San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Expedite

Thanks Arun GK ,Yes ,Expedite, however I am surprised too, its quick for expedite, especially when 3000 people are scheduled in oath ceremonies twice a month in one center.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did your Number take to appear on "case status online"?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know how many months did it take for your receipt number to appear on "Case Status online"?

I submitted N-400 on Jan.2008 and received the receipt number. However, it is still "Error" on the USCIS HP and I cannot get any information.... I am very worried whether my case was disappeared or something else. 7 months has already passed....

In advance, thank you very much for your kindness.

George

For some people it never shows up in the system, or it disappears from the system when the interview letter is issued.

Hi everyone,

I would like to know how many months did it take for your receipt number to appear on "Case Status online"?

I submitted N-400 on Jan.2008 and received the receipt number. However, it is still "Error" on the USCIS HP and I cannot get any information.... I am very worried whether my case was disappeared or something else. 7 months has already passed....

In advance, thank you very much for your kindness.

George

I've applied on Dec-7-2008 and had the same problem. Case Staus online was showing "error" - not existing. When called them they could not find me in their system (I believe same online they tried). But my phone call transferred to a technical guy who then said to me that the N-400 can not be seen online. I could not ask him more questions (even though I thought of it) and thought of asking the fact that many people see the status online (why not me). However, I got things progressing kind of normal (Receipt, FP, IL). Now waiting for Oath Letter since my Interview (passed) on July-10-08.

This "case status" too is kind of strange.

Oath is done today

Ah, finally, finally, it came!! I got my citizenship certificate!!

The anthem is so beautiful and touching. The singer was great!!

Thanks all for your support!

Go luck to the people who are still working on their cases!!

Best!

Has anybody else had such a bad experience at an Infopass appointment?

I am actually considering complaining about this IO's behavior. If anyone has any ideas on how to go about it, I would be happy to hear from you.

RKC

Yes I have.
That IO in windows# 15 needs to get a life, it seems like he hates his job, he hates everyone coming to his windows. My experience was the same, I posted here in this thread back in 3 March 2008. He basically acted as if everyone else sucked but him.

If there is any petition or complaints for this arrogant pissed off IO, let me know... I will sign it gladly.

Here is my experience on March 3.
Yes I had an infopass appt this morning at 8:30am. There were only 3 windows open, 1 of them, window #15, had a very mean officer, he just butchered a couple of ppl before me. Unfortunately, I had to go to his window. Here is my conversation:

IO: What are you here for?
Me: I am here to check the status of my citizenship Oath Ceremony. I had my interview about a month ago or so, I was told by Officer Wu during interview... (cut off)...
IO: I doesn't matter what the officer told you. You will get your oath letter when you get it.
Me: OK, I understand oath letters are sent 4 weeks prior the Oath, I am wondering if the letter had been sent, and that it may have gotten lost in the mail.
IO: No it won't get lost in the mail unless you changed your address. You will be notified when your oath will be ...(typing..typing..) OK, it looks like you are approved, everything looks good on your citizenship application, you will be notified by mail on the Oath date, be it March 20 or in 24 April. All oath letters are sent 4 weeks prior, so either you will get it this week for March or you will be put in April oath ceremony.
Me: OK, but can you tell me if my oath letter had been sent?
IO: You will get it when you get it. Good day.

Basically, he won't answer my question about whether my oath letter had been sent or not. Not a fruitful appt, except a confirmation there is no background/name check pending for my case. I was going to ask whether I can get in March Oath at other places (SF or Sacto), but I figured it may complicate things.

Got my oath letter!

I got my oath letter for Sept 17 at 1:00 pm at Campbell!
I believe calling Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren's office did help!! :D

I got my oath letter for Sept 17 at 1:00 pm at Campbell!
I believe calling Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren's office did help!! :D

No way, it was my good vibes :) No, honestly and not to mislead other people. I don't think Zoe Lofgren's office had anything to do with it. You said last week that they had just contacted you saying that they would send a consent form. How would that be possible that in a week you can get the consent form, get it back to them, they contact USCIS and USCIS issues you a oath letter. That seems too few days :) I think what helped you here is the good old just letting time pass and let things take their course.

Congratulations! :)

No way, it was my good vibes :) No, honestly and not to mislead other people. I don't think Zoe Lofgren's office had anything to do with it. You said last week that they had just contacted you saying that they would send a consent form. How would that be possible that in a week you can get the consent form, get it back to them, they contact USCIS and USCIS issues you a oath letter. That seems too few days :) I think what helped you here is the good old just letting time pass and let things take their course.

Congratulations! :)

Hi Huracan,

Thanks for the good vibes! I am absolutely sure they help too. ;)

I got a call on August 14 from a congressional aide that they had mailed a consent form. Me being the impatient type, I called her back on 15th morning and asked if I could come to her office and just sign the consent form. I got an appointment for 11:30 a.m and went in personally and signed the consent form. I also asked (pleaded would be more appropriate) her if she could possibly call USCIS that very day. She said she would.
On 25th, the congressional aide called me and said that she had been able to talk to USCIS and that they would schedule my oath in September and to expect a letter in the mail soon. Low and behold, the letter arrived yesterday!!! :D

As you said it's entirely possible that good old just letting time pass and letting things take their course is what happened in my case..... but me being me....I'd like to think that Zoe Lofgren's office did help my case, just because they were so nice and understanding and did do what they said they would do. :p

Hi Huracan,

Thanks for the good vibes! I am absolutely sure they help too. ;)

I got a call on August 14 from a congressional aide that they had mailed a consent form. Me being the impatient type, I called her back on 15th morning and asked if I could come to her office and just sign the consent form. I got an appointment for 11:30 a.m and went in personally and signed the consent form. I also asked (pleaded would be more appropriate) her if she could possibly call USCIS that very day. She said she would.
On 25th, the congressional aide called me and said that she had been able to talk to USCIS and that they would schedule my oath in September and to expect a letter in the mail soon. Low and behold, the letter arrived yesterday!!! :D

As you said it's entirely possible that good old just letting time pass and letting things take their course is what happened in my case..... but me being me....I'd like to think that Zoe Lofgren's office did help my case, just because they were so nice and understanding and did do what they said they would do. :p

Cool, considering that you went in person and they called you back on the 15th (you wrote the 25th, but I am sure that was just a typo), it is possible that the call helped. Man, you are proactive! :) I was considering that you were doing everything by mail.

Cool, considering that you went in person and they called you back on the 15th (you wrote the 25th, but I am sure that was just a typo), it is possible that the call helped. Man, you are proactive! :) I was considering that you were doing everything by mail.

Yup...that was a typo. Sorry!
I meant on 15th evening, she called me to let me know that I would have my oath sometime in September.

Good luck to everyone waiting.

Interview Letter received

The great news is I've been scheduled for an interview which will take place less than four months after I've submitted the my N400 (09/24/08).

The bad news is that I currently plan on being out of the country 09/20-10/03.

The letter says I can send it back if I can't make my appointment. Many folks have told me when it comes to USCIS, don't risk rescheduling appointments, because you could be in for some serious delays but I really don't want to change my travel plans.

Does anybody have any experience rescheduling interview appointments with USCIS in San Jose? Will I regret doing so?

My friend was O.K. for it.

The great news is I've been scheduled for an interview which will take place less than four months after I've submitted the my N400 (09/24/08).

The bad news is that I currently plan on being out of the country 09/20-10/03.

The letter says I can send it back if I can't make my appointment. Many folks have told me when it comes to USCIS, don't risk rescheduling appointments, because you could be in for some serious delays but I really don't want to change my travel plans.

Does anybody have any experience rescheduling interview appointments with USCIS in San Jose? Will I regret doing so?

My friend received one month after the original appointment day in the same situation. So, it maybe O.K. because your process is so faster than any others' process.

I have a question for you. Is your N-400 based on your marriage? In fact, my friend submitted later than I, but he have already got citizenship!! His is based on marriage with US citizen. But I am still looking for interview even though I submitted much earlier than my friend. Mine is based on "5 years after GC."
I think that it is the reason why my process is very slow.....

Sigh...

My friend received one month after the original appointment day in the same situation. So, it maybe O.K. because your process is so faster than any others' process.

I have a question for you. Is your N-400 based on your marriage? In fact, my friend submitted later than I, but he have already got citizenship!! His is based on marriage with US citizen. But I am still looking for interview even though I submitted much earlier than my friend. Mine is based on "5 years after GC."
I think that it is the reason why my process is very slow.....

Sigh...

Thanks for the data point. That's good to know. One month is even better than what I was expecting.

Mine is based on "5 years after GC" too. Actually, I'm very surprised since I'm from one of those "countries of concern" and we usually get "special" treatment when it comes to anything having to do with US government agencies or travel to/from the US. Then again, that just probably means the results of my background check, which was done at least two or three times in the past, are readily available. ;)

Good luck to you!

Got my oath letter in the mail yesterday (8/22) for September 17th 10am at Campbell.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
04/09/2007 : Mailed
04/17/2007 : Priority Date
04/19/2007 : Check cashed
07/31/2007 : Finger Printing Done
05/10/2008 : Filed Writ of Mandamus
07/01/2008 : Received Interview Date
07/10/2008 : Withdrew WOM.
07/14/2008 : Interview Done
08/21/2008 : Oath Letter Received
09/17/2008 : Oath Date Scheduled

Dear dope4datish

Got my oath letter in the mail yesterday (8/22) for September 17th 10am at Campbell.

N-400 timeline
DO : San Jose
04/09/2007 : Mailed
04/17/2007 : Priority Date
04/19/2007 : Check cashed
07/31/2007 : Finger Printing Done
05/10/2008 : Filed Writ of Mandamus
07/01/2008 : Received Interview Date
07/10/2008 : Withdrew WOM.
07/14/2008 : Interview Done
08/21/2008 : Oath Letter Received
09/17/2008 : Oath Date Scheduled

Hi dope4datish,

Congatulations! I have a question for you. What is "WOM"? and what did you do for "Writing of Mandamus"? Your process line took so long after the FP to the interview, but it looked that "writing of madamus" worked well. I would like to do the same. I am also waiting for the interview.

In advance, thank you very much for your great kindness.

George