Santa Ana (OC), CA Time Line

I received my interview letter today, May 24, 2008. It was kind of a nice touch for the long weekend.:D

The IL was dated and mailed on May 23, 2008 and seems to confirm that they send out ILs from the CSC around the 20th of the month. My interview will be in Santa Ana on July 15th. Time to interview from filing: 11 months.

Now I have to stop complaining here and start studying and getting ready for the interview. Of course I will post back here with my interview experience.

Santa Ana appears to be over the hump of summer filers, which is good news for applicants who applied after July 2007 and also good news for others in SoCal.

Hang in there, everybody.

congrats,when i went there for my interview, it was full but they had 10 IO's working :)

Congrats yummyk one more time )) (never too much good news!)))

may be Santa Ana DO finally hired all those people who were applying since November?

All,
I have received my N-445. Oath Ceremony date. It's for June 19th in Montebello (Quiet Canon Hall)

The scheduled time is 10:30 but I have seen earlier posts regarding this venue indicating you should get there 90 minutes ahead of that time.

Is that overkill?

Good news is that of the three venues offered, this is by far the most convenient as I work less than 10 miles from the venue.

Congrats yummyk one more time )) (never too much good news!)))

may be Santa Ana DO finally hired all those people who were applying since November?
Thanks a lot, FelizLA. To answer your other question, my case status never did disappear offline. It is still there and shows that they received my application on 10/26/08.

I had checked the case status on May 23rd, and it was still there. Since I hadn't received an IL at that point, I gave up all hope for getting one this round. Then, on May 24th, it was there in my mailbox. Turns out it had been printed and mailed on May 23. Looks to me like they print and mail them in batches over the course of a few days - perhaps starting on the 21st of the month.

i'd like to bump this thread and add some stats (full stats in LA thread)

inetuser (S.Ana)------- PD May 16, 07 -- FP June 30, 07 ---IL ____ ID Nov 30, 07-- OL___ -OD Jan 18, 08 (1,5/x/6/x/8)
sambangis (S. Ana) - PD May 25, 07 -- FP Jun 22, 07 --- IL ___ __,07 - ID Dec 03, 08 - OL ___ OD Jan 18, 08 (1/x/7/8)
Feb 08 ILs -> July 23, 07
KeenGolfer (S.Ana)----- PD Jul 23,07 --- FP Sep 19, 07 --- IL Feb 21, 08 --- ID Apr 21, 08 - OL May 20, 08 -- OD June 19, 08 (2/7/9/10/11)
xenogear (S.Ana)------- PD Jul 23, 07 ---FP Dec 14,07--- IL_________---ID Mar 05, 08 - OL ______-OD Apri 30, 08 (5/x/8/x/9)
April 08 ILs > July 28, 07
dahvaio (S.Ana) ---------PD Jul 28 - FP Dec 06, 07 - IL Apr 25, 08 - ID June 23, 08 (5/9/11/_/_)
May 08 ILs> Aug 21, 07
yummyk (S. Ana)--------PD Aug 21,07--FP Dec 22, 07 -IL May 23, 08 - ID July 15,08 (4/9/11/_/_)

seems like all Feb-Mar-Apr-May they were finishing last week of July??
and in May finally reached August?
they probably have very few officers and that's why they are hiring

I received my interview letter today, May 24, 2008. It was kind of a nice touch for the long weekend.:D

The IL was dated and mailed on May 23, 2008 and seems to confirm that they send out ILs from the CSC around the 20th of the month. My interview will be in Santa Ana on July 15th. Time to interview from filing: 11 months.

Now I have to stop complaining here and start studying and getting ready for the interview. Of course I will post back here with my interview experience.

Santa Ana appears to be over the hump of summer filers, which is good news for applicants who applied after July 2007 and also good news for others in SoCal.

Hang in there, everybody.

Congrats yummyK for your Interview Letter :D ... looks like Santa Anna is moving faster now

Just checking in. I've been reading these posts for a while
I have been pending since 7-6-06. Got the FP in short order, since then... nothing.

Stolen Chalupa, sorry to hear about name check, are you planning to file WOM?

anybody else from Santa Ana? LA apparently is sending ILs to September 07, San Bernardino processing oaths(?) for December 07, Santa Ana has to have some good news too!

No WOM immediately planned. Going the congressman and ombudsman route. Waiting for July, since my name check will be approaching 2 years then, so hopefully mine will be taken care of shortly after at latest. Per announced promise (goal) of all 2 years cleared by July. Of couse I am doing all the steps so the option will be open later if I wish to.

Anyway, hopefully the announced goals can be reached.

SC

Hi
I am in OC and just want to post my time line. I am quite supprise that I got the IL so early as compare to others. My time line is as below.

PD 04/08/2008
Check cashed 04/10/2008
Fingerprint letter received 04/18/2008
Fingerprint done 04/29/2008
IL received 06/19/2008
ID 08/22/2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I am in OC and just want to post my time line. I am quite supprise that I got the IL so early as compare to others. My time line is as below.

PD 04/08/2008
Check cashed 04/10/2008
Fingerprint letter received 04/18/2008
Fingerprint done 04/29/2008
IL received 06/19/2008
ID 08/22/2008
Thanks for posting your timeline. This pretty much confirms that Santa Ana is over the hump and will now be processing cases in a much more timely manner than they have been for the past year. Good luck to you, and get your ballot card ready because you'll be voting in November!

f1gcguest, congrat on IL! I am happy for you that you got it and it's surely not your fault that it's unfair, but... WOW!!! sending ILs to Aug 07 in May and to April 08 only month later???
OC and S.Ber. seem to either really really speed up or they both developed the "NYC DO syndrom" - i.e. processing fresher cases while ignoring backlog to make overall statistics more favorable for themselves.

f1gcguest, congrat on IL! I am happy for you that you got it and it's surely not your fault that it's unfair, but... WOW!!! sending ILs to Aug 07 in May and to April 08 only month later???
OC and S.Ber. seem to either really really speed up or they both developed the "NYC DO syndrom" - i.e. processing fresher cases while ignoring backlog to make overall statistics more favorable for themselves.
I don't think they sped up, I think that after August of 2007 there was a huge dropoff in the number of applications. Once they clear the backlog, I envision that it will only take 3-4 months to process an application in the future. I know somebody with a PD of two months after mine, yet the interview is only 10 calendar days beyond my interview.

Passed interview. It was very simple. However, I recieved a Social Security Form. Do you guys know when I have to submit it? I already have a SSN Card with a valid number.

They asked me 10 Questions from the study book.

Just waiting for the OATH DATE....

Passed interview. It was very simple. However, I recieved a Social Security Form. Do you guys know when I have to submit it? I already have a SSN Card with a valid number.

They asked me 10 Questions from the study book.

Just waiting for the OATH DATE....
Congratulations, Dahvaio! Sounds like everything went smoothly for you at the interview.

After you take the oath and become a citizen, it is a good idea to visit the Social Security Administration office and inform them of your change in status. The form that you were given will help you to do that, and of course you present the form along with proof that you are now a citizen. This change in your status with the SSA will help ensure that there are no future problems with you being incorrectly registered in their database.

This will take on increased importance in the future as it seems that the federal government is moving towards a system of using people's names and social security numbers as a way of verifying employment eligibility. The system is already in use, primarily on a voluntary basis, and my understanding is that there is an approximate 4% error rate. To avoid being in that 4%, and to avoid future problems in general, it is best to take the time to inform the SSA of your change in status once you become a citizen.

Did the IO tell you anything about the oath and when to expect the oath letter? Would you please report back when you receive it to update your timeline?

Interview at Santa Ana and Question about Photos

Had my naturalization interview yesterday at the Santa Ana, CA DO. I arrived a bit early, and I could see applicants literally flooding into the building. About 40 minutes before my interview, I joined the line at the front of the building. At security, you show them your letter and photo ID and then take the elevator to the second floor. Once there, you drop your IL in a box and sit in the waiting room. There were about 50 people in the waiting room and every 60 - 90 seconds an IO would come and call out a name.

I waited about 30 minutes before my name was called by a stern and serious looking IO. He introduced himself and we walked back to his office. On the way, he asked for my GC and DL, and took photocopies of both. He swore me in, asked me to put my bag on the chair next to me, and then we had a seat. He proceeded to arrange my application on his desk, and he was in no hurry. Before we started, he looked through my entire application, including the part where I made a statement about additional trips. I started to get worried at this point.

We then started with the civics questions, which were asked orally. I answered all 10 of them correctly. Then he asked me to write a simple sentence, and finally to read a simple sentence. After that was done, I had to sign the test papers. Then we moved through the application.

He moved through it fairly quickly, but started with how I got my GC. He asked me to confirm name, social security number, maritial status and children. He then asked me if I had ever been arrested or been in jail or prison. Asked me if I was a member of a terrorist group, confined in a mental institution etc. etc. When we came to the part about trips, I updated with the application with the one additional trip I have made since I filed. He only asked me if I had had any trips longer than 6 months, and that was it. Didn't ask to see any of my passports, and didn't even bother with my statement about additional trips. I guess when you only have 58 days outside the country, and your longest trip is 8 days, it doesn't raise any red flags. I was surprised, but relieved. Asked me about the organizations that I had belonged to (Costco and Boy Scouts, among others - nothing too terrible!), and then finally about my allegiance to the constitution and willingness to take oath etc. Finally we were done, and he had me sign the application. He also had me sign a few other documents, one of which he printed off. Finally, he handed me a N-652 with the "Congratulations, you've been reccomended for citizenship" box checked, and told me to expect the oath letter within 90 days. I almost fell out of my chair with relief, but did my best to stay composed.

Here's the one thing I don't understand: HE NEVER ASKED ME TO SIGN MY PICTURES. Shoudl I be worried about that? I didn't question him on it, because it didn't occur to me until after I got outside. The guy was very thorough and it didn't seem likely that he would overlook something like this, but you never know. Anybody with this experience also? Do you have to sign your pictures at your interview?

Overall, it was pretty painless. In an out in one hour, and it wasn't too bad - just a little nerve wracking. My IO was a very serious guy, so I mirrored him exactly: I was completely serious, with not a smile exchanged between us even once. No jokes, no kidding, just answer the questions as they are asked. After he asked me each question, he would look up at me, and I maintained eye contact with him as I answered. They are obviously trained to try and detect subversion, so make sure you look them in the eye when you answer them.

Congratulations, yummyk! Just one more step and you're done.

I don't remember if I ever asked you whether or not you had any traffic violations, but was this issue even raised at your interview?

Congratulations, yummyk! Just one more step and you're done.

I don't remember if I ever asked you whether or not you had any traffic violations, but was this issue even raised at your interview?
Thanks, Vorpal! It's been a loooong journey, baby, and it's not over yet. Well, believe it or not, I have never ever had a traffic citation. I received a parking ticket once, but I didn't bother to declare this on the N-400 (my understanding was that parking tickets were not an issue). Thus for me, the whole traffic ticket debate was a bit of a non-issue.

I will say that we tend to take small things on this forum, and blow them out of proportion. I expected to be grilled about the statement I made on my N-400 about additional trips outside the US, but the IO read the statement carefully and then did not even question me on it. He only asked if any of the trips were longer than 6 months. My guess is it's the same deal with traffic tickets: if it's something simple (no arrest, no DUI etc.) then it's not a big deal as long as you paid the fine, and can prove that you paid it.

Any ideas about me not signing the pictures at the interview? I hope this doesn't become an issue. Sounds like other people have to sign theirs, but it never came up for me.

Thanks, Vorpal! It's been a loooong journey, baby, and it's not over yet. Well, believe it or not, I have never ever had a traffic citation. I received a parking ticket once, but I didn't bother to declare this on the N-400 (my understanding was that parking tickets were not an issue). Thus for me, the whole traffic ticket debate was a bit of a non-issue.

I will say that we tend to take small things on this forum, and blow them out of proportion. I expected to be grilled about the statement I made on my N-400 about additional trips outside the US, but the IO read the statement carefully and then did not even question me on it. He only asked if any of the trips were longer than 6 months. My guess is it's the same deal with traffic tickets: if it's something simple (no arrest, no DUI etc.) then it's not a big deal as long as you paid the fine, and can prove that you paid it.

Any ideas about me not signing the pictures at the interview? I hope this doesn't become an issue. Sounds like other people have to sign theirs, but it never came up for me.

Seems to me like traffic tickets are a two-way street (no pun intended). Most applicants report that their IOs didn't care about them at all, but an NYC applicant named nyc_newbie had a very disturbing speeding ticket experience at his interview. (Read more: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1911288#post1911288)

If you looks at other posts by this user (there are only 20, so it's not that much to look through), it appears that his IO demonstrated serious lack of professional conduct.

Anyway...I don't think you'll have any problems with your pictures. Even if the IO forgot to have you sign them, I'm sure you'll be able to sign them at the oath. It doesn't sound like a problematic issue that'll cause a delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me like traffic tickets are a two-way street (no pun intended). I've Most applicants report that their IOs didn't care about them at all, but an NYC applicant named nyc_newbie had a very disturbing speeding ticket experience at his interview. (Read more: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1911288#post1911288)

If you looks at other posts by this user (there are only 20, so it's not that much to look through), it appears that his IO demonstrated serious lack of professional conduct.

Anyway...I don't think you'll have any problems with your pictures. Even if the IO forgot to have you sign them, I'm sure you'll be able to sign them at the oath. It doesn't sound like a problematic issue that'll cause a delay.
Yeah, it's weird but different IOs seem to focus on different things. I have no doubt that if I had a different IO then that that person may very well have focused on my additional trips. In terms of traffic tickets, I think it is disturbing what happened to that other person, but ultimately he will be OK since he did pay them. The important thing is be honest and declare that you had them, but I agree that a delay in your approval is a high price to pay for such a minor thing.

IOs can and do act unprofessionally. As I was walking with my IO to the interview room yesterday, I heard another applicant getting grilled by an IO who was practically shouting at him / her: "have you, or have you not, ever registered to vote in an election?" Sounded to me like the typical American response when dealing with somebody who does not speak English as their first language: talk slower, louder and more condescendingly. I am a caucasian professional who speaks English as his first language, and even I was a bit intimidated by the process, so I can only imagine how others must feel at the interview. And don't let's forget about the IO in the NY area recently who essentially coerced that GC applicant from Colombia into having sex with him in exchange for a favorable interview.

I have some other advice for you on the interview, and I will PM it to you rather than post here...it's only a few of my thoughts and opinions, but I'd be happy to share them.

Thanks for the info on the pictures. Hopefully, the worst case scenario is that I have to sign it at the oath when I pick up the certificate...works for me!