San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

I have a question regarding N-400 through marriage. My wife filed N-400 and do I need to be present at the time of the interview?

Also, we need to travel outside US in mid-march and I doubt her oath will come by then, can we request an early oath?

Thanks !!!

My dates are as follows:

11/10/2010 Sent N-400 by USPS express mail
11/12/2010 N-400 received according to USPS
12/20/2010 Biometrics done
01/26/2010 Interview Date

I have a question regarding N-400 through marriage. My wife filed N-400 and do I need to be present at the time of the interview?

Also, we need to travel outside US in mid-march and I doubt her oath will come by then, can we request an early oath?

Thanks !!!

My dates are as follows:

12/20/2010 Biometrics done
01/26/2010 Interview Date

It would be nice if you accomapnied her to the interview office for moral support but your presence is not required. On occaision your prersence is useful. For instance, the interviewer asks for things with both names on it. If she needs something more she can say that you are in the waiting room. An officer may go and call you and ask tlo see your DL (and to check you out). [Do you two "look like a couple" or an "odd couple"?]

Thanks Bigjoe. After several years of marriage, we do look like an old (maybe odd too) couple :)

Is there any control on Oath date -- prepone it if we show them tickets etc?

It would be nice if you accomapnied her to the interview office for moral support but your presence is not required. On occaision your prersence is useful. For instance, the interviewer asks for things with both names on it. If she needs something more she can say that you are in the waiting room. An officer may go and call you and ask tlo see your DL (and to check you out). [Do you two "look like a couple" or an "odd couple"?]

Thanks Bigjoe. After several years of marriage, we do look like an old (maybe odd too) couple :)

Is there any control on Oath date -- prepone it if we show them tickets etc?

Had interview today and passed. Asked for early Oath but the officer said he will try. My wife told that we have to travel out of country in March end and he said he will block Mar 1 to 31 and oath will not be scheduled during that time. Technically, we are not here from Mar 25 to Apr end but she did not correct him as she was afraid that something might go wrong ...

Can it be fixed as we will be back in first week of May and can still take oath upto March 20.

We are swearing our oaths tomorrow at the Campbell Heritage Theatre! I'm really looking forward to this last step in our immigration process!

WOO-HOO! We are American Citizens!

We showed up at the Campbell Heritage Theatre at 9:00 am for our 9:30 Oath Ceremony. There were several lines outside - one for guests and the others for the applicants. They said there were over 400 people swearing in so I recommend getting there early. There was an officer checking our papers and to see if we had our green cards outside and he gave us a grouping number for where we would sit in the theatre. We were in the first row - dead center! When ushered to our seats, an officer took our green cards and our letter before we sat down. The ceremony took about 2 hours with multiple explanations on voting (in 5 languages), and how to register to vote. I'm at a loss to remember the order of the events now, but we sang the Star Spangled Banner, and pledged our allegiance to the flag, listened to a guest speaker, and then as a group swore the oath. One of the most memorable moments was when we were called to stand up by the countries represented. There were over 80. On exiting our rows, the officer who took our green card gave us our Naturalization paper. And we were done by 11:30.

There was a representative in attendence from the passport office - so if you need a passport, I would recommend bringing 2 passport pictures and a check - and applying for your passport immediately. I kind of wish we had done that - but oh well.....

Thanks to all who replied to all my questions during the last 5 months it has been greatly appreciated!

Status update for myself and my husband:

09/07/2010 - N-400 sent to Phoenix
09/08/2010 - N-400 received
09/14/2010 - Checks cashed
09/16/2010 - NOA received
10/01/2010 - RFE email received
10/02/2010 - RFE letter received
10/22/2010 - FP appointment scheduled
10/22/2010 - FP done
10/26/2010 - Email received - case sent to local office
10/27/2010 - Interview letter
12/02/2010 - Interview date (Passed!)
12/30/2010 - Received oath letter
01/27/2011 - Oath date
01/27/2011 - Oath Taken
01/27/2011 - AMERICAN CITIZENS!

Latest Update:

Timeline:
GC: 12/2007
DO: San Jose
10/04/2010 Sent N-400 by USPS express mail
10/05/2010 N-400 received according to USPS
10/08/2010 Check cashed
10/11/2010 USCIS E-mail notification & text msg confirming receipt of the filing
10/11/2010 Online case status shows that filing was received on 10/5
10/15/2010 Online case status changed to RFE notice mailed
10/18/2010 Received NOA in the mail
10/20/2010 Biometrics notice received (for 10/28)
10/28/2010 Biometrics done
11/05/2010 Online message changed to: Transferred to local office
11/10/2010 Received interview letter for 12/13/2010 at San Jose DO
12/13/2010 Interview at San Jose DO
01/08/2011 Received Oath Letter
01/27/2011 Became American Citizen

Oath is delayed, maybe due to name change

09/19/2010 - N-400 sent to Phoenix
11/08/2010 - FP appointment scheduled
12/17/2010 - interview
02/24/2011 - oath

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Oath Letter

Finally received Oath letter for Feb 24. Here is our timeline:

12/20/2010 Biometrics Done
01/26/2010 Interview Done
02/24/2010 Oath Date

I have received my fingerprinting notice for 8am in North San Jose - 2 weeks from now. How much time should I expect to spend at the office? I have an important engagement right after that. Could I just do a walk-in a few days ahead? Would such a walk-in require a "good" reason such as traveling out of town with proof of travel etc?

Any idea if that office in North San Jose (Charcot I think) is open on Saturdays?

Thanks.

I have received my fingerprinting notice for 8am in North San Jose - 2 weeks from now. How much time should I expect to spend at the office? I have an important engagement right after that. Could I just do a walk-in a few days ahead? Would such a walk-in require a "good" reason such as traveling out of town with proof of travel etc?

Any idea if that office in North San Jose (Charcot I think) is open on Saturdays?

Thanks.

I had my FP done at Charcot as well and was in and out in about 15 to 20 minutes.

I think the office opens at 8 am, so you can be there 10 minutes before it opens and should be out by 8:30.

They are not open on Saturdays.

San Jose naturalization interview details

Appointment at 9:50 AM, entered the USCIS office at 9:30 AM.

Around the USCIS office location: Plenty of food and coffee options within a half mile distance.[2 starbucks, 1 Panera bread, etc..]

Parking: Adequate free parking by the side and behind the USCIS building.

Airport like security check, shoes, belt, wallets thro' x-ray machine. No water allowed in. Cell phones allowed, but have to be switched off. A smart idea to dress like you have a flight to catch, empty pockets, no metal etc ...

There are rest room and water cooler facilities on the first floor.

Off to the second floor, room 219, dropped appointment letter in window and waited to be called. Time on the clock: 9:35 AM

Room was kind of lightly populated, with other folks their families and counsel in tow for some. I saw one applicant carrying her baby to the interview as well. [might be useful info for some]

Attire of the applicants : Formal, Semi formal, Business Casual, casual[Jeans & Hoodie, did not see any flip flops or sweat pants!]

Name announced by IO after about an hour, walked behind the IO to the IOs office. Time on the clock: 10:30 AM

Typical office, could seat IO and possibly 3 more. [think Michael Scott's office maybe just a tad smaller]

Friendly Asian IO, easy on the eyes as well. Courteous and down to business.

Raise right hand and swear to tell the truth.

Gave passport current and expired, and Green card.

Went over the N400 form, and ticked in Red (i think) each answer. Confirmed nothing had changed, address, telephone # etc..

A little bit of small talk about some good schools in a state I resided previously in, when going over the address history.

Next: Can you recall the last trip you made overseas and dates? Answered in MM/YY, IO verified by looking at passport entry stamp.

Confirmed with me that I was over 26 years old when I was granted the green card. [during the selective service question]

Next, Sign 2 places on the N400 and write full name in All Caps in another location.

Next, Reading, writing and US History/Civics test ...

Read: Who elects Congress?

Write: The people elect Congress

Civics ...
1. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?

2. What is the political party of the President now?

3. Who is the Commander in Chief of the military?

4. What are the two major political parties in the United States?

5. Name one state that borders Mexico.

6. There were 13 original states. Name three.

Told me I passed and gave me form N-652, naturalization interview results.

Had me sign another paper that had my Name, Date of Birth and A#.

Said oath letter can take up to 2 months to be mailed out depending on the case load, but you might get it sooner.

Did not sign any photograph, asked IO if I needed to be signing the photograph. IO responded saying I need not as the pic and signature they captured during biometrics would be used. IO confirmed by looking at PC that my digital pic and signature were on file.

Walked me out to the door to waiting area.

Time on the clock: 10:50 AM. Total interview time in/out in about 20 minutes.

I had carried the following with me but was not asked for anything ...

1. Proof of residence, utility bill copy
2. Bank statements
3. Tax transcripts for federal
4. W2s, copies of tax returns for State

Thanks to all who posted their experiences in this thread previously which helped me going in today, and also to all those who take their time to respond to everyone's questions.

-Nanz.

Hello Folks,
I am one of the applicants that got naturalized on 1/27/2011. I applied for and got my US passport around the second week of February, 2011. However I am yet to get back my naturalization certificate from the Passport Office. Can you folks please share your experiences on how soon you got the naturalization certificate, after applying for the US passport? Thanks!
Praveen

Naturalization oath ceremony details

Finished my naturalization oath ceremony, today 03/24 at the Campbell Heritage theater, a very rainy windy day for the SF bay.

About 525 people from 65 or maybe it was 67 countries, naturalized today, including an applicant from Switzerland and Sierra Leone.(had to look that country up)

A group of eighth graders from a local school were also in attendance in the balcony, a field trip for them to understand the naturalization oath ceremony.

Logistics: Plenty of free parking but parking can be a pain if you arrive very late. Additional free parking available around the community center. Details here: http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/directions.htm.

Sequence of events of the ceremony was similar to what easybay had described earlier, found here: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?151918-San-Jose-CA-N-400-Timeline&p=2265445#post2265445

Passport Applications: To those who do not wish to go to the post office to apply for the passport, a representative from the San Francisco regional passport office was in attendance and anybody wishing to apply for a passport could turn in their applications with a check for the required fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/04/10: N-400 sent to Phoenix
12/13/10: NOA received
12/28/10: RFE sent
01/04/11: Biometrics done
01/19/11: Case transferred to local office, DO: San Jose, CA
01/24/11: Received interview letter, scheduled for 02/23
02/23/11: Interview done, passed [oath letter to be mailed]
03/05/11: Received oath letter for Thursday, 03/24/11 at Campbell Heritage Theatre
03/24/11: Naturalization oath ceremony done
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Wife and I had our Oath ceremony at the USCIS office in San jose earlier today. The ceremony was smaller than the ones in Campbell. There were ~80 people from 22 countries.

Our timelines are as follows:

12/27/2010 - [day 00] Application mailed to Phoenix Lockbox . (my application and my wife's)
12/29/2010 - [day 02] Applications received.
12/31/2010 - [day 04] Checks cashed
1/06/2011 - [day 11] NOA received PD: 12/30/2010
1/26/2011 - [day 30] E-mail: Fingerprint notice mailed
1/31/2011 - [day35] Received Fingerprint notice for 2/18/11
2/2/2011 - [day 37] Walk in Biometrics done ( will really be travelling on 2/18)
2/4/2011 - [day 39] E-mail: case transferred to local office
2/8/2011 - [day 43] Interview letter received for March 11th DO: San Jose
3/11/2011 [day 74] Interview date - passed interview , recommended for approval. wait for Oath letter via mail
04/08/2011 [day 108] Oath date. US citizen