San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

My tracker update :

08/30/08 : Mailed application
09/02/08 : Application received
09/04/08 : Check cashed

Waiting for receipt and NOAs

Did you send the original reschedule request via receipt mail in order to have a record they received it?

Yes, I did. I had sent the original reschedule request via Certified Mail and Return Receipt. I have now sent copies of those establishing that USCIS had received our request.

-sabasu

Dear friends,

Long time no see.
I just skimmed through about 2 month long of messages and updated the spreadsheet wherever I see new users and new data.
It seems like the current processing time for new applications at the San Jose office is less than 6 months from PD to OD.
Congratulations to all.

For new members, please update your data in this spreadsheet so that other members will know when to expect the next milestone.

http://www.editgrid.com/user/cistracking/N400_Tracking

As per this sheet some people before and after my PD seems to have got Interviews scheduled already, so I guess I am stuck. What are my options except for waiting? Anyone?

Contact the Senators

Gurus,

Need your help and advice urgently.

Me and my wife had applied for N-400 and had a PD of 12/31/2007. We successfully went thru the FP process and our interview was scheduled for July 15. Due to an urgent and unavoidable family commitment we had to go out of the country during the time of the interview was scheduled. We notified this to USCIS immediately after receiving the interview letter, attached all documentary evidence and requested for a reschedule of our interviews. We wrote only ONE letter which was signed by BOTH of us, and returned the ORIGINAL interview letters for BOTH of us.

Now, my interview has been scheduled for September 4th. However, my wife received a notice dated July 16, asking her to show reasons why she did not attend the interview INSPITE OF of us notifying USCIS in advance. This explanation was due in 30 days, failing which, it stated, that the case would be "administratively closed". To make matters worse, we had misplaced this letter and discovered it only last weekend (August 31st), which was later than the 30-day deadline.

I have written back to USCIS explaining the situation and awaiting their response.

I will really really appreciate if any of you have a similar experience and could advice me accordingly.

-sabasu

I would say compile a file with case details and send it to the Senators. It helps.

Got oath letter

Got oath letter on 9/6. Oath scheduled for 9/19.

PD: 5/29/07
ND: 6/6/07
FP: 8/11/07
IL: 8/2/08
ID: 9/2/08

I called a USCIS caller center twice and talked with young persons who sounded like junkies. They said that they could not find my status online and I should just wait. That's it! It is waste of time to call USCIS. I do not understand why USCIS is keeping and paying salary to these young stupid junkies who cannot talk normally. It is a waste of our tax.

USCIS is the most lazest US Government agency. Even though many people paid much money (more than $600), they did not do anything but just make us feel very painful. Moreover, it is the least responsible US agency.

Those "junkies" won't be able to tell you much. Try this, call USCIS customer service , choose options 1-2-3. When the rep asks you for receipt number tell them you never received one and it's been more than 30 days since you applied. This will trigger them to transfer your call to an IO who will be able to tell you the status of your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got oath letter on 9/6. Oath scheduled for 9/19.

PD: 5/29/07
ND: 6/6/07
FP: 8/11/07
IL: 8/2/08
ID: 9/2/08

Congratulations! :) I am so glad that San Jose has sped up so much. However, by speeding up so much it is making clear to people when they are stuck on name check. Overall, big kudos to San Jose office on eliminating the backlog of naturalization cases.

Tracker update :

09/08/08 : Receipt date [date 09/02/08]

Awaiting FP notice

N400 Interview

Does the interview notice letter usually say "Request for Applicant to appear for Naturalization initial interview"

After Passport - Citizenship Certificate ??

Congratulations! :) I am so glad that San Jose has sped up so much. However, by speeding up so much it is making clear to people when they are stuck on name check. Overall, big kudos to San Jose office on eliminating the backlog of naturalization cases.

Quick Question to those went thro' .. After you receive the passport, how long it took to get back our Citizenship Certificate and or Birth Certificate ( In case of minor ), which were send while applying Passport. Appreciate your feedback.

So I assume I am stuck in name check because people after me are getting interviews done? What are my options?

So I assume I am stuck in name check because people after me are getting interviews done? What are my options?

The first thing to do is schedule an infopass appointment if it has been over 120 days. The infopass appt would be able to tell you whether your case is stuck in the FBI namecheck process. if it is, you have the option of waiting. USCIS and FBI had announced a plan to eliminate cases stuck inthe name check process. See http://www.usabal.com/news/2008/08Apr03.html

The other option is to file a writ of mandamus (WOM). It is basically a lawsuit filed on USCIS to do their job within a reasonable time. The WOM did work for me as my case was stuck in the FBI name check process for a year and I found out only through info pass. To file a WOM you can either contact an immigration attorney or do it yourself. Here is the immigration portal thread that talks extensively on WOM DIY.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=194681&highlight=writ+mandamus

Also look into the following two articles on WOM.
"Consider filing a Writ of Mandamus"
http://www.philadelphiaimmigrationla..._mandamus.html

"Writ of Mandamus Options for FBI Name Check"
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-1088.html

I was frustrated that people were getting their citizenship in 6 months or so and then there are some who have been waiting for more than a couple of years. Your silenceis not going to reward you. Hope the above helps. Good luck.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
04/09/2007 : Mailed
04/17/2007 : Priority Date
04/19/2007 : Check cashed
07/31/2007 : Finger Printing Done
05/10/2008 : Filed Writ of Mandamus
07/01/2008 : Received Interview Date
07/10/2008 : Withdrew WOM.
07/14/2008 : Interview Done
08/21/2008 : Oath Letter Received
09/17/2008 : Oath Date Scheduled

Don't assume that just because someone else's case gets processed before yours does that your case is stuck in name check. USCIS does not process cases in chronological order. Wait at least 90 days after your FP to contact USCIS. An IO (via phone or Infopass) can then tell you if your case is being held up by name check.

Tracker update

Tracker update :

09/08/08 : Receipt date [date 09/02/08]
09/12/08 : Received FP notice [date 09/09/08] : FP data 10/1/08

Awaiting FP,IL,ID,OD,PP

Oath centers for San Jose folks

Apart from the Campbell what are the other Oath centers for folks in the San Jose area?

I received my US passport.
Actually it arrived by mail on Aug 23rd (I applied on Aug 12). So very quick. But my landlady sent it back to the sender because I had just moved the day before. And before I could give them a change of address, they had mailed it.
So i had to chase and trace my passport with the Post Office and the everyday calling the US Passport Agency number to see if they got it back. Luckily the Post Office called me when they got my naturalization certificate. So I got that much earlier.
So on Friday I went to the Regional Passport Office in San Fran and explained the situation to them. They looked in their mailroom to see if they had my passport returned from the Post office but did not find it.
So they asked me if I wanted a new one. I said yes. Gave them Form DS 86 (for non-receipt of the passport) and they issued me a new one on Friday itself.

So I got my US passport in Sept 12.

Can you travel after interview

Just curious if it is okay to travel on Indian passport to India after the interview but before the oath. Please respond ASAP