San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Shiva, see if your check has been cashed or not. There seems to be a change in the place to send applications to, which might have resulted in this.

Prajakata, is your citizenship app based on marriage or other. If marriage, then you can apply anytime. If not, you will have to wait till 5yrs - 90 days from when you got your GC (so sometime in March 2009)

Thanks..

Thanks hbr11,

I got my GC on 6/14/2004. mine citizenship applicaton is not based on marriage so looks like it comes under 5yrs -90 days rule.

Prajakata

Shiva, see if your check has been cashed or not. There seems to be a change in the place to send applications to, which might have resulted in this.

Prajakata, is your citizenship app based on marriage or other. If marriage, then you can apply anytime. If not, you will have to wait till 5yrs - 90 days from when you got your GC (so sometime in March 2009)

Same form for everybody. You should not only get the N-400 form and the accompanying instructions, but you should carefully read the "Guide to naturalization".

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=480ccac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

Check this page, you should have all the information you need in this page, look at the related links at the top right portion of the page for links to the guide to naturalization and other useful resources.

By the way, to be on the safe side I would do 5 years - 85 days so you don't have to lose any sleep about how is USCIS going to count the days.

Walk in to the San Jose ASC for fingerprints. No one asked me why I came earlier than appointment date. There was only a couple in front of me. The entire process took approximately 15mins. 2 of my fingers had MATCH WARNING flashing. The technician didn't seem too concern about it. I guess it is a pretty normal occurrence. Interview letter next.

Walk in to the San Jose ASC for fingerprints. No one asked me why I came earlier than appointment date. There was only a couple in front of me. The entire process took approximately 15mins. 2 of my fingers had MATCH WARNING flashing. The technician didn't seem too concern about it. I guess it is a pretty normal occurrence. Interview letter next.

Yes, it happens sometimes bcs they do it too fast. :D

I am ready to file N-400 (employment based) in coming weeks

Any updates on San Jose processing times? I read that they were targeting a five month processing time for N-400. Are they making progress? Thanks.

can I travel after filing N-400 form?

Hi

I am going to file n-400 form in month of March and will be going to India in month of may for couple of weeks. is this going to be a problem?

Thanks
Prajakata

Just a quick update. I don't remember the exact date, but here it is

Dec 2007: N400 mailed - to Vermont
Jan 2008: Priority date and FP date
relocated and changed address (called as well as mailed form), and long waiting without any news
Dec 2008: interviewed in San Jose
Jan 2009: oath letter
Feb 2009: oath ceremony (in Campbell)

pretty long process comparing to one of my colleagues (~6 month), pretty fast comparing to another colleague (>>2years)

I wished I could get it on time for the 2008 vote. Oh well, always there is next time.

good luck to everyone.

That is great, though there is a huge variation between cases.
I went for my interview around 6 months ago in San Jose and no Oath Letter yet.
For lucky ones the whole process takes 5-6 months, which is great. However, for not so lucky ones, the process becomes a nightmare.

That is great, though there is a huge variation between cases.
I went for my interview around 6 months ago in San Jose and no Oath Letter yet.
For lucky ones the whole process takes 5-6 months, which is great. However, for not so lucky ones, the process becomes a nightmare.

Did they tell you after the interview that you passed? If yes, what do they say taking so long to send the oath letter? I have had my mails from USCIS lost in transit more than once; is it possible that they sent but it got lost?

The interview was perfect. The officer was professional and courteous.
He said he knew that I would easily pass and gave me the "congratulation" letter.
Leaving the interview, I was so optimistic that I expected to receive the OL within a week. ~24 weeks passed, still in limbo.

The interview was perfect. The officer was professional and courteous.
He said he knew that I would easily pass and gave me the "congratulation" letter.
Leaving the interview, I was so optimistic that I expected to receive the OL within a week. ~24 weeks passed, still in limbo.

This is so sad. Isn't there a way to find out why haven't they sent the letter yet?