Selective service and naturalization

bakersf

Registered Users (C)
I have a question about selective service question and naturalization. I am 36 years old and obtained my green card through asylum. I will apply for naturalization in June 2012 but i do not understand the question about selective service.I had no idea about this requirement until i applied for financial aid to go to college years ago, that was in 2004 when I was 29. I have a copy of SSS letter stating that I was required to register but did not. How do I answer that selective service question and should I submit a copy of my SSS letter with naturalization application? Any input would be highly appreciated.

I have a question about selective service question and naturalization. I am 36 years old and obtained my green card through asylum. I will apply for naturalization in June 2012 but i do not understand the question about selective service.I had no idea about this requirement until i applied for financial aid to go to college years ago, that was in 2004 when I was 29. I have a copy of SSS letter stating that I was required to register but did not. How do I answer that selective service question and should I submit a copy of my SSS letter with naturalization application? Any input would be highly appreciated.

WOW - you MUST enroll in Selective Service before you do Naturalization. If you dont have it, your application may get delay. So go and register ASAP for it at http://www.sss.gov/default.htm. Everyone who are above 18 yrs and below 26+ MUST apply for it when you got your asylum or permanent resident status. You can't submit a copy of your SSS Letter which you didn't registered yet. When you registered it, you will get your SSS number. Once you get SSS number then apply for naturalization.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW - you MUST enroll in Selective Service before you do Naturalization. If you dont have it, your application may get delay. So go and register ASAP for it at http://www.sss.gov/default.htm. Everyone who are above 18 yrs MUST apply for it. You can't submit a copy of your SSS Letter which you didn't registered yet. When you registered it, you will get your SSS number. Once you get SSS number then apply for naturalization.

If you were 26 years or older when you got your asylum or permanent resident status, you need not register. If you were in the US when you were under 26 years of age but were in a valid non immigrant status (student or H1 for example) you are not required to register.

How old were you when you
a) first entered US?
b) obtained asylum?
c) got your green card?

If you were 26 years or older when you got your asylum or permanent resident status, you need not register. If you were in the US when you were under 26 years of age but were in a valid non immigrant status (student or H1 for example) you are not required to register.

How old were you when you
a) first entered US?
b) obtained asylum?
c) got your green card?

Your answer is right.

Dates

I entered the US on student visa in 1992, I was 17 at that time. The visa was valid until 1997. I applied for asylum in 1997 and I was 22 at that time. Waited for 7 years to get asylum, my case was pending until i got granted asylum in 2004, I got granted when I was 29, applied for green card in 2005 and got green card in 2007. I was 32 when I got my green card. Now I am 36, will be 37 in June when i apply for citizenship. Should I then answer yes or no to that selective service question?

I entered the US on student visa in 1992, I was 17 at that time. The visa was valid until 1997. I applied for asylum in 1997 and I was 22 at that time. Waited for 7 years to get asylum, my case was pending until i got granted asylum in 2004, I got granted when I was 29, applied for green card in 2005 and got green card in 2007. I was 32 when I got my green card. Now I am 36, will be 37 in June when i apply for citizenship. Should I then answer yes or no to that selective service question?

You were 29 when you got granted for asylum, and got green card when you were 32. Then you don't need SSS at all then. Good luck for your application mate.

Were you out of status before you applied for asylum?

Were you out of status before you applied for asylum?[/QUOT

My student visa was valid through december 1997. and I applied for asylum on April 1997. I was doing an internship at that time, which was needed for my program in college. Should I answer yes or no to that selective service question? since my asylum case was denied first and then referred to an immigration judge so my case was pending from 1997 until 2004?

Were you out of status before you applied for asylum?[/QUOT

My student visa was valid through december 1997. and I applied for asylum on April 1997. I was doing an internship at that time, which was needed for my program in college. Should I answer yes or no to that selective service question? since my asylum case was denied first and then referred to an immigration judge so my case was pending from 1997 until 2004?

My reasoning is that since you were initially denied asylum, you would be considered out of status which would require you to register with Selective Services. I may be wrong.

You should have registered when you filed for asylum, did you receive EAD when your asylum application was pending?

So I will therefore answer no. I did not register for selective service. I was not aware of the registration requirement at all. I was never informed that I had to register. I have a letter stating that I did not register with selective service. Therefore I will answer no the selective service question because my student visa expired while my asylum case was pending and my case was then referred to an immigration judge. Should I submit the Selective registration letter with my naturalization application, or should I give the letter to the interviewing officer ?? I am now 36 years old , will this affect my naturalization eligibility???

You should have registered when you filed for asylum, did you receive EAD when your asylum application was pending?

After I got granted asylum in 2004, and when I was applying for financial aid for college, I was told that I did not register for selective service.I had no idea that i needed to register. So i requested a letter from SSS to verify my selective service status, and the letter stated that I was not registered. I received EAD when my asylum application was pending, but what does that have to do with selective service?

If you received EAD when your asylum application was pending then you should have registered because your status changed. Question 33 on the N400 says "Are you a male who lived in the united states at any time between your 18th and 26th birthday in any status except as a lawful non-immigrant? you were in a different status which i believe it is C08, you were benefiting from immigration during that time. You can seek legal advise from an experienced lawyer

Selective services is a big issue. I deal with that whenever I am applying for anything federal. I have lost federal job offer because of Selective Services. I came on a F-1 visa and out of status a couple of years later and in the College orientation they do not mention about Selective services because F-1 are not required to register. For that reason, I did not know about Selective Services and found out about it when I applied for Financial aid. According to Selective Services I should have registered when I became out of status as I no longer was in non-immigrant status.

Any male who was required to register for SS but did not and is 31 or older upon date of filing an N-400 did "fail to register" but the violation has become a moot point for naturalization because that violation is now outside the maximum 5-year statutory period. It has become irrelevant and immaterial. Do not lie about it or try to fake it or conceal it now, it is too late and your "current behavior" is what matters in determining your good moral character (GMC) for naturalization purposes.

The "current" "failure to disclose" any fact may be deemed a current LIE during naturalization in an attempt to obtain an immigration benefit. The current LIE about something that would make no difference now is the stupidest thing anyone can do and is fatal to the N-400.

A "current lie" begins a period of inability to demonstrate GMC for naturalization purposes. The clock starts ticking as of the date of the MOST RECENT irrelevant LIE and no new N-400 may be filed before the FULL period of debarment (not even one day too early) has passed. Such a debarred person who files an N-400 too soon will not be rejected by the lockbox, instead the Officer at your interview will likely either proceed to deny it or might offer the option to withdraw the N-400.

If anyone is ever in the position of having made the mistake of filing too early ahead of expiration of a temporary bar to filing and withdrawal is offered, accept that option rather than having a denial go in the record.

Selective Services for over 26 years old.

HI,

I am 30 years old now and I came to this county in Jan 2013 on a Green Card status. My cousin told me that I need to enroll for Selective Services as it is necessary for future citizens. I looked on the website www.sss.gov and it said that you need to be between 18 to 26 in order to enroll.
Now my question is, how do I do it? And, Do I Have To?
Please let me know.

Thanks.

HI,

I am 30 years old now and I came to this county in Jan 2013 on a Green Card status. My cousin told me that I need to enroll for Selective Services as it is necessary for future citizens. I looked on the website www.sss.gov and it said that you need to be between 18 to 26 in order to enroll.
Now my question is, how do I do it? And, Do I Have To?
Please let me know.

Thanks.

No, you do not.

By the way, this is an old thread.

On form I-485 there is a paragraph that if your application is approved USCIS will forward your information to Selective Service System.

In my case they didn't forward anything even though they approved I-485. So now I have to send copies of GC, I485 and letter with my information explaining what went wrong. I'm sending this to Palatine, IL.

Good job USCIS :(

edit: oh btw... I was 25 yr old when my AOS took place.