San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

does anyone know if there is a fee or delay for changing your name after you passed the interview?

N-400 San Jose, California
PD 10/03/08
FP notice 10/20/08
FP Date 11/13/08

Last edited by a moderator:
New interview date scheduled

I had requested that USCIS postpone my original interview in September because of trip I was making overseas. I was starting to regret my choice and thought that maybe I was moved way to the back of the line but I just received a new interview date yesterday. Phew!!! My timeline below.

does anyone know if there is a fee or delay for changing your name after you passed the interview?

N-400 San Jose, California
PD 10/03/08
FP notice 10/20/08
FP Date 11/13/08

You just can't do that in California, period. That's because a judge will not attend oath ceremony and you need a judge to process the name change. That said, you have to do that through a regular procedure: file a request with your county court. So it has nothing to do with USCIS, and of course it may cost you time and money.

Timeline

Filed documents on 7/28/08
Check cashed 8/01/08
FP notice 8/15/08
FD done 8/27/08
YL received 9/27/08
10/27/08 Interview letter received
12/02/08 Interview scheduled

Does anyone know how long it will take after interview until the oath ceremony? We have to leave the country (our kids with grandparents, and have to see them). We can wait two weeks after interview, but if it is longer than 2-3 weeks, we rather go and come back for the oath.

Sent 2 Fingerprinting notice...weird :-(

I received another fingerprinting notice Today in the mail. It has the same information as the first one. The only difference is the Notice date. The first one was 10/20/08, and the one I received today was 10/22/08.

Can anyone tell me what this meant? :confused:

D/O : San Jose, CA

9/30/08 : N-400 Express Mailed to CSC.
10/1/08 : N-400 Received @ Laguna Niguel.
10/2/08 : Cashier's Check Cashed.
10/1/08 : Priority Date.
10/9/08 : Notice Date.
10/14/08 : NOA Received ( I-797C). USCIS National Benefits Center in Missouri is processing my application. Transferred from Laguna Niguel (CSC).
10/24/08 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
11/7/08 : FP Appointment.
10/28/08: 2nd FP Notice Received (I-797C).
11/7/08: Same time/date/location. :confused:

?? : Interview Letter.
?? : Interview Date.
?? : Oath Letter.
?? : Oath Date.

The one for 10/20 is for your right hand, the one for 10/22 is for left hand :D

Just kidding..looks like they scheduled you by mistake twice..go to either date..what counts is to get them done.

Filed documents on 7/28/08
Check cashed 8/01/08
FP notice 8/15/08
FD done 8/27/08
YL received 9/27/08
10/27/08 Interview letter received
12/02/08 Interview scheduled

Does anyone know how long it will take after interview until the oath ceremony? We have to leave the country (our kids with grandparents, and have to see them). We can wait two weeks after interview, but if it is longer than 2-3 weeks, we rather go and come back for the oath.

It's hard to say, but they usually don't schedule oath ceremonies during Christmas holidays. You might be fine. However, nobody can answer your question with certainty. You might tell your travel plans to the IO during interview so they don't schedule your oath during that time.

The one for 10/20 is for your right hand, the one for 10/22 is for left hand :D

Just kidding..looks like they scheduled you by mistake twice..go to either date..what counts is to get them done.

actually, the schedule is the same date/time/location. They just sent it to me twice. it's just weird! :)

Ahh, in that case it's just a matter of duplicate notices..nothing to worry about.

Hi Bob, I applied for the passport (routine service) at the same day as you (10/21). The check was cashed on Monday (27th) but I am still unable to check my status online. What about you?

Oath "Call" Received!

Guess what? USCIS called me just now and told me that my oath ceremony is scheduled on 12/5! How come? The reason is so clear: she said that's because I wrote to USCIS ombudsman's office for complaint of being stuck on FBI Name Check, earlier this year. I am not quite sure whether the ombudsman helped me or not, because FBI, facing the pressure from NC victims, announced its plan to expedite process in April and my case was just about the time to be cleared. Who knows? Maybe he helped, because I got Interview Letter just 9 days after I got 2nd FP done.

Long live ombudsman. And if you are ready to write to him, keep in your mind that it may take 1 month or 2 for him to get a chance to read it :)

PD: 10/30/2006
First FP: 11/25/2006
Got stuck on the notorious "FBI Name Check" since then.
Received 2nd FP notice.
Second FP: 08/20/2008
IL Letter: 08/29/2008 (yeah, that fast!)
Interview: Oct 1st, 2008 in San Jose.
“Oath Call": today Oct 30th, 2008
Oath Ceremony Scheduled on: Dec 5th, 2008

I received another fingerprinting notice Today in the mail. It has the same information as the first one. The only difference is the Notice date. The first one was 10/20/08, and the one I received today was 10/22/08.

ME too but since the appoint. date is the same i think its ok

Well, what the heck is going on....

Well, we just received another letter, less than a week from the date we got interview scheduled letter....this letter states that our interview was canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. What the heck is going one....probably no one knows.

Traffic ticket

Hi,

I know this question has probably been answered a million times but I hope some kind soul can save me the trouble of searching through the forum. I mentioned my one and only traffic ticket in my application. Now that my interview is next week, I just remembered that I might need the paperwork for this ticket. The fine was about ~$130 and I went to traffic school. Is a DMV printout enough? Do I need something from the Santa Clara County courthouse? If so, instructions for that would be greatly appreciated. My ticket was ~11 years ago. I don't remember the exact date. Would I be able to look it up?

More than likely, the IO will just tell you that you shouldn't have included it. It says on the application that anything under $500 that doesn't involve a DUI is just not necessary.

More than likely, the IO will just tell you that you shouldn't have included it. It says on the application that anything under $500 that doesn't involve a DUI is just not necessary.

Yeah, I debated with myself on whether I should have mentioned it in the first place. I read the instructions and I took it to mean "There's no need to attach any documentation to the application if you have a violation with <$500 fine." I wasn't sure if that meant "Don't mention any violations if the fine was <$500". Now that the interview's getting closer, I'm wondering if I should cover all my bases just in case.

Tracker update :

08/30/08 : Mailed application
09/02/08 : Application received
09/04/08 : Check cashed
09/08/08 : Receipt date [date 09/02/08]
09/12/08 : Received FP notice [date 09/09/08] :
10/01/08 : FP
10/31/08 : IL Notice received
12/4/08 : IL Date

Awaiting Interview,OD,PP

Oath Letter Rcv'd

Oath letter received today.

PD: 10/30/2006
First FP: 11/25/2006
Got stuck on the notorious "FBI Name Check" since then.
Received 2nd FP notice.
Second FP: 08/20/2008
IL Letter: 08/29/2008 (yeah, that fast!)
Interview: Oct 1st, 2008 in San Jose.
“Oath Call": Oct 30th, 2008
Oath Letter: 11/08/2008 (sent on 11/05)
Oath Ceremony Scheduled on: Dec 5th, 2008