Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

Wow guys, you just opened my eyes on a very serious situation…… I suppose to be judged according to 8 cfr 319(a) (3 years statutory period), but instead they denied me according to 8 cfr 316(a) (5 years statutory period) :eek: i don't know why they did that :confused:

Do you think I have to visit the USCIS and tell them about their mistake? :confused:

Do you think they will allow me to discuss that issue with an immigration officer right away? :confused:

Can I walk-in without any appointment or interview to discuss the issue. :confused: Because I heard that if I decided to appeal it might take up to a year :mad:

Hi everyone. My wife's interview in Seattle went very well on November 18, 2008. She got there at 1000 as per the interview letter, waited about 15 minutes and then went in. The lady was very polite and spoke very slowly and clearly. My wife asked for the old test. The lady was looking through the paperwork while asking my wife the questions. My wife said she believes that the lady asked more than 10 questions but wasn't really keeping track. She got them all right so the lady just kept asking questions while she looked through the paperwork. She had to write and read one sentence. That was it. One thing that took my wife and I both by surprise that you all may want to know - the lady asked my wife for proof that she lived in Washington State. I would have thought that the interview letter mailed to our home with the address on it was enough, but apparently not. Luckily my wife has a WA driver's license, which was fine. That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Anyway, everything went quick and we were out of there in about 30 minutes total. Oath is 3 December, and then this long trip will finally be over with. Take care and good luck.

Hi everyone. My wife's interview in Seattle went very well on November 18, 2008. She got there at 1000 as per the interview letter, waited about 15 minutes and then went in. The lady was very polite and spoke very slowly and ... That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Anyway, everything went quick and we were out of there in about 30 minutes total. Oath is 3 December, and then this long trip will finally be over with. Take care and good luck.

Thanks for the update and congratulations!!!

How long should I wait for fingerprint notice?

--Rafiq

I'd guess your FP notice is arriving this coming week before Thanksgiving and scheduled for middle of December. Good luck.

Last year this time, people were scratching their head to project when they'll see their checks cashed for the applications submitted three months prior. What a big difference a year can make!

A few questions for those who have already completed the oath ceremony -
Besides the form that I was given to fill out, is there anything else I need to bring? Do we hand in just the form and our GC?
The time that I was given, is this the time the ceremony starts? What time should guests be there? Can they take pictures?
Is there someone there afterwards from a passport office and social security? In getting a passport does one have to send in the original of the naturalization certificate or can it be taken into a passport office?
Thanks for helping me out.

i am under which law 316 or 319

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I am under a 3 years statutory period (8CFR319.1) and not under 5 years period then look at what I just found within Section 8CF319.1 (7) and (8):

(7) For all relevant periods under this paragraph, has been and continues to be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and favorably disposed toward the good order and happiness of the United States; and

(8) Has complied with all other requirements for naturalization as provided in part 316 of this chapter, except for those contained in sec. 316.2 (a) (3) through (a) (5) of this chapter.

Does statement number 8 (above) means that I am also covered under a 5 years statutory period (part 316) and not only 3 years period (319.1)???? :confused:

No since 8 CFR 319.1(7) states:

"For all relevant periods under this paragraph.."

Relevant period in this sense means statutory period, which in your case is 3 years.

and 8 CFR 319.1(8) states:

"Has complied with all other requirements for naturalization as provided in part 316.."

The good moral character part of 316 reads: 8 CFR 316.10(a)

"Requirement of good moral character during the statutory period..."

Again, statutory period in your case is 3 years.

A few questions for those who have already completed the oath ceremony -
Besides the form that I was given to fill out, is there anything else I need to bring? Do we hand in just the form and our GC?
The time that I was given, is this the time the ceremony starts? What time should guests be there? Can they take pictures?
Is there someone there afterwards from a passport office and social security? In getting a passport does one have to send in the original of the naturalization certificate or can it be taken into a passport office?
Thanks for helping me out.

Get there about 15 min before the oath ceremony.
Go through the security area (you and your guests together).
All the guests need is drivers lincese.
You wait in the lobbby just past the security area.
There is funny guy there that makes sure you are in the right place.
After about 30 minutes (yes, 30 min after oath time on your paper), they ask you to line up.
They send all the guests to ceremony room (they sit in the back rows).
They make sure you have answered all the questions on the back of the oath letter. (answer NO to all the questions). If you answer Yes to any of them, they pull you out and you have to explain it.
Then one by one you go to the window.
show your oath letter and green card. They take both of them at the window.
then they check off your name on some list.
After that they take you to the Ceremony room.
You sit on a chair in one of the first 7 rows in the front.
Watch a video, slideshow, speech.
Take the oath with everyone facing US flag.
Then one by one they call people's name.
Once your name is called you go up front and they give you your citizenship certificate.
Friends and family can take picture during ceremony (even with Flash).
then they show some more videos.
After about 1 hour, the whole thing is done.
From the time I arrived (20min before scheduled time) until the whole thing was over, it took little over 2 hours.
After ceremony is over, you can go talk to the Passport folks who have a table setup in lobby to answer your questions.

I expected them to video tape the ceremony and I could buy a video tape or CD for $$. but they didn't. they didn't even have an official photographer. So that's why they are so relaxed with people taking picture during the whole program using flash.

Good luck.

Today I became a citizen...

As "username" says,.... it all went smoothly.. photos are permitted... a few unruly kids spoiled the 'solemnity' of the occasion.

MAKE DOUBLE SURE any friends/family have ID with them... one of "my fellow citizens'" mother in law (who came to watch) had to wait in the car because she had no ID with her....

Then it was braving the Thanksgiving traffic to get to the passport office in time....

My passport should be ready to pick up on Monday (I fly to UK next week)

Congrats:D

Happy turkey day everybody:D

Today I became a citizen...

As "username" says,.... it all went smoothly.. photos are permitted... a few unruly kids spoiled the 'solemnity' of the occasion.

MAKE DOUBLE SURE any friends/family have ID with them... one of "my fellow citizens'" mother in law (who came to watch) had to wait in the car because she had no ID with her....

Then it was braving the Thanksgiving traffic to get to the passport office in time....

My passport should be ready to pick up on Monday (I fly to UK next week)

Hi all,

Thank-you for the advice and answers to my many questions. I had my oath ceremony on Nov. 26th and now am a citizen. It has been a long journey (even before the N400) - 6 1/2 yrs. to citizenship. Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving. Blessings and thanks!

Congrats:D

Hi all,

Thank-you for the advice and answers to my many questions. I had my oath ceremony on Nov. 26th and now am a citizen. It has been a long journey (even before the N400) - 6 1/2 yrs. to citizenship. Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving. Blessings and thanks!

Quick N-400

I found out about this forum just 10 days ago, the day before my Oath. But I would like to write some dates for every one. I think my N-400 went very fast.

I mailed my N-400 on 5-20-2008
Finger print was on 6-12-2008
Interview letter on...... 9-28-2008
Interview date was on...11-10-2008
Oath was on.................11-21-2008
Passport application on 11-21-2008
Passport received on 00-00-2008 not yet.

My application sent after 3 years of Green card, based on marriage. So from start to end it was exactly 6 months.
I never thought it will happen this fast. It was a flowless experiance.

I AM VERY PROUD OF MY AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my N-400 interview on Nov. 25. Most of the interview went well but I got a 12/10 Oath Date. Since I'll be going on a 3 week vacation overseas on 12/11, I requested an earlier date. However, the interviewer refused to reschedule saying that she cannot change the randomly assigned oath date. She handed me my approval letter with the 12/10 oath date and asked me to send the letter back to the Seattle District office if I needed another oath date.

If I attend the 12/10 oath ceremony, they will be taking my green card away and there's not enough time to get a US Passport since my flight will be leaving the next day. So, if I go for the oath ceremony, I will be unable to travel with no US passport or green card on 12/11. If I send my approval letter back requesting a new oath ceremony date in January, I'm unsure how long they might take to send me another oath date :-(

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!