birthday) and you'll be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The truth of the matter is you were supposed to register as soon as you became 18 years of age and of course until the age of 26 years of age.

Now, if you carried a driver license at the age of 18 and between 26 years of age, you MUST have received a letter from the SSS (selective service system) telling you to register because the DMV is tied up to the SSS which automatically generates a letter to the address on file.

Anyway, you must prove to USCIS that it was not done on purpose because it has been only 4 years after being 26 years of age and if I remember well, the statue of limitations for USCIS is 5 years meaning outside the good moral character requirement.-

Selective Service Registration Compliance

Anyone required to register with Selective Service at any time must have done so in order to receive federal student aid. Generally, men between the ages of 18 through 25 are required to register with the Selective Service Systems. This requirement covers both U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and most other men residing in the U.S. Students may register with Selective Service by answering a question on the FAFSA or the student may register on-line at the Selective Service web site at: www.sss.gov. Students who have questions about the Selective Service registration requirement may contact the Selective Service at 1-847-688-6888.

Major exceptions to the registration requirement are included on the Statement of Registration Status. In addition to females or men who were born before 1960, there are certain other categories who are exempted from the registration requirement. These include:

males currently in the armed services and on active duty (does not apply to members of the Reserve and National Guard not on active duty);

males who are not yet 18 at the time they complete their FAFSA (an update is not required during the year, even if a student turns 18 after completing the application);

citizens of the Freely Associated States;

non-citizens who first entered the U.S. after they turned 26 (If a male immigrant can show proof that he first entered the U.S. when he was past registration age, he is clearly not required to register and no Selective Service Status Information Letter is needed. The student's entry documentation is sufficient to show whether he is exempt from the registration requirement.);

non-citizens who entered the U.S. as lawful non-immigrants on a valid visa and remained in the U.S. on the terms of that visa until after they turned 26.

These are certain less common situations where registration isn't necessary. If a student wasn't required to register prior to meeting one of the following criteria and continue to meet one of these for the entire time through age 25, they are exempted from the registration requirement. These are:

Students who are unable to register due to being hospitalized, incarcerated, or institutionalized.

Students who are enrolled in an officer procurement program at the Citadel, North Georgia College, Norwich University, or Virginia Military Institute.

Students who are commissioned officers of the Public Health Service on active duty and members of the Reserve of the Public Health Service.

Students who are commissioned officers of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

If one of these exceptional criteria applies to a student, the school must document the student's status. If the student is not clearly exempt from the requirement to register, the student must document the exemption by providing a Selective Service Status Information Letter.

Selective Service and Opportunity for Young Men

CONSEQUENCES FOR NOT REGISTERING
The maximum penalty for failing to register with Selective Service is a $250,000 fine and up to five years in prison. Failure to register will cause ineligibility for a number of federal and state benefits including:

FEDERAL JOBS
A man must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the Executive Branch of the Federal government and the U.S. Postal Service. This applies only to men born after December 31, 1959.

STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men who are not registered with Selective Service cannot obtain Federal student loans or grants. This includes Pell Grants, College Work-Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.

CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services -USCIS- (formerly known as INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship, if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday and was required to register.

FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
The Workforce Investment Act (formerly JTPA) offers important job-training opportunities. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service.

STATE JOBS, LOANS, AND TRAINING
Most states have added additional penalties for those who fail to register with Selective Service.

STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE LEGISLATION
As of May 16, 2002, 19 states, 2 territories, and the District of Columbia have enacted driver's license laws supporting Selective Service registration. They are Oklahoma, Delaware, Arkansas, Utah, Georgia, Hawaii, Alabama, Florida, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Ohio, South Dakota, Mississippi, Idaho, Virginia, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands.

I came to the US when I was 18 years old with student visa.

A situation I came across while going down the checklist for applying for US citizenship. I wasnt aware that I needed to sign up for selective service after I got my green card when I was 23. Well I am 30 now and it is too late to sign up for selective service. My questions is:

Can I apply for US citizenship? And what are my chances of approval?

Whats is the probability that the INS will deport for me for not signing up for selective service?

What is the probability that I will go to prison for not signing up, if I call selective service for the selective services letter needed for naturalization?

Will select services accept my excuse for not signing up? I truly did not know.

I read on some other posts if I wait to apply for citizen ship after 31, the select service situation will be disregarded? Is this true?

I am very worried any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

The truth of the matter is you were supposed to register as soon as you became 18 years of age and of course until the age of 26 years of age.
The OP had a student visa at 18. People with a valid nonimmigrant status are not required to register even if they are in the age range.

The OP had a student visa at 18. People with a valid nonimmigrant status are not required to register even if they are in the age range.

Hey jack,

Unfortunately that's not what happened to me. I was obliged to disclose my legal status back then and make copies of my passport and this is a long time ago with threatening letters from the SSS, that if I didn't they would send the army police to the house. I mean I had no idea what these people were talking about.-

Back then, I called it " forced registration".- I think I used the wrong term now.- :D

Hey jack,

Unfortunately that's not what happened to me. I was obliged to disclose my legal status back then and make copies of my passport and this is a long time ago with threatening letters from the SSS, that if I didn't they would send the army police to the house. I mean I had no idea what these people were talking about.-

Back then, I called it " forced registration".- I think I used the wrong term now.- :D

This is partially what happened to me as well. At 18, I also was on a student visa and started getting letters from SSS to register. I figured what the heck and went ahead and registered. Little did I know that I would become a PR later in life and that registration would have saved me - otherwise, I would have had no idea that I was required to register. So I guess SSS does have some type of a record on you when you reach 18. I believe I got letters even though I was on a student visa because I had a SS card. Could this be true?

Regarding Selective Service Registration

Hello,

I called selective service registration and got good surprise from them. As i thought i have not register for the SS because i was on non immigrant VISA for most of the time before 26 and i was approved PR just 9 days before my 26th birthday.

But when i called them, after checking my records, they said, i am registered for SS when i got my first driving licence on Student VISA. My registration information is tied to my DOB and licence not with my social security as at that time my SSN was unavailable. In short DMV registered me for SS.

Now in my N-400 form, i mentioned,i did not register. Can i change during my interview ? Would i be given opportunity at that time ?

Hello,

I called selective service registration and got good surprise from them. As i thought i have not register for the SS because i was on non immigrant VISA for most of the time before 26 and i was approved PR just 9 days before my 26th birthday.

But when i called them, after checking my records, they said, i am registered for SS when i got my first driving licence on Student VISA. My registration information is tied to my DOB and licence not with my social security as at that time my SSN was unavailable. In short DMV registered me for SS.

Now in my N-400 form, i mentioned,i did not register. Can i change during my interview ? Would i be given opportunity at that time ?

Yes, you should tell the officer that you actually registered.

Hey jack,

You may have had to expend some effort to prove your nonimmigrant status in order to get out of registering, but ultimately you still were not required to register when you were in nonimmigrant status.

Selective service question

Hi,

I didnt know I had to register for SS, but just realized it, im over 33 now. If I call SS office to make sure if im registered or not, can they charge me with a crime if im not registered?

I have almost the same question

I still don't know if I needed to register when I was between the ages of 18-26. I came to this country when I was 17 on an F1 (student visa), after I completed school, my visa was converted to H1 (work visa). I became a US Permanent Resident 6 days before my 27th birthday.

Now my question to all is - Did I need to register with Selective Service even though I was on an F1 and H1 visa between the ages of 18 and 26? Do I need to file for a "Request for Status Information Letter" with Selective Service?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am praying someone has an answer for us.

Now my question to all is - Did I need to register with Selective Service even though I was on an F1 and H1 visa between the ages of 18 and 26? Do I need to file for a "Request for Status Information Letter" with Selective Service? .....
No, you don't have to register if you maintained a valid nonimmigation status upto the age of 26.

On the N-400 the question Q.33 is ".....in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant". F1 and H1 are valid nonimmigrant status.

Merging threads

I am merging these threads since they seem to address the same topic. Please do a search before you start a new thread.

Listen, the best thing to do is to get a staus of information letter with SSS because this obscure agency is a Dpt. of Defense agency and their database info is not going to go away.- Example: for PELL or student loans, some jobs, etc...

Ok, this is what you should do: request status, it will take 4/6 weeks for their response. The worst case scenario, they will ask PROOF of immigration status between the ages of 18 and 26 years of age by sending them copies of your passport, or a certificate of attendance from your school.- :D

I still don't know if I needed to register when I was between the ages of 18-26. I came to this country when I was 17 on an F1 (student visa), after I completed school, my visa was converted to H1 (work visa). I became a US Permanent Resident 6 days before my 27th birthday.

Now my question to all is - Did I need to register with Selective Service even though I was on an F1 and H1 visa between the ages of 18 and 26? Do I need to file for a "Request for Status Information Letter" with Selective Service?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am praying someone has an answer for us.

Thank you

Thank you all for the information - I think that might be my best option, I think I will apply for Status Information Letter with the SSS

What is "Evidence of Selective Service Registration"

It is listed as one of the documents that I need to bring with for the interview. Any of you knows what that is...

Please help!

Tines - did you also get a white document checklist along with your interview letter? In there, it clearly states that if your were between 18 and 26 when you got your GC AND failed to register with Selective Service, then you need to get a status information letter explaining why you didn't register. If these conditions don't apply, then it doesn't apply to you. If you got your GC after you were 26 and were on valid non-immigrant visas (F1/H1) anytime during the time you were 18 and 26, it doesn't apply to you. I checked with multiple recent interviewees, they don't care, if they conditions don't apply to you.