San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Anybody haveing PD July End 07

A very few people got their ILs for PD around July End 2007. Looks like overall timing for N-400 in San Jose DO is now 14-18 months...

Feb 26 Interview, No Oath Yet

nitinkrsri -- did you get your oath letter? When was your interview at San Jose?

My interview was on Feb 26th, but I haven't gotten my oath letter. I know some people with the same interview date have gotten it. Should I do an InfoPass? How long should I wait?

Missing oath letter for self, wife got it last week...

Thanks for the response Bobsmyth.

Someone else had posted that their spouse didn't get the oath letter, but when they went to the oath with their spouse they inquired and to their surprise were registered for the oath.

Where does one need to enquire? At the desk where you show the Oath letter and checkin? Would they allow a person to be in if they did not bring their oath letter or it was lost in the email.

It seemed that the oath letter got lost in the mail or was never sent out by USCIS. Call USCIS and request to speak to an IO regarding the possible missing oath letter.

I guess i need to schedule an infopass appt with them. can the appt be taken online? can the question/answer be done on phone, or one has to go there physically?

Also, was there anything said by the IO at your interview that would suggest a possible delay in obtaining your oath letter? (like "decision cannot be made at this time" on the interview document)

No nothing about any delay. The lady just told me that your case is approved, and you would get an Oath letter in max 90 days (which is the max stipulated time).

timeline for my wife's USC....

Hi wc_2007,

USC Timeline for me and my wife till Interview Date, wife received Oath Letter for May 2, mine awaited:

• N-400 Mailing Date: May 30, 2007
• N-400 Delivery Date: June 02, 2007
• Priorty Date: June 04, 2007
• Notice Date: June 19, 2007
• Fingerprint Notice: August 01, 2007
• Fingerprint App/Done: August 23/24, 2007
• Interview Notice Date: December 27, 2007
• Interview Date: February 28, 2008
• Oath Notice (N-445) Date: April 03, 2008
• Oath Receipt Date: April 07, 2008
• Oath Date: May 02, 2008 (only for wife, mine awaited)
• Days between PD and ID: 269 days
• Days between PD and OD: 333 days

Last edited by a moderator:
How do i schedule infopass appt for not getting OL while wife got it last week...

Hi Folks
As i have previously mentioned, my wife with exactly same PD, ND, FD, ID got her oath letter last week while i haven't got it, even though the interviewer told me that the case is approved and i should be getting an Oath letter.

I have scheduled an infopass appt for Monday.

I guess I am going to tell the IO that i was told that my case is approved, just like my wife, but she got her oath letter last week whereas i have not.
Just calling to ensure it is not lost in the mail.

Is there anything i should add to it?
I will take the same docs as i took for my Interview, basically it is lying just like that untouched, along with one form that interview officer gave back saying case approved or something.

Lets see how it goes.

Hi Folks
As i have previously mentioned, my wife with exactly same PD, ND, FD, ID got her oath letter last week while i haven't got it, even though the interviewer told me that the case is approved and i should be getting an Oath letter.

I have scheduled an infopass appt for Monday.

I guess I am going to tell the IO that i was told that my case is approved, just like my wife, but she got her oath letter last week whereas i have not.
Just calling to ensure it is not lost in the mail.

Is there anything i should add to it?
I will take the same docs as i took for my Interview, basically it is lying just like that untouched, along with one form that interview officer gave back saying case approved or something.

Lets see how it goes.

Have you tried calling customer support and talking to an IO?

Got my IL today
PD July 27 2007
FP 10/29/2007
IL April 11 2008.
IL Date June 2 2008

Looks like July End PD are processing now for IL's.
Still Long Run atleast 4-5 months...

congrats gctocs!!

This means mine should also come soon and my interview should also be in June which is perfect!
keeping my fingers crossed now.

No BobSymth
I thought to talk to an IO, one needs to schedule an infopass and NCSC can probably only give status.

You can talk to IO via the 1 800 number and choosing option 1(english)-2-6. You will first get a customer service agent who will ask you for your reference number. Ask the agent to transfer or escalate your call. Some agnets will transfer your call to an IO with no hesitation, whereas others will try to tell they can't. Keep trying until you reach an IO. It would save you an Infopass trip.

Q's regarding San Jose DO

I had a few Q's that I'm hoping some of you more experienced folks can help me with. Please see my timeline below.

A lot hangs on the timing of my citizenship, including a 3-year move back to India with the whole family that is on hold till I get my citizenship. My questions are:

1. Do you think I should travel outside the US (ie, move my family and have them settled in schools etc) starting Aug 2008 and as long as my mail is being checked here in the US, just plan to come back for the interview and for the oath / passport. My stay outside of the US in the last five years has been only around 5 months, so the Q really is, can I risk being out of the US starting Aug, and hope that the interview and oath will take place in 3-4 months after that (or whatever is a safe period), so that I do not put the N400 process at risk. I would not be employed in India, so for all practical / official purposes, I will be on a visit there.

2. It would great if I could get a sense for when the interview date is likely to be - we can start planning our family's move at least based on that indication. I know most times they just fob you off with 18 month or whatever, but I would like to try anyways. To know the expected date of interview, would it be useful to get an infopass appointment, or can this be found out over phone - if so, what is the number to call at? Several people have mentioned calling and getting to speak with an IO, but I couldn't quite figure out the phone number.

Thank you so much. And good luck to everyone!

Srija
-------------------------
San Jose DO
PD 12/26/07
FP Notice Date 01/04/08
FP Done 01/31/08

Fresh Info for everybody who is waiting OL, especially for Waitforsolong:
During Info Pass appointment 04/08/2008 I was told why I didn’t get OL yet. They send OL according to date when name check was cleared. If you NC is cleared in June, July, August of 2007 you will get OL before me. For me I was told maybe my OL will come in June 2008.

Applied N-400 08/12/2005
PD 08/12/2005
Interview 01/10/2006
Name check is pending
Name check is cleared 09/10/2007
Second FP 12/06/2007
Form I-215W delivered to San Jose office 01/09/2008
Application approved 02/21/2008
OL - Still waiting for OL

Interview Completed

Hi, Me and my wife completed our interview today. It was pretty standard. Raise hand to swear the truth, quickly walking through the details in the application :Updated trips (I had one), any tickets, employer etc. Was asked to sign in the form in cursive in 2 places and also the pictures. Was asked to write a sentence at the bottom of the form in english. Then was given a sheet of paper with 10 questions. I read and answered all 10. The office was very happy. I was given the letter with passed english and civics test and application recommended for approval. I was told the oath letter will be sent in about 2 months. Very similar experience for my wife

Here's the scary part: Our interview was at 2:30. We left home around 1:30 so that there is ample time to commute and park. As we reached the USCIS office, I realized I had not carried my Passport and green card. :-(. Got back home which is a good 15 mins drive. Got home at 2pm. Picked up the docs and reached the CIS office at 2:18. We checked in and was asked to go to room 219 window 1 where we saw about 20-25 people waiting. After a while I saw one office come outside and tell some of the folks that it will be 1 hour before he can get to them. Hearing that, I was up for a long wait. Within a couple of mins, another office called my name and we went to his room. Same followed for my wife and we were back home by 3pm.
So please check all your docs before heading there or at least once in the car. Just so that you dont end up getting a traffic ticket since I heard some folks in this forum who got a ticket before oath or before interview etc.

Other details are in my signature

Update on the infopass

For my USC since wife got the OL, and i am still waiting, though all dates (PD,ND,FD,ID etc) are the same for both of us, I took an infopass to at least know i didn't miss the mail or they haven't forgotten about it.
(Bobsymth: since i had already taken the appt, instead of cancelling and trying CS line, as you suggested, i just went there and it was quick.)
I reached there around 20-25 mins early, as usual, got called in 5 mins, and after talking and waiting at the window with the IO for around 15 mins, i was out by the time of appointment.
The lady IO was nice. She said we don't hold anybody, let me check why you did not get the OL. She checked everything and told me everything is approved, and then said you are scheduled for a later date for which letters are not dispatched yet.
She also said she will try to put me and wife together on the same date, and i will get the intimation by mail.
When asked why did the two of us got different Oath dates, she said all she can think of is that maybe the capacity got over for the date when my wife's Oath is scheduled, that is why i am scheduled for the next one.
At least i know i did not lose the mail or its not stuck somewhere else.
So overall a good experince, i hope i should just get the OL sometime soon.
For the 1st time, while dealing with any govt agency, i felt they were already treating me like a citizen. :) Maybe it was just me.

My InfoPass appointment regarding oath letter

I had my info pass appointment on wednesday (16th).
The gentleman who helped me said "You didn't get your oath letter yet, because it hasn't been mailed yet". Then he looked my case up on his machine and said that I am scheduled for May 16th and I should expect the letter in the next few days.

nitinkrsri -- probably you too are in the same batch.

A quick update on my timeline:

04/07/2008: Fedex'ed to CSC
04/08/2008: CSC received (Priority Date)
04/09/2008: Check cashed
04/15/2008: Notice Date
04/18/2008: Notice Received

Received Form N-445 (Notice of Oath ceremony)

I received the Oath letter today for the ceremony on May 16th @10:30am

Got the OL for me and revised one for wife

Hi Folks
Just wanted to update that after the infopass, as they told me, i got scheduled for the next OD which is May 16. They also changed my wife's from May 2 to May 16, just to keep us together (they tried to put me on May 2, but there was no vacancy)

here are all details.

• N-400 Mailing Date: May 30, 2007
• N-400 Delivery Date: June 02, 2007
• Priorty Date: June 04, 2007
• Notice Date: June 19, 2007
• Fingerprint Notice: August 01, 2007
• Fingerprint App/Done: August 23/24, 2007
• Interview Notice Date: December 27, 2007
• Interview Date: February 28, 2008
• Oath Notice (N-445) Date: April 16, 2008
• Oath Receipt Date: April 18, 2008
• Oath Date: May 16, 2008

Infopass experience and update

I wanted to provide a quick update on my case. I decided to go ahead and schedule an infopass to figure out where things stood. The infopass appointment went very smoothly and the IO I spoke with was helpful and courteous.
He was able to check at what stage my case was, and said the name check and FBI biometrics check were done and all that was needed was for them to send over the letter for the interview. When I tried to get a sense for when that could be though, he couldn't give me a clear answer. He said it was very difficult to predict at this time.

For what it is worth, I thought I should share the experience on this forum.

Srija
San Jose DO
PD 12/26/07
FP Notice Date 01/04/08
FP Done 01/31/08
Infopass Done 04/18/07

So tomorrow is a big day (Oath) for some of us.

Other than my Oath letter and Green Card, is there anything else I should bring with me?

Do I need to memorize the pledge of allegiance ?

Anything else we should know for tomorrow's Oath?

Thank you