San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Iterview done March 19 2008 in San Jose. waiting for Oath letter.

Folks,
Apologise for the late update. I had my interview done on March 19th in SanJose. Based on the timelines, looks like folks with interview dates around this time are just recieving oath letters.

Service Center: CSC
District Office: San Jose
Mailed Date: 6-20-2007
PD Date: 6-29-2007
Finger Print Notice Received 8-28-2007
Finger Print Date 9-18-2007
Interview Letter Received Date 1-28-2008
Interview Date/Completed 3-19-2008
Oath Notice :??
Oath ??

Adding myself to this thread...
Congrats to all who have cleared through all the hurdles.

Just got my FP one on April 25th.

Am I looking at another 6 - 9 months for the IL ?

Good luck to everyone...

Oath Done

We completed our oath's today and that culminates our naturalization process. Our sincere thanks to Huracan, ahsieh, et al for providing helpful information on these forums, congratulations to fellow oath takers and best wishes to people still in the queue.

Now onto our oath experience...

1. They do allow jeans, camera's and cell phones, but you need to put the cell phone on silent mode.

2. My wife and I had different oath times for today, but they allowed us to take the oath together. They'll do that so long as they have the naturalization certificate.

3. One woman had showed up without an invitation letter. Apparently she was supposed to have her oath in Feb, but missed the invite due to address change. As per her story, when she called USCIS she was asked to just attend this ceremony. But naturally due to lack of certificate, the officers at the ceremony didn't allow her to attend but instead asked her to schedule INFOPASS and was assured that she'll get scheduled for the next ceremony. Man, you should have heard her talk to USCIS officer -- I've never even imagined someone could talk to an immigration officer like that.

4. They had formed multiple queues outside the theater before allowing people inside. Some officers were going about looking at how the applicants had filled the questionnaire on the invite. Then they would scribble a row no. although eventually those row assignments were overruled by another officer at the door of the theater.

5. Once inside the theater, they gave us a packet of papers (letter from President Bush), US flag, booklet for oath+pledge+national anthem and another for constitution and declaration of independence.

6. They took oath invite and green card at the row, while assigning a seat.

7. As mentioned earlier by others before, they have voter registration instructions in 5 languages (English, Vietnamese, Chinese, Tagalog and Spanish).

8. They had brought a lady to sing the national anthem and she did a very good job at it.

9. Then they went through the list of countries whose citizens were naturalizing in the session. 472 applicants from 52 countries, mostly from China, Mexico, India, Philipines and Vietnam. One of the 'countries' mentioned was 'Hong Kong'.

10. There were speeches by 2-3 USCIS officers and some video about immigrants and quotes by other naturalized citizens.

11. Then they administered oath of allegiance followed by some minor celebration and mutual congratulations between new citizens.

12. One Chinese lady, apparently a news anchor on local Chinese TV channel, spoke about becoming a US citizen. She became quite emotional and thankfully didn't give a long and winding speech. Then another lady applicant administered the pledge. Both the ladies were given their naturalization certificate on the stage.

13. Then they played some videos such as voter registration info, speech by President Bush and one generally patriotic song.

14. Distribution of naturalization certificate was the last activity. Some people got their naturalization certificate at their seat and others got it on their way out of their row. They do confirm your name while giving the certificate.

15. They hand voter registration packets on your way out of the theater seating area.

16. The process started about 15-20min later than scheduled and took another hour to finish. The oath and pledge don't take more than 5min. Overall, it is a very well organized process and handled with no confusion. The USCIS officers were helpful, cheerful and quite accommodating. There is a separate upstairs gallery for your friends and family and you'll generally hear some infant going kwyaaa...

I hope people taking oath at Campbell Heritage Theater will find this information useful, though my guess is there will be minor variations from ceremony to ceremony.

Looks like Amicus was there on the 10 AM seating ... Sorry I didn't post my experience before .. I was sick for the past few days (right after Oath!) .. Amicus explained everything in detail, my experience :- Just do a CTRL - C and CTRL - V from Amicus ...

I just want to thank every one of you, specially Huracan for providing useful information through out the process. I am moving to East Coast to be with my family. I will also apply my passport there.

Good luck to every one and have fun. At least for sometime, I will be online and will be checking the forum

Thanks,
bk

IV experiences

I owe much to this forum, so wish to share my interview experiences so that others benefit and the reason why this is such a great forum.
Some background on my case.
1. Me and my wife applied in the 5 year case
2. I received GC through my employer and I have been with the same employer from the time in US(1999 to present)
3. Number of trips outside the US in the 5 year period = 4
4. One trip 10 months to India, had medical certificate for sick mother
5. Continued to work from India for 4 months for the same US company. Had to resign from India and joined after return from India
6. Stored essential stuff with a friend of mine during the long trip to India
7. Filed with N400, the following so as to assert that continuous residence is not broken -
a. 5 year tax return, b. Bank credit cards c. 401 k accounts d. Certificate from employer on work in India and back here

8. Both me and wife had interview on same date, and hers was scheduled 20 minutes prior to mine
9. I was called around 5 minutes after my time and IO went through the papers, and did not make much fuss on the 10 month absence, only asked if the taxes were paid, and why I had gone. I mentioned that mother was ill and had a certificate. IO did not ask for the certificate. I also mentioned that I had stored my stuff in the US
10. Both our kids also came with us to India and back, though I did not have to mention it.
11. Due to a change in address (we called over phone, and by mistake an incorrect ZIP was recorded)my wife’s file could not be traced and another IO told us that they would sent for the file ASAP and let us know of the new interview date for my wife.

Overall my IV experience was smooth.

Wife’s IV experiences
1. Wife’s IV was around 45 days from mine
2. She is not working and was asked a few questions on continuous residence, such as did you own/lease a home, own a car etc to which she answered no and said that we filed taxes, retained bank accounts, 401K etc
3. She also was asked how she obtained GC. She answered that it was through husband and he had passed for citizenship interview
4. Other than that general questions on the N400 and 10 questions from History
5. In general she was asked more questions and IV took around 30 mins while mine was around 15 mins
6. Officer told that she had passed the IV
7. My wife thanked the Officer and requested if she can get the same oath date as mine (May 22). The Officer looked at his computer and mentioned that it was full and to expect it in 60 days time

Our timeline is as follows
Applied - 6/11
Priority date - 6/13
FP done 9/6 -
IV Notice - 1/11
IV notice received - 1/16
IV Date - 3/ 10,
Oath notice - 4/24
Oath - 5/22

Wife’s second IV date - 4/25
Wife Oath - ?

scth61, thanks for your detailed experience. Yes, you're right this is always useful for people who like to know about interview experiences in San Jose.

I filed for Citizenship in mid-August 2007 and my Fingerprinting was done in December 2007 and even after 4 months no idea what is happening. I got an appointment using Infopass this afternoon and they said that my name is still under Name Check.

How long does Name Check typically take? Is there any other person who applied in August and is in the same boat as I am in?

various

I think this really varies. I had friends who are from same country and filed their AOS, N-400 paper work around the same time (if not earlier than mine) and some of them had name checks completed earlier and some are still waiting for their AOS. I think it depends on how popular your name is and the country you are from. I think in a sense, it might also have something to do with how long you have been in this country.

just my 2 cents

I filed for Citizenship in mid-August 2007 and my Fingerprinting was done in December 2007 and even after 4 months no idea what is happening. I got an appointment using Infopass this afternoon and they said that my name is still under Name Check.

How long does Name Check typically take? Is there any other person who applied in August and is in the same boat as I am in?

Received spouse OL , the Oath is scheduled for May 23rd at San Jose .
No update on mine (-:

Last edited by a moderator:
The name of director (officer in charge) in San Jose

Hi ,

Sorry for a duplicated post.

I am looking for the name of director (officer in charge) of San Jose field office.
I need it to file my 1447b.

I googled one day yesterday, but I could not find any luck.

The only information I got was posted in 2006. I don't know it is still accurate or not.

I wonder any of you have this piece of information.

Many thanks!!

waitforsolong,
Your name check is fresh completed so office will send you OL for June or July ceremony. During info pass in April I was told to wait till June or July. Just write letter to Head of San Jose office with questions “Why”. Believe me it works well.
Name check is pending
Name check is cleared 09/10/2007
Second FP 12/06/2007
Form I-215W delivered to San Jose office 01/09/2008
Application approved 02/21/2008
Oath scheduled - 05/22/2008

T_D,

I would wait if I can afford. But, I cannot.

The thing is that your case has been approved for 3 months before you got your oath letter, while my case is still in pending till now.

I really cannot trust USCIS will do anything good for me without my further effort.

But, I really appreciate your support and help.

In March I called 1-800 number explained everything and was transferred to person who has access to INS files. She told me when my case was approved. Then during info pass appointment I was told that I have fresh completed name check so I can wait. Many applicants have name check completed in July and August they will get OL first. I believe that your OL will be for June Ceremony.

Quick update:

04/07/2008: Fedex'ed to CSC
04/08/2008: CSC received (Priority Date)
04/09/2008: Check cashed
04/15/2008: Notice Date
04/18/2008: Notice Received
04/21/2008: FP Notice
05/01/2008: FP done

Hi T_D,

Thanks for your information.

The reason for me to worry about is that my case has *not* been approved as you and other guys.

I tried 1-800 number, infopass, congressman office for more than 3 months now. All the routes told me that my case is still on pending due to further investigation. This investigation is not FBI name check. It is issued by the n400 supervisor who is reviewing my case, after everything else got ready. However, this same supervisor has been reviewing and investigating me for more than 3 months now.

No other router can really help me to make sure that supervisor will finish investigating me during the certain time. Without his/her approval, oath letter will be endless waiting.

If my case is clearly approved as yours, I probably will feel less worried and try wait for next month's ceremony.

Has anybody who applied for Citizenship in August 2007 (priority date) got any further than Finger Printing at CSC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath time frame for March Interviews

Is there anyone who had their interview done in March still waiting for Oath letter ?

------------------------------------------
PD:06/29/2007
ID:03/18/2008
OL:??

Is there anyone who had their interview done in March still waiting for Oath letter ?

------------------------------------------
PD:06/29/2007
ID:03/18/2008
OL:??

Yes. I did my Interview on March 20th and I am still waiting for my Oath letter. Spouse too had his interview on March 20th but got his Oath letter. Oath is on May 22nd at 3.00p.m.
No response for OL for mine. Should I worry? Has anybody else in this state? Should I call USCIC and find out? We are travelling on May 22nd to Miami and so wondering if mine would come in 1 or 2 days and on May 23rd or so?
PLease advise.

name check is before or after interview

name check happens when before oath or after interview or before interview