Seattle DO - N-400 timeline

Tax returns question.

Hi,

Here is my timeline:

N400 Posted Date: 6/10/07
FP Date: 7/14/07
IL Date: 1/26/08
Interview Date:3/1/08

I am happy that I got the IL, but I am worried about tax returns. Here is my situation. When I appied N400, I thought I filed all my taxes so far. I was going through the tax returns as I getting ready for Interview and I couldn't find the return for one of the states that I lived part year in '03. I didn't file my taxes in that state. I know that I don't owe any taxes to that state and I can get a refund of $100 or So if I appied.

Can any of you please answer these questions:

1) At the interview, do they go through all tax returns? And what kind of questions can I expect?
2) Should I file those taxes now and get a proof that I don't owe taxes to that state?
3) Or should I just ignore that because I knew that I don't owe any taxes to that state and I never gotten any inquiry from IRS about that missing filing?

I appreciate your help.

SeaKing,
You can file the tax return now just to make it complete and fool proof. Talk to a Tax consultant, they will help.

Any other Seattle folks who received IL? Please update and post.

Should I file those taxes now and get a proof that I don't owe taxes to that state?

Filing taxes has the implication of residency, because USCIS uses the place where you filed taxes to determine your residency, which in turn determines the eligibility of filing. If you are always staying in the same USCIS district, then you'll be fine. Just go ahead file the taxes you did not file. (You may get your $100 back though, since it has been more than 3 years. Sorry, bud.) But if you moved between USCIS districts around the time of filing, then it could get complicated. Hopefully you didn't fall into the later category.

Things seem to have slowed down...No updates on IL from Seattle folks recently!

From our list below, June PDs got IL end of Jan, so July PDs should get end of Feb, if they go at the same rate. But with increased number of applications in July, don't know what will happen.

Seattlebear - March 23
Anakut - June 4 - IL(Jan 28) - ID(Mar 3)
Truemetal3 - June 19 - IL(Jan 28) - ID(Mar 17)
Sea_rp - July 20
Seattleliter - July 23
CrossHairs - July 25
Senga - Sept 17

From our list below, June PDs got IL end of Jan, so July PDs should get end of Feb, if they go at the same rate. But with increased number of applications in July, don't know what will happen.

Seattlebear - March 23
Sea_rp - July 20
Seattleliter - July 23
CrossHairs - July 25
Senga - Sept 17

HomerSimp,
Can you add your timeline to add to the seattleliter post above?
Thx.

FlyingTurk - March 15, 2007
Seattlebear - March 23
Sea_rp - July 20
Seattleliter - July 23
CrossHairs - July 25
Senga - Sept 17

hey guys, been a while since i been in here, im going through AOS for my wife and son now. im pulling for you all to get your natz soon.

Not quite.. I heard from 3 folks in Seattle that they got IL in the last two weeks. Late June/early July filers. Also, one of them is a August filer. Go figure !!

Not quite.. I heard from 3 folks in Seattle that they got IL in the last two weeks. Late June/early July filers. Also, one of them is a August filer. Go figure !!
sea_rp,

Late june and early July PDs getting ILs means, we know that it is moving, even if slowly. August PD getting IL might be a one of case like we have seen js360 and queensheeba. Do you by any chance know the PDs of the late june and early july filers who got ILs?

Nope, don't have exact dates. Just the approx time lines I posted earlier. Wanted to communicate that things are moving albeit slowly and at times randomly.