05/21/2011 N400 mailed
05/25/2011 Check Cashed
05/31/2011 NOA received by mail
06/03/2011 Email Notification Received
06/10/2011 FP letter received
06/30/2011 FP done
07/16/2011 IL received
08/09/2011 Interview done

My interview was scheduled for 12:55. I arrived at 12:25. Usual airport-grade security screening: all metal items, cell phones and shoes in a plastic bin and through the x-ray machine.
There were about 12 people already sitting at the waiting room.
I counted at least 7 different interview officers, all in street clothes, so as not to intimidate interviewees.
I was called at 1:20 pm.
My interviewer was a young (late 20's, maybe) female officer. Very, very nice and pleasant.
She took my oath (to tell the truth) and proceeded to go through my application, making sure everything there was still as I had written (address, work, etc)
She asked if I had ever been arrested, to which I answered yes, because I had been taken into custody in 2003 for driving with a suspended license. She asked why the license had been suspended, and I told her that, to the best of my recollection, I had lapsed my insurance payments and that set a chain of events that resulted in my license being suspended. I ran a stop sign, was stopped, and the police officer took me to the county detention center, where they booked me and later released me. She asked me what had happened then, and I told her that I had gotten a court date, where a $500 fine was imposed, I paid it and got my license back.
She moved on to ask me for a passport. I told her that I hadn't had a passport for the last 10 years or so. She said OK, and asked if I had travelled out of the country in the last five years. I said that I hadn't for more than 10. She then moved to ask me about my wife, if she was a citizen. I said no, she doesn't have a status. She said OK, and then asked about my children, if they lived with me. The answer was yes.
She then moven on to the civics/history questions. I answered correctly the first six, so she didn't ask the last four. Then I was asked to read a simple (real simple) sentence, and to write another simple one that she dictated to me.
Finally, she gave me a couple of papers to sign, congratulated me and told me that I had passed, that all that remained now was for me to wait for a letter that would tell me when my oath ceremony would take place.
I thanked her and asked if I should file a petition for my wife right away, or if I should wait and do it after the oath ceremony. She recommended that I waited for the oath, because that way, the process would be shorter, she said.
I also asked her (while we were going through my application) to change my name. She asked me why I wanted to do that. Now, in my case it was just to drop my middle name, which I have never really used, but I find it a nuisance because it fills my green card, my SS card, and my driver's license. We made a little fun of it, and at the end, she did change it.

I am very glad that I was interviewed by a person that was in a good mood and was truly nice.

Updating my case status -- Had interview today. Officer was professional and nice. He talks very fast though. I carry a whole bag of documents but he didn't ask for anything. My case is quite simple and straight forward so I was in & out about 20 mins , hand delivered my oath letter since the ceremony is next week. I am very happy the journey is almost over.

Thanks to all and good luck

County: Monterey ; Field Office: San Jose, CA ;
06/13/11 N400 mailed
06/14/11 Delivered /Priority date
06/16/11 Check cashed
06/30/11 FP letter mailed (Txt & Email Notification)
07/05/11 FP letter received
07/11/11 FP walk -in done due to my planned business travel (07/26 Original FP date)
07/13/11 Testing and Interview notification received
07/18/11 "interview scheduled" -- Waiting for the interview letter
07/22/11 IL received
08/19/11 Interview date
08/19/11 Oath Letter
08/25/11 Oath Date

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I will have to wait till mid September to attend an Oath Ceremony - my 5 year green card anniversary is on 09.15.

Congrats Cdyinger and thanks for the update.

I am waiting for my interview on 31st. One question on the signature. Should we use our full name(first + last)? or a usual signature ok? On which document do we use this signature?

Officer asked me to sign on my N-400 application and some other documents he printed out -- I didn't even bother to look what they are coz he went so fast. also I signed on my photos. as far as signature , I signed as I am signing on any document that requirs a signature -- IE : driver's license , passport etc...

My Case Status : Approved - Waiting for my Oath

I had a interview yesterday. Officer was good. She was very fast and completed my interview in 10 min. She went though my application very quickly and asked me to answer main questions like my name, address, dob, previous address, work info, travel info and few question from yes/no options. I carried a whole bag of documents but she didn't ask for anything. She only saw my Drivers License, Green Card and Passport. English/Civic Test was very fast and easy. Hand delivered my oath letter to take a Oath on Sept 15 at Campbell Center.

Thanks to for all the help and good luck

06/17/11 N400 mailed
06/21/11 Delivered /Priority date
06/22/11 Check cashed
06/30/11 FP letter mailed
07/05/11 FP letter received
07/05/11 FP walk (07/28 Original FP date)
07/08/11 Testing and Interview notification received
07/27/11 "Interview Scheduled" -- Waiting for the interview letter
08/01/11 IL received
08/31/11 Interview date
08/31/11 Oath Letter
09/15/11 Oath Date

My interview is scheduled on October 31; however, my 5 year anniversary will be November 16. So I was wondering what would happen at the interview if I pass the English and civics tests.

Anyone knows the naturalization schedule in San Jose for November and December, please? Couldn't find it anywhere.

I requested a name change on N-400 form. If judicial oath is not available in San Jose this year, would it be possible to do the oath elsewhere: San Francisco, Sacramento, or Los Angeles?

Question about Oath Ceremony

Hi P001 or others,

What "immigration documents" besides Green card you are supposed to carry for the Oath ceremony. I don't have any EADs etc from the past.. Is it a big deal if you don't have those now. I am going to Campbell.

Thanks in advance.

Hi P001 or others,

What "immigration documents" besides Green card you are supposed to carry for the Oath ceremony. I don't have any EADs etc from the past.. Is it a big deal if you don't have those now. I am going to Campbell.

Thanks in advance.

I had my Oath Ceremony at the Campbell Heritage Theater last week. At the door, all they wanted to see was the oath letter (back page filled out) and my green card.

Good luck.

Thanks Steyong. I was at the same ceremony last week :).

Thx,

Congratulations!

I thought it was a great ceremony - 425 new Citizens from 66 different countries.

On Friday I went to the social security admin office to update my status. They told me I was too early and that the USCIS data would not be in their systems for another 10 days. They took my form and said they would change it next month. We'll see...

On Saturday I went to the post office and applied for my passport. I should get it sometime after 20th November.

Almost done now...

I also went to the local post office on Friday and applied for passports :)

I decided to get the passport card as well as the passport book. Although I don't travel to Mexico or Canada by road too often, it may come in useful when traveling overseas to have the card in my wallet in case my passport gets stolen. Maybe it'll make it easier to get a replacement passport at an embassy/consulate. Who knows, but for $30 it's not a big deal...

I decided to get the passport card as well as the passport book. Although I don't travel to Mexico or Canada by road too often, it may come in useful when traveling overseas to have the card in my wallet in case my passport gets stolen. Maybe it'll make it easier to get a replacement passport at an embassy/consulate. Who knows, but for $30 it's not a big deal...

Not sure if anyone know that walk FP help?