San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

List of documents to bring to interview

My interview is scheduled on 12/04/08, though I had answered "no" to question #33 asking "are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between 18th and 26th birhtdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?", in the interview letter I'm asked to bring evidence of Selective Service Registration. My wife is also asked to bring the same evidence. Any suggestion on what should be done next?

Additionally, both of us have received "Case File Review Notice/Interview Document Check List" letter, asking us to bring "... all arrest records and court dispositions...", though in the application we had indicated these violations are parking and moving violations(not stopping at STOP sign and not turning on head light), under $500, that are dismissed after attending traffic school. But for copies of traffic tickets and traffic school certificates we do not have any other records. Would there be any potential problem during the interview, as I can't get the requested records?

Additionally, both of us have received "Case File Review Notice/Interview Document Check List" letter, asking us to bring "... all arrest records and court dispositions...", though in the application we had indicated these violations are parking and moving violations(not stopping at STOP sign and not turning on head light), under $500, that are dismissed after attending traffic school. But for copies of traffic tickets and traffic school certificates we do not have any other records. Would there be any potential problem during the interview, as I can't get the requested records?

Buddy, that is what I did: I wrote to DMV asking for any bad record. If they couldn't find any, they are going to send you a letter confirming that. If that's the case, you don't have to report anything to USCIS. However it took some time so I would suggest you to walk in and ask for this document.

Buddy, that is what I did: I wrote to DMV asking for any bad record. If they couldn't find any, they are going to send you a letter confirming that. If that's the case, you don't have to report anything to USCIS. However it took some time so I would suggest you to walk in and ask for this document.

Thanks henrysh. I've already enclosed a copy of DMV record with the application. Anyways, I'll carry it for interview.

Awaiting FP. I've seen a lot of post where FP notices were sent in less than 2 months. Is this normal ? or am I missing something.

Mailed: 08/30/2008
Check Cashed: 09/04/2008;
Priority Dt: 09/02/2008
Received Dt: 09/02/2008
Notice Dt: 09/04/2008

Thank you.

Based on my zip code I belong to San Francisco field office. However the notice letter that I received said that my application is @ California Service Center.

Should I call USCIS/Field Office? or wait out some more time?

Any suggestions?

Mailed: 08/30/2008
Check Cashed: 09/04/2008;
Priority Dt: 09/02/2008
Received Dt: 09/02/2008
Notice Dt: 09/04/2008
FP: ???

Few more days

I am not a lawyer and hence cannot advice, but if I were you, I would wait for few days before following up...

I had submitted at the same time as you and I got my FP done in a month at oakland.

Hi,
Anybody knows whether it is possible to be asked for a second interview a few weeks after the first one?
Waiting for Oath.
PD June 07

That sometimes occurs when new information has come up since initial interview or if USCIS erroneously scheduled two interview by mistake. What's your timeline besides PD ?

I passed my in citizenship interview a while ago. But two weeks after my interview, I lost my job and now I am unemployed. I am still waiting for my oath letter. I would like to know from those San Jose fellow who had taken the oath, are you required to report to USCIS any job chnage related information during the oath ceremony? Please kindly share your opinion. Thanks.

Not that I remember. Anyway, it doesn't have any effect on naturalization. I hope you find a new job soon, this economy is souring up very quickly.

I just had to make sure. No, they don't ask for employment changes.

http://www.ilw.com/forms/N445.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Huracan,
Thanks for the information. I looked at the form N445. It doesn't say anything about your job, and also there is no where you can put job related information. so I would consider my job, regardless of its status, as irrelevent to the oath. Thanks again.

Not that I remember. Anyway, it doesn't have any effect on naturalization. I hope you find a new job soon, this economy is souring up very quickly.

I just had to make sure. No, they don't ask for employment changes.

http://www.ilw.com/forms/N445.pdf

Next citizenship oath ceremony in San Jose, CA?

Hi,
Does anyone know when the next oath ceremony is scheduled for in San Jose/Santa Clara, CA? How often is this ceremony held? I attended my interview in October '08 and have not received the ceremony invitation letter yet and I need to travel in January '09. If necessary, can I request to attend the ceremony at a later date? Please advise...

Thanks!

It seems like San Jose was in a mad dash to get people to vote in the last election, perhaps now they are slacking off a bit. It is hard to say when the next ceremony will be. When you get the invitation it will give you the choice of rescheduling. Hopefully you will get the ceremony before January '09.

By the way, it seems the next ceremony at the Heritage Theater is today Nov 20, and the next seems to be on January 15th. They usually don't schedule ceremonies during the Christmas holidays. Does January 15th work for you?

http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm

They might schedule some other ceremonies at their offices in Monterey Rd. Bottom line, it is hard to say when you will be scheduled. If you don't hear anything in a few weeks you might consider scheduling an Infopass.

That is certainly not true. I had my interview mid Aug in San Jose and still no oath letter.
Anybody in a similar situation?

Thanks Hurracan. This question has probably been answered before, but can I travel out of the country during the period when my interview has been completed and I'm waiting for the oath ceremony. If I get the oath letter, I will go to the local USCIS to reschedule, but I just want to make sure I'm allowed to travel during this period and I hope I don't need an Advance Parole or any other travel document. Can someone please advise?

It seems like San Jose was in a mad dash to get people to vote in the last election, perhaps now they are slacking off a bit. It is hard to say when the next ceremony will be. When you get the invitation it will give you the choice of rescheduling. Hopefully you will get the ceremony before January '09.

By the way, it seems the next ceremony at the Heritage Theater is today Nov 20, and the next seems to be on January 15th. They usually don't schedule ceremonies during the Christmas holidays. Does January 15th work for you?

http://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/heritagetheatre/events.htm

They might schedule some other ceremonies at their offices in Monterey Rd. Bottom line, it is hard to say when you will be scheduled. If you don't hear anything in a few weeks you might consider scheduling an Infopass.

Yes, you can travel between interview and oath provided you don't break physical or continuous residence by doing this. You can add this trip information on your oath letter. No need for advance parole or any other document, just your green card.

Thanks Hurracan. This question has probably been answered before, but can I travel out of the country during the period when my interview has been completed and I'm waiting for the oath ceremony. If I get the oath letter, I will go to the local USCIS to reschedule, but I just want to make sure I'm allowed to travel during this period and I hope I don't need an Advance Parole or any other travel document. Can someone please advise?